PDA

View Full Version : Tight position for .22 rf and air psitol silhouette

Doug Bowser
01-11-2009, 03:54 AM
I am a pistol instructor and I would like to show everyone the position that is used by the best teams at 4H nationals for .22 rf and ar pistol silhouette. The only restriciton is that the elbows may not touch the sides of the body and the hand or telescope may not touch the head or cap. his ought to be a great style for squirrel and other small gane hunting. I have set up a Ruger Mark II with a 1" riser and a 2.5x10x42mm Tasco Varmint telescope with mildots and parralax adjustment. I will make a report on accuracy at 40-50-75 and 100 yards.

This position is almost as stable as the standing position with a rifle. The shooters are shooting the IZH-46M .177 air pistol. The young shooters are from Texas.

waksupi
01-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the pics, Doug. I imagine if you could anchor your elbows, and use your cap bill, you really could lock in tight with this position. I'll give it a try.

GrizzLeeBear
01-13-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't shoot pistol silhouettes anymore, but thats what is know as the "taco" hold. The shooter on the right (wearing baseball cap) has a better stance than the one on the left. His head is upright and feet are not to far apart (shoulder width). It is a very stable stance (for standing anyway). I used to use my scoped contender for silhoettes and for squirrel hunting to very good effect using the taco hold.

Doug Bowser
01-13-2009, 11:03 PM
I don't shoot pistol silhouettes anymore, but thats what is know as the "taco" hold. The shooter on the right (wearing baseball cap) has a better stance than the one on the left. His head is upright and feet are not to far apart (shoulder width). It is a very stable stance (for standing anyway). I used to use my scoped contender for silhoettes and for squirrel hunting to very good effect using the taco hold.

Grizz,

Thanks for the name. I have seen this position since 2002. Now I know the name of it. The Texas boys really kicked butt with this position in 2007.