PDA

View Full Version : Add-ons for my Star Luber-sizer

Ray Z
01-06-2009, 11:54 PM
I've read a lot about the air assist for the star sizer. I sprung the bucks today and called for one. Also purchased the better handle. The one I've got gives me blisters.
Any advise on set up and running would be appreciated. I usually use NRA 50/50 lube.

Ray

GabbyM
01-07-2009, 12:31 AM
blisters; A bit of baby powder on your hand when working the handle will help with that.
A little on the other hand helps avoid acid finger prints on your boolits.

mtgrs737
01-07-2009, 03:01 AM
I set my air pressure regulator at 60lbs. You can use a portable air tank as the air cylinder uses very little volume of air. I also like to melt my lube and pour it into the reseivour using the cut off top of a plastic two liter pop bottle, just besure that the lube has set up before putting the plunger in or you will blow lube out the vent hole.

cajun shooter
01-07-2009, 08:57 AM
+1 on what 737 stated. You can cover the vent hole with a clamp and fill with more lube. The air tank will stay full if you have no leaks. Also when it comes time to add lube. The cylinder will have a open threaded hole at the bottom. Use a air tool with the cone type rubber tip and insert it into this hole and hit the air. It will retract the plunger and make your job much easier. These two add ons are the best improvement you can do to your Star.

01-07-2009, 09:51 AM
I second mtgrs737 and cujun shooter . except i stoped pouring in the lube. i semed to need filling at the wrong times. i buy the 2' x 6' sticks that are about 1/3 the cost per vol. i melt it and use 1' sec. 40 pvc pipe cut 6' with a end cap hand stuck on one end. i use a 2x12 bord with holes in it to stick the pipe. fill them, let air cool, put them in zip lock bab, put in frezer over night, take out take off the cap and the stick of lube slides right out. this way you can make lube ahead and have it when you need. you will love the air cylinder and handel.

cajun shooter
01-08-2009, 10:21 AM
686, I use the sched 40 1" and make my own lube. I also use a piece of 2x12. Making your own lube just adds another fun thing to this sport of ours. I, myself don't pour lube but put the stick in, if not a full piece then cut what is needed. I use PAM in the pvc to release the lube.

ddeaton
01-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Dont waste money on the bullet feeder, and the shovel handle hits the air cylinder unless you bend and modify it. I am running the air cylinder and hot plate with the stock file handle, that is it. I bought every whistle and bell when I ordered mine and stripped those items off. Everyone is different, but that is my 2 cents worth.

Springfield
01-08-2009, 11:34 AM
I have the stock handle on all 3 of mine, never had a problem with them, but then I only size 3-5 thousand at a time. I do have the air cylinder, well worth the money if for no other reason than the increased volume and ease of changing lube. And 2 of my presses have the bullet feeder, but I put the bullets in trays so it helps me free up one hand and speed up production. Also keeps my finger from being under the punch, a safety concern if you tend to go fast.

Ray Z
01-10-2009, 09:04 AM
You guys have left me several things to try. Now all I need is the stuff from magma to show up.
I'm like a little boy at Christmas waiting on Santa.

miestro_jerry
01-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Get the Master Caster, it will increase your production many times over.

Jerry

Springfield
01-10-2009, 02:29 PM
The Master Caster can do about 5-600 bullets an hour. Running 2 6-cavity LEE moulds I can do 12-1400 an hour until I get tired, which is usually about 3 hours. The Master Caster would just slow me down. Plus you can't get steel Big Lube(tm) moulds to run in them anyway. I do love my 40 lb Magma pot, though.

Ray Z
01-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Get the Master Caster, it will increase your production many times over.

Jerry
Man, it's hard to justify a grand for that machine. I really don't cast on a professional level. I do however cast with two Lyman 4 cavity molds at one time. I am thinking about getting the bottom pour pot when my Lyman finely goes belly up.

Ray

Springfield
01-12-2009, 01:37 AM
Ray Z: get the Magma pot NOW! I love mine, now when I do some pure lead casting like for C&B balls I go back to the RCBS and I swear I'm gonna sell it, I have gotten so spoiled with the Magma. I like the fact that it holds 40lbs and I don't have to run 2 pots to keep up with the LEE moulds, because it is 1500 watts instead of 700 like the RCBS and LEE, and I can just keep pushing in ingots and I KNOW the spout will not freeze up. Plus it has replaceable spouts on the bottom so you can have either one or TWO pouring spouts( pouring 2 at a time is just too cool!). And it just comes off with 2 allen screws, which also allows you to clean it out WITHOUT draining the pot. Plus the lever is spring loaded which keep th spout(s) from dripping. Plus it has a very accurate thermostat. And comes in either 110 or 220. And, if you ever decide to get the Master caster you already have the pot.

Ray Z
01-13-2009, 12:48 AM
One of the problems I've been having with my Lyman 20 pounder is that I can't add metal while I'm casting. The temperature drops off so much that I start having rejects. I use up almost all of the metal in the pot, fill it up with ingots, and then have to take a break until the metal heats up again. If I get the magma pot can I use about half of the metal out of it, fill it up with ingots, and still cast without having to stop and wait on it to heat up again?

Lloyd Smale
01-13-2009, 08:43 AM
try adding a lb everytime one will fit right from the start instead of adding 4 or 5 when the pot has gotten that low. One lb shouldnt freeze up your spout. Best way is to buy another cheap pot and run them both and feed your rcbs from the other pot and then add your cold lead to that pot. keeps the temp in your main pot more steady and you will get more consistant bullets.

01-13-2009, 10:26 AM
ray z that is the problem i was having with my rcbs 22 lb pot. i was useing 6 lb ingots. if you were not careful you would over flow. i bought thr magma 90 lb pot ( before they went up ) . now i do not let it get any closer to the top than 1 " . i try to add 1-2 ingots at a time hove added 5 and it did not freez up. my rcbs would have a 100 deg. swing when adding the 6 lb. the magma has about 10 deg. the heating element is under the bottom so you can run it very low. the rcbs has a heating coil around the pot so if you let it go 1/2 way down you are heating empty area. if 220 hookup will work for you get the 90 lb pot.

Ray Z
01-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Wow !! it sounds like you guys do this for a living. I have to keep up with my wife and I and the boys when they come over and raid the ammo cabinet. That's about 10000 rounds a year. I like the idea of the 90 pound pot and I can run a 220 circuit to the basement but it sounds like that would be a permanent placement for the pot.