PDA

View Full Version : Toaster oven for heat treating

AZ-Stew
01-07-2009, 12:50 AM
About a year ago I picked up a cheap ($30 retail) toaster oven at a yard sale for $10. Figured on using it to heat treat boolits. Just got around to trying it to see if it would be suitable. I've read a lot of posts here complaining about wild temperature swings and decided to investigate for myself. A couple of years ago I picked up one of Harbor Freight's digital thermometers for the princely sum of $26 (+tax) to use for a casting thermometer. It's been a great tool for that concern. As it turns out, it's also a great tool for investigating the inner workings of a cheap toaster oven because the thermocouple can be placed almost anywhere within the volume of the oven cavity.

The first test consisted of weaving the thermocouple wire through the oven shelf grating so that it would hold a constant position. The tip (measuring point) of the thermocouple (henceforth called the TC) wire rested about an inch and a half inside the front glass door. I turned on the oven, set the dial for 400 degrees and watched the digital thermometer. The readings quickly climbed until they reached nearly 500 degrees before the heater shut off and the temperature began to decrease. I later learned that the thermostat is on the outside of the oven cavity inner wall, so the heat has to sink through that wall before the thermostat realizes that the oven is over temperature. No big deal. This just means that the oven must be turned on and the internal temperature allowed to normalize before putting the boolits inside. More on this later.

It took about a half hour for the oven to reach a stable temperature. A disappointing 340 degrees. I turned the temperature dial on the oven up to maximum (450+) and again waited for the oven to normalize. This time it settled out at 360 degrees, still not hot enough to heat treat. Well, says I, it's time to do some tweaking. I pulled the plug, opened the oven door and found something else to do for about a half hour while the oven cooled back to room temp. After removing some screws (too many) and figuring out how the sheet metal cabinet was assembled, I had finally uncovered the heart of the beast. The bad news was that the thermostat had been factory set (wrongly) and an anti-tampering adhesive had been applied to the adjustment screw. Fortunately, it succumbed to some persuasion in the form of a lot of grunting and groaning on my part as I applied excessive torque with a screwdriver while holding the thermostat against rotation with a pair of pliers. Fortunately, I didn't break anything. I had to guess at the proper direction to turn the screw. The thermostat has markings, but they aren't very clear. I took a small increment of change and then reassembled the oven to repeat the test. A stroke of good luck! I turned it the right direction, but not enough. After a half hour the oven settled at 390 degrees. Still not high enough, but at least I knew what I was doing when I took the oven apart again.

About ten minutes later I was ready to repeat the test. This time I hit 410. I was getting close, but there were some things about the test that bothered me. At each temperature increment I've mentioned so far, I've listed the average temperature. The minimum and maximum averages were about 13-15 degrees either side of the nominal average. I wondered if food would cook properly with such "wide" swings, though these are smaller than some others I've read about here. I began to think about the thermocouple placement and the fact that I wasn't measuring the temperature of the boolits (which is the object of the whole exercise), but rather the air temperature inside the oven. In addition, the TC was relatively close to the glass door of the oven and I could easily feel a lot of heat radiating out the front of the oven. Surely this didn't contribute to temperature stability inside the oven, or to my measurements. The other day, Jeff in NZ, I believe, mentioned that he had insulated a small oven to reduce temp swings, but I wanted to find out if this is necessary, or whether the oven can stand on its own for heat treating.

I came to the conclusion today that if I want to know how stable the temperature of the boolits will be during heat treatment, I should probably measure the temperature of one. And not near the oven door, but on the pan where the boolits will rest during treatment, farther back in the oven. When I got home from work I chucked up a reject boolit (RCBS .30-150FN) in my lathe and drilled a hole in the base about half the length of the boolit. I threaded the TC wire up into the hole and used a bit of casting scrap to wedge the TC wire in place. I placed the boolit on the pan and plugged in the oven. This time the initial temperature swing exceeded 600 degrees! I watched through the oven door as my boolit oozed into a puddle in the middle of the pan. Well, says I, this isn't going to give me exactly the results I want, because the boolit is no longer round, but more of a non-descript lump and it's unlikely that the TC is still in the middle of the mass. While I waited for the temperature to normalize, I grabbed another reject boolit and drilled out the base for the TC wire. The oven stabilized at about 440 degrees, this time with the TC near the middle of the oven, rather than near the glass door. Also, due to the mass of metal surrounding the TC, the temperature swings were much smaller, more like +/- 7 degrees. I'm onto something!

