PDA

View Full Version : sizer ?

bisley45
01-07-2006, 10:04 AM
I am new at this casting thing and was woundering with a lee sizer how do you get the lube in the bullet I know that you yous the lee lube but is that all you have to do the bullet in ? is a lee 452-255-RF not one of the tumble type bullets

SharpsShooter
01-07-2006, 10:38 AM
You could pan lube them and then run them through the Lee.

bisley45
01-07-2006, 10:47 AM
what is pan lube ?

SharpsShooter
01-07-2006, 11:04 AM
You use your chioce of boolit lube. Place the boolits in a pan on their base, then pour melted lube into the pan until the level reaches the top lube groove. After it cools, use a unsized case to cookie cut the boolits free of the lube. Then run them through the Lee sizer to finish. Note that you do have to drill a hole in the head end of the unsized case to allow you to push the boolit out after it is free of the lube.

versifier
01-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Liquid Alox works fine with non-tumble lube bullets. Testing determines if it is the best alternative for the individual firearm. There are other variables that can cause barrel leading: bullet diameter, alloy used, gas check, chamber pressure. The fun is in the experimenting to come up with a combination that works for your gun. :castmine:

bisley45
01-07-2006, 08:19 PM
thanks guys

357tex
01-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Bisley 45
To pan lube I use a mint tin to stand the bullets in &cut the head off a fired unsized case.That way they stack up in side and come out the top. Liquid Alox does work well on most pistol bullets and some rifle bullets.I use lots of it in rifles. :lovebooli Also I set the tin of lube under my desk lamp to melt.its slow but as I sit in and work ,I can change them out ever 15 min or so.

Buckshot
01-08-2006, 08:20 AM
..........bisley45, As has been mentioned, plain ole Lee Liquid Earwax works just fine unless you contemplate really getting after it, load wise. First of all it's a good idea to thin the LA down with a bit of paint thinner. I mix about 30% (volumn) with the lube, then drop a slug through the neck of the bottle to act like a spray piant can agitator ball. The mix WILL settle over time.

http://www.fototime.com/E5F797678DB6438/standard.jpg
The thinned LA provides a nice even coat, as you can see here on A and C.

http://www.fototime.com/0EC721E256DE02F/standard.jpg
Here is a picture of boolit 'A' from above after being run up through a push through size die. The grooves pretty well filled with the lube when sized. Since this design is a plain base projected velocity from the rifle it was to be shot in was held to 1250 fps or less. There was no leading.

If you're wondering, the one ont he right was the result of wanting to go faster so I swaged on a GC 8).

For target shooting in pistol matches I have a K38 Smith. Ammo for it is nothing more then the Lee 358-148WC cast of pure lead from a 6 cavity mould. Th eslugs are tumble lubed in LA. They're then loaded over 2.7grs of Bullsey. It's superbly accurate and ZERO leading. It is NOT a TL boollit design.

http://www.fototime.com/68E891AD4F08210/standard.jpg
The slug on the right was tumble lubed as cast then run up through a size die. As it's a 340gr slug I don't care to run it too hot in my Vaquero and 900 fps is plenty of whomp for me. In this application also, tumble lube works really well.

.....................Buckshot

buck1
01-09-2006, 12:40 AM
I smear it in to the groves before I size it, Works good. ....Buck