PDA

View Full Version : How many is too many

Beekeeper
01-07-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm sure this has run the gambit before but I thought I'd ask it again.
How many moulds do you have for each caliber you shoot?
How many is too many?
Is there a formula to help decide how many?

How about a little recourse on this!

survivalists Dad

lathesmith
01-07-2009, 09:54 PM
SD,
1) I can't remember how many molds per caliber I have.
2) There is no such thing as "too many".
3) Formula? See question #2.

lathesmith

beagle
01-07-2009, 10:35 PM
There is no such thing as too many. I have over 200 and if I could just find that one more......

Seriously, you can get a lot of money tied up in moulds. More than you can cast with which is where I am right now so I'm culling some back that I don't use.

Normally a couple for each caliber will do you nicely...../beagle

lunicy
01-07-2009, 10:38 PM
14,000 molds is too many. 13,999 is ok. I aspire to get 13,999. Once you have 14,000 molds, you become a weirdo.
:bigsmyl2:

uncle joe
01-07-2009, 11:08 PM
14,000 molds is too many. 13,999 is ok. I aspire to get 13,999. Once you have 14,000 molds, you become a weirdo.
:bigsmyl2:

Or maybe a LUNATIC????? :mrgreen:

rbwillnj
01-08-2009, 12:24 AM
That's like asking how many molds do you need.

The answer is always ONE MORE.

Echo
01-08-2009, 02:16 AM
I ascribe to the concept of 'If enough is enough, then too much is just right'. I'm not in the league of most folks on this board - only have 20<30 molds, but I'm tryin'!

Buckshot
01-08-2009, 03:37 AM
.............How boring would it be to have a 30-'06 and ONE mould, say the 311291. Without a doubt it'd shoot and shoot well considering the amount of time you'd have to wring it out. Having only the one mould, ya know? Once you get that done, THEN what do you do? Boring is what it would be and bored is what you'd be :-)

Moulds to a true cast booliteer is like jewelery is to a woman, only thing is that moulds are USEFULL. You can't eat, ride or shoot jewelery so what good is it? To a real boolit guy there is always just that one more you need. Pretty soon the idea of even counting them becomes a non-issue as what purpose does counting your moulds serve?

.................Buckshot

largom
01-08-2009, 08:00 AM
How many is too many?

survivalists Dad

!. All I can get
2. When you have more than 2 of every mold ever made.
3. Formula= $ left after paying bills = # of molds to buy.

You will find that casting is addictive, you will always want MORE molds, WW, lead, tools, equipment, Etc. Then you will want a new gun to see how it shoots cast boolits which will require even MORE.
LARRY

Bret4207
01-08-2009, 08:28 AM
As many as I can get!!!

No_1
01-08-2009, 08:32 AM
A "cast-zillion" of them is just about enough!

Jbar4Ranch
01-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm currently at 66 overall and haven't bought any in a year or so, so I think I'm getting close.

waksupi
01-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Anything worth doing, is worth doing in excess!

Crash_Corrigan
01-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I have been dirvorced over two years and I still live in a small rented room in somebody's house. I keep all my molds in two tall .50 cal ammo cans and they just about fit.

I will be moving shortly to a trailer park and with a 900 sq ft trailer and two sheds on the side I expect to be getting some more molds. I expect my casitng to be done on the covered porch facing north to keep me in the shade, have my gun safe in the bedroom alongside a mini refrigerator to keep my cold Guiness handy and my reloading to be done in the living room where I can listen to Sirrus Radio coming from my surround sound speaker system.

I no longer have a live in SMWBO so I can do what I want, when I want and where I want without getting any flack whatsoever. My diet and drinking habits are to be controlled only by me and I wll be able to go to the range at any time without having to perform a honey do list beforehand etc.

Threats to withhold indulgence in favorite activities hold no power over me anymore as I have forgotton how to indulge years ago and I would rather shoot or mold or smelt than roll around in sweaty sheets anyway. I have a decent retirement income, a F 150, a Triumph motorcycle and a safe full of interesting weapons to keep me out of bars and from chasing women.

Life is good and I intend to enjoy it for as many years as my maker lets me. I still have a few molds in .430 for which I have no gun. I am considering a new Ruger BH in .44 Special with a 4 5/8 bbl on the small 357 frame as soon as they are available. I already have a Ruger BH in 45 Colt/.45 ACP but I have heard good things about the accuracy and fun of shooting a .44 Special. I had a Ruger RedHawk in .44 Mag for a long time but this one had a really lousy trigger and about broke my arm with the weight so a smaller version gets me aroused.

