PDA

View Full Version : HELP for a newbie PLEASE!!

ranger1962
01-09-2009, 11:58 PM
I am just starting on this new endevore ? todat was my first time to melt lead into ingots. As I was going through the WW bucket I found the stick on's . I seen where Goatlips says to pull these out since they are pure lead ? I shoot Cowboy action B/P sub. what is wrong with pure lead? Also I have a LITTLE lead pipe is this harder it sure takes more to melt it. Thanks Bill

ktw
01-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Some people separate the stick-ons from clip-on wheelweights because they have another use for the pure lead stick-ons. Some don't and leave them in. If you leave them in your wheelweight alloy may end up a little bit softer than if you had separated them out, but if it's a small percentage probably not enough to notice.

Alloys close to pure lead will have a higher melting temperature and take longer to melt than wheelweights.

-ktw

WHITETAIL
01-10-2009, 08:33 AM
:drinks:ranger1962, Welcome to the forum!

WHITETAIL
01-10-2009, 08:38 AM
ktw is right when he said almost pure lead takes alittle more heat.
When I smelt my lead I seperate the stickons and any other form
of pure lead.
Because I also shoot the Holy Black.:redneck:

Boerrancher
01-10-2009, 08:52 AM
For what ever I do, WW is my base alloy, and I blend from there. I Keep each alloy, be it WW, Pure, Lino or Mono, etc separate in ingots. I do my blends in my bottom pour Drip-o-matic. It is much easier to keep track of, and if I end up with an alloy that I don't like, it is a good deal easier to work with 20 lbs of it than it is 50 or 100.

My stick ons go in my pile with my pipe and range scrap. Since 95% or more of my range scrap comes from J type bullets, It is very close to pure. Since I shoot a lot of fur and not much paper, I also work toward getting the softest alloy possible for the velocities that I want to run. Knowing the composition of my alloy is a critical factor when I am skirting the edge of being too soft. A small hand full of stick ons tossed in to the melt can ruin my whole day.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Pepe Ray
01-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Be aware that stick on's CAN be tainted w/zinc as well as clip ons. Pay attention!
Look for the ID marks . If no marks visable check for hardness.
Lead is/ will be getting more scarce to the scrounger. Be cautious.
Pepe Ray

ranger1962
01-10-2009, 11:50 AM
O.K. so I will put the stick-ons in the pile of lead pipe (small pile) and save it for casting round ball or such. Thanks Bill

OLPDon
01-10-2009, 12:24 PM
There has been quite a few threads on zink WW As well as Stick on's and how to seperate them most of us use the low melting point of regular WW as the seperator.

If you do a search on Zink WW you will come up with tons on info the how too's, which make life easer.

Welcome to the addictive world of the silver stream. I feel it is half the fun of shooting. Can you save money casting well that was my orginial thought's however I now do it as a fun part of shooting, I have spent far more $$$$ on casting stuff to say I save money but the shooting sport is about enjoyment. And hunting down WW can be like a walk in the Woods & Fields.

The folks that are one the Cast Boolist Forum are some of the Best in the World.
Welcome Brother To The Casting Journey
Don

AZ-Stew
01-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Welcome aboard!

Lead and zinc flat stick-on weights are easy to separate. A 12 year-old girl can take a strip of lead ones and twist them alongh their length. The zinc ones require tools and a strong man. They're hard and usually painted.

If you don't get them all hand-sorted, keep your smelting temperature down in the 600-650 degree range and the zinc WWs will float to the top and can be fished out of the melt.

Regards,

Stew