PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about Buckshot and Hollow Points

MakeMineA10mm
01-10-2009, 01:40 AM
Sorry if I mislead you, and sorry to Ken for posting this in the wrong forum, but this forum gets the most traffic, and I wanted this seen by all who may be interested.

There have been plenty of threads talking about hollow-pointing your mould, and we all know our resident hollow-pointing machinist here is BUCKSHOT.

Well, I recently had quite some lengthy discussions with him about doing a mould with two different hollow point spud designs. He received the mould, did the work, and sent it back in like TWO WEEKS! But this isn't even the start of how good this man's work is.

I was lucky in that someone else had done a very similar design just recently with him. I made one change to that by drawing on the picture that was posted, and mailed it off. The spud for that came back EXACTLY what I had envisioned (even though my drawing was pathetic).

I asked him to do a second complete spud-handle assembly. (I'm lazy, so for an extra $5 it was worth it to me to have the second spud already installed in a handle with a stop and set-screw.) This one I gave him no drawing on and just told him I liked the concave-convex double-radius of the inside of Winchester JHPs. Well, darned if he didn't make a pin that comes as close to achieving that as we can while still making it a castable design!

Then, he also enclosed two extra spuds with yet two more different HP designs. The first closely duplicates what the original Lyman pin would do in that mould. (And, just to show off his machining ability - the hole for my previous two spuds was bigger than the Lyman pin dia., so BUCKSHOT made a step perfectly matched to the meplat of the mould, so that even with the big HP hole in the mould, the boolit comes out with a narrower cavity.) The second one makes kind-of a cup-point; a blunt but large-dia. hollowpoint.

He threw those in free-of-charge!

Then it looks to me (I can't say for sure, because I bought this mould off another member here and had him ship it straight to BUCKSHOT, so I never saw it before he worked on it) like he re-built the sprueplate with replacement washers to make the tension adjustable on the sprue plate. No charge for that either!

This is certainly no way to run a business!! :mrgreen:

Just wanted everyone to know that Buckshot is a caster's friend and what he charges really just seems to pay for his materials. The work is excellent, but the kinship is even better! He's the kind of guy you appreciate being able to call "Pard." I hope we might get to ride together someday.

shotman
01-10-2009, 01:48 AM
he dont need the money He lives in CA and does wonderful work too rick

HeavyMetal
01-10-2009, 02:02 AM
I had Buckshot HP a couple molds for me and the work was excellent!

I have not yet gotten to that skill level with any of my gear and it's great to have access to that kind of skill!

OLPDon
01-10-2009, 12:57 PM
That Buckshot goes far and above on all that he does. I have asked him on the how too's of hollow pointing not only did he give me answers, pictures on the evolution of hollow pointing in great detail the kind of info that is found in the Machist Bible. He must of spent Hours compiling the info and put it together and posted it on the thread. Most expert or Master Machist will not share with great detail how they they get from point A to Point B, they will leave just a few steps out that make a job a work of art. Machining is a art just making tool bit and haveing it cut with a glass finish is talent.
I will see if I can find the thread on Buckshot's answer on Hollow Pointing a Mould and will post the link just so you can see the work it takes to complete the job. I am sure you will be even more impressed.
Don

Didn't find link for Hollow Point but his answer to should I harden die for swaging
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=114189#post114189

Found it: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=124624#post124624

GLL
01-10-2009, 02:01 PM
I have had Rick HP one or two moulds for me as well !

If fact I am sure none of his dresser drawers have ANY handles left on them at all ! :) :)

Beautiful craftsmanship by a GREAT guy !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/48F5B23791A6340/orig.jpg

leftiye
01-10-2009, 03:19 PM
I cannot begin to imagine how a hollowpointed buckshot could possibly work (heh,heh). He probly would object to the operation anyhooz.