PDA

View Full Version : bullet drawings

rsg3
01-11-2009, 10:13 AM
I work with cnc lathes alot and thought it would a cool project to try to make my own bullets for my .44 mag. Unfortunately i don't know enough about bullet designs and performance to try to come up with my own drawings. I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is a source for bullet drawings and also what type of metal would be best? I have seen some bullets in magazines recently that looked to be made of brass , but i'm not sure what alloy would be good for bullets. Any help would be appreciated.

deltaenterprizes
01-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Brass is illegal for handgun bullets because they are considered "armor piercing", copper is allowed.

jcunclejoe
01-12-2009, 12:55 AM
The most common material used for pistol bullets or jackets is an alloyy called Giulding metal. It is an alloy of copper and zinc. Usually 90-95% copper and 10-5% zinc.
Hope this helps some.
Joe

Tom Myers
01-12-2009, 07:10 AM
I work with cnc lathes alot and thought it would a cool project to try to make my own bullets for my .44 mag. Unfortunately i don't know enough about bullet designs and performance to try to come up with my own drawings. I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is a source for bullet drawings and also what type of metal would be best? I have seen some bullets in magazines recently that looked to be made of brass , but i'm not sure what alloy would be good for bullets. Any help would be appreciated.

rsg3,

I am in the process of developing a software package for cast bullet design and evaluation.

The software works well but user compatibility issues are still being addressed so the program is not yet ready for distribution. However, I may be able to provide you with drawings and sketches that are useful.

Although the software is now more sophisticated than what is indicated, the following link details the process.

Cast Bullet Design (http://www.uslink.net/~tom1/draw/draw.htm)

If you think the drawings would be useful, you can PM me for more details.

Tom Myers
Precision Ballistics and Records (http://www.uslink.net/~tom1/)

cupter
01-13-2009, 06:47 AM
yeh!!!!!! like deltaenterprizes points out "brass" is consider illegal?.................wait a couple of weeks ......you will then see what's illegal>>>>>>>>>
cupter:roll:

rsg3
01-13-2009, 10:58 PM
thanks for the tip on brass guys, i was looking at a magazine the other day and i saw some bullets made by Grizzly (i think) that looked like they were some sort of brass alloy. I will have to try some copper. Mr. Myers, thanks for your post i will check you site out when i get a little more time.