At this stage in my life it does not take much to excite me and you never know what it around the corner?

wonderwolf
01-08-2009, 03:11 PM
I have been dirvorced over two years and I still live in a small rented room in somebody's house. I keep all my molds in two tall .50 cal ammo cans and they just about fit.

I will be moving shortly to a trailer park and with a 900 sq ft trailer and two sheds on the side I expect to be getting some more molds. I expect my casitng to be done on the covered porch facing north to keep me in the shade, have my gun safe in the bedroom alongside a mini refrigerator to keep my cold Guiness handy and my reloading to be done in the living room where I can listen to Sirrus Radio coming from my surround sound speaker system.

I no longer have a live in SMWBO so I can do what I want, when I want and where I want without getting any flack whatsoever. My diet and drinking habits are to be controlled only by me and I wll be able to go to the range at any time without having to perform a honey do list beforehand etc.

Threats to withhold indulgence in favorite activities hold no power over me anymore as I have forgotton how to indulge years ago and I would rather shoot or mold or smelt than roll around in sweaty sheets anyway. I have a decent retirement income, a F 150, a Triumph motorcycle and a safe full of interesting weapons to keep me out of bars and from chasing women.

Life is good and I intend to enjoy it for as many years as my maker lets me. I still have a few molds in .430 for which I have no gun. I am considering a new Ruger BH in .44 Special with a 4 5/8 bbl on the small 357 frame as soon as they are available. I already have a Ruger BH in 45 Colt/.45 ACP but I have heard good things about the accuracy and fun of shooting a .44 Special. I had a Ruger RedHawk in .44 Mag for a long time but this one had a really lousy trigger and about broke my arm with the weight so a smaller version gets me aroused.

At this stage in my life it does not take much to excite me and you never know what it around the corner?

Wow, you had me at Guinness....That sounds like the good life to me right there!

As to how many molds is too many? I would say once you start getting to the point you just start buying dups and trips of a mold that you don't use that often...you've just reached the starting point of "too many" as for me I sometimes wish there was a Magic mold that just one 4 cavity version would do everything I need in that one gun I shoot it out of....Oh wait its called the 429421 hehe :)

dromia
01-09-2009, 04:27 AM
I must have over a hundered moulds and I know thats not enough. :-D

StrawHat
01-09-2009, 06:13 AM
The answer depends on who you ask.

Ask me and I'll tell you I need more.

Ask my Mrs ....

No_1
01-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Now that was not fair at all.....

The answer depends on who you ask.

Ask me and I'll tell you I need more.

Ask my Mrs ....

Bret4207
01-09-2009, 09:01 AM

Comon' EllTee, take it easy on us married with kids types huh! Talk about twisting the knife.....:mrgreen:

Tom Herman
01-09-2009, 10:29 AM
How many is too many?
survivalists Dad

I like to keep things consistent, and hate to readjust seating depths in the Dillon tool holder, so I try to keep the molds at a minimum.
Less molds = more guns I can buy.
I have one for each caliber (.455 Webley, .44 SPL, .38 SPL) right now except for the .45 LC, where I found out that the Lyman 452424 doesn't feed in the Taurus Thunderbolt due to excessive COAL.
In that situation, I was forced to buy the Lyman 452664. It's a GREAT mold, the only fault is that it has a beveled base that makes it difficult to wipe excess lube off it. I just gave up, wipe the base once on a towel, and load it.
I may add a second .38 SPL mold (Lyman 358429), as I don't like the Lyman 358477. It's illustrated as having a deep square grease groove, but arrived with a shallow curved one. Bah. Humbug.
And I will most likely eventually cast for the .45 auto, where I will break down and have both a 200 gr SWC and a 230 gr RN mold...
Some people buy two of each, so they can alternate molds while casting, and make maximum use of their time. I'm simply too frugal to do that. I'll alternate between different molds, so when I cast .45 LC, I may alternate between the 424 and 664, or use the 664 and the .44 SPL 429421....
The proper answer is, of course, that you can never have too many molds!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

mold maker
01-09-2009, 11:45 AM
If you think you have TOO MANY, I'll happily store them for you. I'll even use them occasionally to avoid having them feel neglected and unwanted.
After all, Thats what friends are for???

Wayne Smith
01-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Aahh- you've got the question backwards. Take any one caliber, assemble information on all the available molds for it, and remove those you will never have any interest in trying. The rest, all the rest, are fair game!

When you've exhausted those, you are ready for Mountain Molds!