I pulled the melted boolit out of the oven and used a propane torch to melt it off the TC wire. I inserted the TC wire into the fresh boolit, placed it on the pan and shut the oven door. The oven quickly came back up to temp and settled at 447 +/- 4 degrees! I also discovered that air currents in the vicinity of the oven wreak havoc with temperature stability. Air currents passing through the louvers in the side of the oven where the thermostat resides fool it into premature heating cycles. When I sat still near the oven, rather than standing over it and breathing on it, the temperature was more stable. When I get time I'm going to watch this process, collect the numbers and run them through an Excel spreadsheet to find the true average and SD, which I suspect will be +/-2 or less. Now, this I can work with! When the pan in the oven is full of boolits, the mass of material will stabilize the temperature further.

YMMV, but at least for this $10 yard sale special, it is ready for prime time and will do a proper job of heat treating boolits if set up correctly and left undisturbed to do its work. I believe most of these cheapie ovens will. I think the wild temperature swings that have been reported are more a function of poor test setups than of poor equipment. (BTW, it's a Black & Decker).

Regards,

Stew

Echo
01-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Another area to check is temp in different areas of the oven. We have a B&D oven - received it as a gift from the daughter, and so can't get rid of it just yet. ***, IMHO. And we donated our good GE toaster oven when we received the ***.

Are you considering putting insulation on the outside? Might make it more stable, and more even inside.

AZ-Stew
01-07-2009, 01:51 AM
I'm not going for the Nobel prize in metallurgy, just trying to harden up some rifle boolits. +/- 2 to 4 degrees F is surely stable enough to do heat treating of this sort. There have been many others before me who have worked with less stable ovens and gotten perfectly adequate results.

The point of the article is that these cheapie ovens can work, given the right conditions. And that we don't need labooratory-grade equipment to jack the BHN up from 11-13 ACWW to the mid 20s for moderate velocity rifle rounds. I've proved to myself that, at least in my case, the oven isn't the problem. The initial testing method was.

Regards,

Stew

AZ-Stew
01-08-2009, 11:22 AM
I baked my first batch of boolits last evening, quenching them in a sink half full of water cooled by two 2-liter Coke bottles full of frozen water. The sink water temp was 54 degrees F. I'll post again this evening after testing the hardness after 24 hours ageing, and I'll post on hardness again Friday after 48 hours.

Regards,

Stew

AZ-Stew
01-08-2009, 09:07 PM
22 hour update. (Couldn't wait for 24.)

Boolits (RCBS .30-150FN) ACWW (4 samples) BHN:

9.5 (Possible measurement error)
10.25 Avg.

Boolits (same) heat treated as described above (4 samples) BHN:

26.0 Avg.

I'm very pleased with the results so far. This proves that my $10 B&D toaster oven IS up to the task of heat treating boolits. I had doubts after reading some of the posts here, but no longer. Now to perfect my casting and load preparation techniques and to find the load that's most accurate in my Rem. M-788 .30-30. I don't know whether or not I can pull it off, but one day I want to try these (RCBS .30-150FN and Lyman 311466) in my club's 500 yard F-Class competition. I have no illusions of actually winning a match, but I'd like to be able to shoot a decent score. Doing so would be a lesson for the other shooters. Time will tell...

As promised, I will post again tomorrow after the boolits have had a chance to age for another 24 hours.

Regards,

Stew

jhrosier
01-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Stew,
A pal-o-mine used a toaster oven to temper (not harden) knife blades at 500 degrees. As I recall, it took most of a full day to draw the temper to the correct value.
He would put a heavy slab of boiler plate in the oven and pre-heat it before starting.
He said that the extra chunk of steel in the oven stabilized the temperature once it was heated.
He went by the data from the steel manufacturer and his knife blades would come out within a couple of points on the Rockwell scale of what was predicted.
He made some of the best quality blades that you cold buy. They were very well liked by professional meat cutters in the area.

Jack

guninhand
01-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Is there any reason why an oven thermometer (mercury) wouldn't work as well as the thermocouple to test a toaster oven, if it's calibrated with ice water and steam?

AZ-Stew
01-09-2009, 12:12 AM
I think most oven thermometers that have a stem and a dial work on the principle of a bimetal coil that swings a needle. I've never seen one that used mercury, and wouldn't want one in with my food.

That said, any thermometer that will read accurately at the temperatures required, such as a casting thermometer, should work quite well. Again, the test setup is more important than the cost or construction of the oven. If you want to know the temperature that your boolits will be heated to by the oven, measure the temperature of the boolit, not the temperature of the air in the oven.

Regards,

Stew

AZ-Stew
01-09-2009, 12:18 AM
jhrosier,

Thanks for the info. That confirms part of my suspicions, and it gives me some more ideas.

From what I've found so far, though, I don't really see any need to improve on what I have. Things seem to be going well and I'm satisfied with the results.

About the only thing I might have to do to increase hardness over what I'm already getting is add some hard shot to my alloy to add some arsenic. I'm going to work with what I have for now. I still have load development and boolit sizer variations to fool with before I pursue the hardness matter further.

