PDA

View Full Version : .50 TC Maxi-Hunter HELP PLEASE

357maximum
01-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Very recently I became the owner of a beautiful TC-Hawken "COUGAR" silver hardware. My Dad traded it to me and he has spent alot of time on the range with it. He swears that the best thing it shoots is them 275 grain TC maxi-hunters that come 20- per pack. I have shot it enough to know he cannot be far wrong. The thing just shoots really well with the ones he gave me. Them are spent and it is time to get more.

I have an issue though...I cannot willnot buy the things when I know there is a mold that would make them or something real similar. I can't do it. I must make my own.

I have been searching and cannot find a mold for this particular boolit. All I can find is huge maxi ball molds. Lee does make that real boolit that is very similar, but them rounded drivebands make me leery of it....am I wrong to be leary of em or am I kookoo?

Suggestions for a mold please...I would like to stay less than 300 grains and have the same basic boolit profile as the maxi hunter.

I use only moose milk because it was suggested here to clean with and that has worked out swingingly so I ask ye ol stinkers to help yet again.

thank you
Michael

ihunts2much
01-09-2009, 11:25 PM
I have a 350 grain maxi-hunter mold and I think that was all TC sold. I don,t think they offered the 275grain mold. I was toying with the idea of having the bottom band and groove milled off of my 350 mold to make it a 275, but I don't want to modify a mold that I may have a hard time replacing. I see the 350's for sale once in a while but they seem to fetch a premium.

MT Gianni
01-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Mike Pm your address and I'll send you some Lee REALS to try when i get a roundtoit.

mooman76
01-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Mike Pm your address and I'll send you some Lee REALS to try when i get a roundtoit.

I had a roundtoit once but I lost it somewheres.

Seriously though, I have the mould for some Lee REALs to but I also have the mould for the Lee minies, improved and target if you would like to try some of those too and I know what you mean about making your own.

357maximum
01-10-2009, 12:37 AM

I had a roundtoit once but I lost it somewheres.

Seriously though, I have the mould for some Lee REALs to but I also have the mould for the Lee minies, improved and target if you would like to try some of those too and I know what you mean about making your own.

First let me say thanks for the much generous offers. Secondly I will say for what the P.O charges to ship anything heavy anymore I can pay for half the mold cost. So I will just buy the real mold and go from there. I do appreciate the offers though...truly thank you, man this place is wonderful.

Michael

MT Gianni
01-10-2009, 01:28 AM
Who said any thing about postal charges for a dozen bullets.

357maximum
01-10-2009, 02:24 AM
Who said any thing about postal charges for a dozen bullets.

My point was that no matter what it is going to cost somebody at least 2-4 bucks to ship anything made of lead in a box....for a mold that is really quite cheap to just order. I really appreciate the offer, it was damn kind of you. The members here never fail to amaze me with their generosity.

If you sit back and think about the postal service charge to ship them boolits compared to the percentage of the mold cost the next time i make an order online it just makes more sense to me to just order the cheap mold is all.

Besides that I am greedy I want to test a bunch of em:twisted:

mooman76
01-10-2009, 11:45 AM
That is true, I have sent BP bullets before and even a few add up in weight fast. Mine shoots good in my CVA with a 1/48 twist but I don't push them real hard and don't know your expectations. Offer stil stands if you cahnge your mind and want to try some minies later on. Good luck with your Lee REALs and I believe you will be happy with them.

Pioneer2
01-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Most find maxi-balls more accurate than MAXI-HUNTER.The HP is cosmetic as who needs a 1/2 "projectile expanding.Stevie Wonder could track any deer hit with it......................JMO..Harold

357maximum
01-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Most find maxi-balls more accurate than MAXI-HUNTER.The HP is cosmetic as who needs a 1/2 "projectile expanding.Stevie Wonder could track any deer hit with it......................JMO..Harold

I agree about the "DIMPLE" TC calls a HPoint in the maxihunter...as pointless. I have two rifles that seem to like this boolit and TC does not make the mold available...the maxiball is just too much mass for these two rifles however and somehow that just seems right with the universe huh.:roll:DOH

I am stepping out and making the bet that the same basic boolit configuration with meplate in place of the "DIMPLE" will work just fine...I hope to know someday soon. :-D I have played with the design on Mtn Moulds website and it looks "alot mo betta without the "DIMPLE" and I doubt Mr. Whitetail will walk away from the flat nosed version minus the "DIMPLE".

Pioneer2
01-16-2009, 03:46 AM
I cast Maxi-balls for a TC Renegade in .54 and a TC Hawken .50 the former a TC mold and the later Lyman.With the 1-48" twist they shoot just fine.TC sells this bullet in .58 but as far as I know never sold the mold to the public.I ended up getting a .54 Green Mt 1-70 twist for shooting ball for deer at longer range.Shot a small mulie buck with a homecast 230gr ball and recovered weight was still 217grs after destroying both shoulders at 75 yards.Flat as a 50 cent piece....................................100gr dose of FFG......................Harold