PDA

View Full Version : Altering lee slug mold

defib
01-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Has anybody tried removing the piece in the lee slug mold, so that it casts as a solid slug? If so how did it shoot? thanks.

turbo1889
01-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Removed the core pin entirely -- No

Filed down the tip of the core pin to make the slug heavier, more nose heavy, and stiffer and stronger in the nose impact point -- Yes. Works great, up to a certain point. If you go too far you start making the nose heavy balance worse not better and increase the "wad spin" factor. That being the situation where the wad spins with the barrels rifling but the slug inside doesn't spin along with the wad -- the heavier you make the slug inside the wad the more it will resist being spun by the rifling in the barrel. The Lee Slug mold is just a touch undersize and has more of a tendency to have problems with "wad spin" then the Lyman slug to start with and increasing the slug weight without also lapping the mold to increase the diameter a few thous. just agrivates this. Yah, I know the "drive key" is suppost to prevent this but when your putting 18 or 20 guage nitro cards under the slug inside the wad to keep from blowing the wad on hot loads that key thing don't do squat because it just grabs the nitro card.

Anyway, long story short, you can do it but when you change one thing in the load equation you end up having to adjust other things as well to compensate.

Silicon Wolverine
01-11-2009, 11:45 PM
i milled mine completely off to make a solid slug but i shoot out of mostly smoothbore guns so rifiling twist doesnt bother me. it works fine at shoter ranges but past 50 yards it starts to get wild. most of my shots with slugs are under that so it works for me.

SW