Regards,

Stew

MT Gianni
01-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Is there any reason why an oven thermometer (mercury) wouldn't work as well as the thermocouple to test a toaster oven, if it's calibrated with ice water and steam?

The so called "mercury"oven thermometers nowadays use a hydraulic oil. I would trust that type much more than a bi-metal.

Willbird
01-09-2009, 02:30 PM
It seems to me that a heavy wall (1/2" or more) aluminum box, or even steel would help make sure that all the bullets saw the SAME temperature. Seems to me that is more important than the exact temperature they see before quench.

Bill

leftiye
01-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Maybe a flat box of steel with a shelf inside (like rosier's metal plate only on all sides) would uniform temps. I kinda lean in the direction of - when they're as hot as they can be held at for an hour, and not have them melt, that that can't be improved upon. Use the lead as your thermometer.

AZ-Stew
01-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Willbird,

For sure, even, constant temperature is required to ensure that the boolits all react in nearly the same manner to the heat treatment, but temperature is also important. Below a certain temperature (there's a name for it, but I forget what it's called and I don't have my NRA Cast Bullet Supplement handy) the boolits will not harden enough to make it worth the time to heat treat them. Above a certain temperature, the boolits will melt. For maximum hardness, the alloy must be correct and the temperature must be just below the melting temperature of the alloy.

Yes, a thicker box (more heat mass, see jhrosier's post, above) or better insulation will keep the temperature more constant, but beyond a certain point, probably less than +/- 10 degrees, the gain in thermal uniformity is outweighed by the amount of effort and cost required to achieve it. Simply starting with a tray full of boolits will add almost as much thermal mass as putting a couple of pieces of iron in the bottom of the oven. Since I'm already getting +/- 2 to 4 degrees variation within the boolit itself, measuring with only one boolit in the oven, it's not worth the effort to try to stabilize the oven further. I believe the BHN numbers I'm getting are close enough to each other that the differences will be overshadowed by other variables in the handloading and shooting processes. In addition, I'm not using a laboratory-grade process for hardness testing (Lee tool) and I'm sure there are some uniformity issues in my measurements. The measurements I've gotten prove that the oven is capable of doing what's required to raise the BHN of ACWW boolits from about 10.5 to about 26, possibly higher after another 24 hours ageing. I'll know that this evening.

The point here is that, contrary to previous reports, a cheap toaster oven can be used without modifications to heat treat cast boolits with adequate uniformity in result. Almost anyone can afford a $10 yard sale toaster oven which will allow them to heat treat boolits and get their hobby out of Mama's kitchen.

Regards,

Stew

AZ-Stew
01-09-2009, 10:41 PM
This will probably be my last post on this thread, unless there are questions. I just completed the hardness testing after 48 hours ageing and, as promised, here are the results:

Same RCBS .30-150FN, 4 samples, BHN:

So there you go, folks. Go ahead and buy that yard sale toaster oven and use it with confidence. Just be sure it will get up to the required temperature and rest assured the temperatures in it will be stable enough for boolit heat treating.

Regards,

Stew

Echo
01-10-2009, 02:14 AM
Glad (and surprised) that you are having such good luck with the B&D oven. I may have figured out a use for ours, other than burning toast/bagels/muffins/whatever we put in the ***.

Ole
03-02-2009, 12:17 AM
I tried this today on some .44 bullets that I made in a 6 cavity mould from a 4lb lee pot. Because of lousy casting tempo, I figured the water quenching would be all over the place, so did an oven hardening to give the lead a legit chance to harden.

It would be interesting to see what these bullets tested at with a BCN scale. I tested a heat treated bullet 10 minutes after dunking it in the water and it was noticeably harder than ACWW. I was able to get an ingot of ACWW with a steel BB sandwiched in between the bullet and the top of my press.

The ACWW ingot had an indent from the BB at least twice as big as the top of my heat treated bullet.

I guess i'll have to shoot them and see. :twisted:

Chunky Monkey
03-02-2009, 07:56 AM
I was casting some 22-55-SP' and 452460's yesterday and decide to test some with my new Cabine Tree tester yesterday. I don't heat treat the 45's but did a few figuring they would be easier to test.

The allow was wheel weight and little tin (one pound of 50/50 for about 12-15 WW) added.

Air cooled a few ~ they came out at about 11-12 BHN.

Water quenched a few ~ they came out at abount 14 BHN.

Heat treated some in the toaster over @ 400 degrees for 1 hour and then water quenched ~ the came out at abount 22 BHN.

By the way all I got is good stuff to say about the cabine tree tester and man is it well made! :-D

thebigmac
11-02-2009, 09:33 PM
GOLLLLLY, WHAT A BARREL FULL OF GREAT INFORMATION. THANKS STEW, AND YOU OTHER GUYS. THIS IS THE KIND OF STUFF THAT KEEPS THIS WEB GOING. Mac