PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Moulds

Beekeeper
01-10-2009, 08:17 PM
I received my first Lyman mould today.
I have always used Lee before.
Do all of you that use Lyman wear wrist braces?
It is only a 2 holer bet after using Lee if weighs a ton.
I can cast about 250 boolits in a session but with this thing I'll be locky to get 100 and will probably have to see the orthopedic surgeon when I'm through.

This gives me even more appreciation for the old time casters who only used Lyman.

survivalists Dad

TexRebel
01-10-2009, 08:24 PM
I received my first Lyman mould today.
I have always used Lee before.
Do all of you that use Lyman wear wrist braces?
It is only a 2 holer bet after using Lee if weighs a ton.
I can cast about 250 boolits in a session but with this thing I'll be locky to get 100 and will probably have to see the orthopedic surgeon when I'm through.

This gives me even more appreciation for the old time casters who only used Lyman.

survivalists Dad

Try this one for a few hours :twisted:
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk302/Texrebel_album/IMG_0429.jpg

Beekeeper
01-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Is there anything special I need to know about set up for the Lyman mould that is different from a Lee?
Never used one before and don't want to waste any more time than I have to.
How about heating the mould?
I heat the Lee's on top of the pot. Can I do the same with the Lyman?

survivalists Dad

runfiverun
01-10-2009, 10:50 PM
yes you can, i have a little stand that i put my molds on for pouring.
just clean them, heat and pour.

John Boy
01-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Is there anything special I need to know about set up for the Lyman mould that is different from a Lee?
No - just read this
http://www.longrangebpcr.com/8Phases.htm

Hunter
01-10-2009, 11:15 PM
I never really thought of the weight of the molds, I reckon it is what you get used to.

Green Frog
01-10-2009, 11:21 PM
S/D, I may be a little strange (OK, I am a lot strange :mrgreen: ) but I like the advantages of the iron mould, but not the weight. My solution is to seek out the old, small block, single cavity moulds that Lyman (and before them, Ideal) used to offer before somebody told them people would be more impressed if they used more metal in their blocks. :???: I don't cast for large volume, but for high quality for my schuetzen and lead bench rest bullets, so this system works great for me. I've never been able to get the knack of making aluminum moulds perform well. :oops:

Froggie

mtgrs737
01-10-2009, 11:29 PM
I have and use a lot of Lyman 4 cavity moulds, they are heavy but cast boolits so fast I don't notice. My moulds wear Ricks Canadian KAL handles that move the mold block back a bit so they balance a bit better.

Diegotitan
01-10-2009, 11:41 PM
given time maybe have the forearms of Popeye!!! An it's a lot easier than beating leadokm(sp) into cast iron pipe joint

The Nyack Kid
01-11-2009, 12:45 AM
given time maybe have the forearms of Popeye!!! An it's a lot easier than beating leadokm(sp) into cast iron pipe joint

Shhhh, don't be tellin everybody my secrets to getten buff .

Feel the Burn ? Feel the Burn ? No, it is not molten lead ........ O.K. maybe it was molten lead !

Anyways if you are used to casting with aluminum molds , be advised that the Iron molds and aluminum molds hold heat differently . Iron mold hold heat longer , when casting big boolits , I find that I need to use two differant molds to keep a steady pace for best bullet consistancy . I don't like slowing down , waiting for alloy to cool . It is posable to cast a goodly pile of boolits this way. others have found ways around this "problem" I look at it as eficient use of my time .

Tom Herman
01-11-2009, 12:54 AM
I have three of them right now, and can cast all day with them just fine.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

medicstimpy
01-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Cast Iron Lyman & RCBS 2 cav's aren't even close to being as heavy as Lee 6 cav's. Unless you have a problem with your wrist, I can't see any trouble with an extended casting session with a Lyman 2 cav mold. ;)

Echo
01-11-2009, 01:36 PM
I built up the base of my Saeco and Lyman furnaces with 1bys, so the mold, when slid onto the platform, is just right under the spout. I don't need Popeye forearms!

Diegotitan
01-11-2009, 03:25 PM
All kidding aside if your pot if it doesn't have a slide for your moulds get a 6"x2" piece of SS channel so you can slide your molds on it and it will make easier clearing off the over pour . Also be sure that leave enough distance between the pourer and the channel to slide the molulds in and out.

Dan Cash
01-11-2009, 03:54 PM
I use a ladle and rest the big molds on the edge of the pot as I pour. The rest of me gets tired before my arms.

DLCTEX
01-11-2009, 05:15 PM
When I cast with my RCBS double cavity molds and use KAL's fine handles, I find it necessary to use a rest (bottom pour) and then rest the mold on the table as much as possible to reduce wrist fatigue. I am not a wimp, 6'1", 220 lbs., but find it tiring for an extended casting session. I don't find it necessary for Lee molds. DALE

mainiac
01-12-2009, 10:49 PM

Holy crap texrebel, that tape measure looks plum wore out, must be older than the hills!

Bret4207
01-13-2009, 08:43 AM

Try the 10 cavity! It's even bigger!!!! Got one for the #50 WC and it's a bear to handle. Gotta use a rest.