PDA

View Full Version : As Cast Weight Distribution Lee 309-113F

Beaverhunter2
01-10-2009, 03:23 PM
I tried posting a chart but couldn't get it to work.

I got a Lee 309-113F mold and a digital scale delivered by the Fedex man this morning. Obviously they needed to be used right away!

I cleaned and lubed the mold, warmed it up, and cast 50 boolits from each cavity. I scrapped the first 20 boolits from each cavity getting things going. (Mostly because I decided to separate them by cavity for this analysis.) One interesting thing, the inside cavity boolits lacked the sharp corners on the base- unless I filled it first (ladle casting). The outside cavity didn't seem to care either way. I then weighed them "As Cast"- no gas checks (still on order) or lube.

The outside cavity is very consistent IMHO- 42 of the 50 were within .2 gr of average (114.8 gr. with ACWW). Total spread= 1.1 gr.

The inside cavity was a little less so. Only 31 of the 50 boolits were within .2 gr of the average (114.0 gr.). Total spread 1.1 gr. Even the ones with really crisp bases run lighter than the outside cavity boolits. (I culled the ones that were really obviously rounded.)

A few questions for the experts:

How much variability do you accept in boolit weight before you cull them?

The diameter is comparable in both cavities at .312" +/- .0005. Would it be worth trying to open up the inside cavity a tiny bit to gain the weight?

Any thoughts on why the inside cavity is so temperamental about going first?

I'm hoping to get this boolit up to 1800-2000 fps out of a .30-30 and a .30-06 for coyotes. Should I be water-quenching or trying to harden my alloy?

Lastly, I'm using Lee sizers in a Rockchucker and want to get the boolit to .309". Should I step size them (I have a .311" sizer and a .309")?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

John

GrizzLeeBear
01-10-2009, 05:31 PM
That weight distribution doesn't sound too bad, with the loads your talking about I bet they will shoot into the same group (minute of coyote at least). Since you said you want them to be .309, does that mean you have slugged the barrels of your rifles at .308? You shouldn't have any trouble sizing them in one pass to .309 from .312. Don't know why the inner cavity would cast different if it is poured 1st or 2nd, but if it casts better being poured 1st, cast them that way.
Anyway, try shooting a few groups with them without weight segregating and then a few groups segregating them into +/- .5 grain and see if it makes much difference. It might not make any, or at least not enough to matter.

35remington
01-10-2009, 05:38 PM
I'd shoot the bullets first, and let the rifle determine if the variation between the two cavities is significant or not. Divide them by cavity and shoot. You'll soon know.

There may be a slight difference in sprue plate gap that influences venting and fillout. My guess.

Same thing about the water quenching - shoot and see. If you're using a fast pistol/shotgun powder to obtain the needed speed a harder bullet will probably be needed.

In any event, to obtain the needed 2000 fps powders like 2400, 4227 and 4759 may work better than the fast pistol/shotgun powders but with more blast and noise.

I could never get the C113F to shoot at 2000 fps with pistol/shotgun powders as well as they did at around 15-1600 fps in the 30-06. Even when cast of linotype.

A straight ACWW bullet will offer some expansion at 2000 fps at normal calling ranges, but I'm predicting the best success will be with the aforementioned fast rifle powders.

One of my C113F moulds shows a variation between cavities, but I keep them segregated and it's not a problem. The second C113F shows no significant variation between cavities.

Guess which one gets the most use?

Sizing them to .309 in the Lee push through sizer is no problem. That is also what I do.

Beaverhunter2
01-10-2009, 06:12 PM
:-DThanks for the insight, guys.

I slugged the .30-06 at .308". It's my daughter's and I thought this could be a good plinking/practice/small game boolit.

I haven't slugged the .30-30 yet. It's at the gunsmith getting the scope mounting holes redrilled and tapped. The three original #6-40 screws stripped out from too many 12 gauge magnum loads. I'm going to #8-40s and adding a fourth screw. (The gun is actually a 24F I'm going to use for coyote calling.) The Lee boolit is (hopefully) going to serve as a medium range load for when I'm calling in the woods and the critter is too far for the scattergun.

I've been shooting FLGCs with A2230 and H4198. I was planning to try 2400 for the cast so I guess I'm on the right course, 35Rem. I'm sure the targets will tell!

One last question (for this thread anyway :oops:). I have a Lee 170gr on order and plan to pick up RD's 165gr when it comes available. I'm considering getting one more mould and asking Buckshot to hollow point it for me. Any suggestions?

This boolit casting is really addicting! I hear guys saying they like the 6 bangers to speed up the process. Personally I'm happy with the two-holers and don't mind my one cavity slug and BP moulds. I enjoy the casting as much as the shooting- maybe more! :grin:

John