PDA

View Full Version : Anyone getting RIFLE/HANDLOADER electronically?

FN in MT
01-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Meaning via E-Mail attachment.

I've gotten Rifle and Handloader since the 70's and the issues are ALL OVER THE PLACE. I love the articles , copy many and save them for future refference but the sheer amount of magazines I'm saving is getting out of hand.

Any problems or complaints with getting the issues over the net??

Thanks,

FN in MT

BBA
01-08-2009, 07:32 PM
I've been getting all 3 magazines electronicly for a couple years but from Wolfe Publishing website. Just download and read. They notify me by email to re-up, but not with an attachment for the magazine.

Dale53
01-09-2009, 02:17 AM
I have been getting all three of Wolfe Publishing's magazines for a couple of years, also. Great, great idea. I don't have magazines cluttering up the house and it produces near pure profit for Wolfe's and costs just a fraction of "hard copies" for the consumer (everybody gets well:mrgreen:). I also have everything in them at my finger tips (let my fingers do the walking[smilie=1:).

The ONLY complaint I have is that it requires storage space on my hard drive. However, storage is so cheap these days that is no longer much of a complaint. You could also have all of them download on an external hard drive if it bothers you (doesn't bother me).

Dale53

StrawHat
01-09-2009, 05:50 AM
I have been getting them electronically for a few years also.

I save them to disc and read them at my convenience.

The only problem I have is remembering to download them. They leave them up for about a month and a half so I have only missed three. (Handloader 239, 240 and 241, if anyone has those and can send them I would appreciate it.)

The only downside I see is not being able to read them anywhere. Now unless I print them, I can only read them when I have my laptop up and running.

jswaff
01-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Just started with the current issue. It was getting to the point where I couldn't find a hard copy locally. For less than the price of the hardcopy subscription, I have access to 3 mags. Pretty good deal.

FN in MT
01-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the input. My collection from the first issues to present is taking up far too much space. I think I'll go with the internet subscription...or electronic delivery...or whatever the proper term would be.

FN in MT

mold maker
01-09-2009, 11:10 AM
I've let all my subscriptions run out, because of the fine print over pictures and colored pages. If I could enlarge the copy with my PC I'll bet I could enjoy them again.
Getting old sure sucks.

charlie3tuna
01-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I've let all my subscriptions run out, because of the fine print over pictures and colored pages. If I could enlarge the copy with my PC I'll bet I could enjoy them again.

Sir, if you are using Firefox, you can easily enlarge or reduce everything on the page! It's easy.

Just hold down the "Ctrl" key and tap the "+" key. With each tap it will get bigger and bigger.

To reverse the process, hold down the "Ctrl" key and tap the "-" key.

I'm not a computer expert. This feature may be standard with the latest version of Firefox.

Hope this helps. charlie

StrawHat
01-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Getting old sure sucks.

The elctronic magazine is in color but I have not seen any overlapping of print.

There is also a button where you can enlarge the copy.

Follow the link and you should be able to view a copy of the magazine.

http://www.riflemagazine.com/

If it doesn't work pm me and I send you a copy.

Dale53
01-10-2009, 08:33 AM
I am having trouble reading some of my new magazines (hard copies) such as "Car & Driver". They are using "too small" print and it isn't printed as heavy as in the past (must save on ink and paper, no doubt:veryconfu).

At any rate, the new Adobe Reader (vs 9 and still climbing:mrgreen:) allows you various viewing choices for magazine PDF's. It opens with a 2.0 times blow-up that I just adjust to size for whatever pleases me at the time. Also, you can pick page styles that please you. I have a large monitor (widescreen 24" as I am a photographer) so I pick the style that shows each page on the left as a thumbnail in addition to the main page, so that you can pick your page by thumbnail. Pretty dern neat and a real help to viewing electronically. I see my self buying more magazines electronically as they are offered.

I like the lower cost and also like the viewing options. At first, I was a bit put off by viewing electronically, but after I learned the Adobe Reader options, it became MUCH more inviting (I hate change and sometimes am slow to accept new things[smilie=1:).

Dale53

cajun shooter
01-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Dale, When you receive the magazine, could you copy it to a cd to store so that you would not take up room on the hard drive? I'm very limited on knowdledge when it comes to these things. My grand children make me feel stupid when they show me things.

Dale53
01-10-2009, 05:51 PM
cajun shooter;
These magazines are PDF files and are LARGE (they will run from 8.0 MB to as high as 13.0 MB. A DVD will only handle 4.7 MB. If you only copied part of the file on two DVD's you would have serious problems trying to coordinate pages. You could copy each article when you first download the magazine and put complete articles up to the capacity of the DVD but that is WORK INTENSIVE.

A better solution is to get an external hard drive. It can be EASILY installed (most anyone can do it- I would say a grades chool kid could do it but it would be true and that would embarrass both of us, so I won't say that:mrgreen:). The external hard drives are fairly inexpensive and easy to work. The Western Digital "My Book" seems to be an especially easy one to use. You might also check out the new portable (pocket) external hard drives. They are truly pocket size and are "toughened up" for portable use. The desktop models are probably cheaper per GB of storage.

I might suggest "Micro Center" as a good, online outfit with good prices (we have one in nearby Cincinnati and they are my electronic store of choice).

In use, you just plug in the external drive to an open USB port on your computer. Then it shows up on your "computer" as an extra drive (my "MY BOOK" shows up as "WD, My Book" so there is no confusion about which drive is which.

I may move my magazines to a portable hard drive or I just may leave them on my main drive (it is pretty large).

Dale53:mrgreen:

Firebird
01-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Uhh, Dale. A DVD can handle 4.7 GB, or 4700 MB. That's stores a lot of magazines. Even CD's can store almost 600 MB as data, so ALL three of these magazines for a year would fit on a single CD, and 3-4 years worth would fit on a 2 GB flash stick. It's nice to have multiple copies on different kinds of media in case something goes wrong with one of them.

jhrosier
01-10-2009, 07:38 PM
For what it's worth, I've seen 4Gb flash drives for about $20.
I've got an 8Gb unit that I paid about $30 for a few months ago.
Plug it in and go.
You should be able to store quite a few issues on one.

Jack

Dale53
01-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Oh, "Lord, save the Queen". Talk about a "brain f*rt". No excuse, just simply wrong.

I apologize as I certainly know better.

However, one good thing came of this - you have mentioned several better/less expensive ways to get the job done.

Thanks for waking me up[smilie=1:.

Dale53

cajun shooter
01-11-2009, 08:40 AM
I would like to receive the magazine as y'all have; over the the PC. Don't get into mg or kb. Is the answer that I will be able to transfer to CD? After reading about all the hard drive stuff I was going to do the mail box high tech. My first PC got to where it would lose a race with molasses. The girl at Dell started talking and I told her to just send me one that works.

jhrosier
01-11-2009, 09:15 AM
I would like to receive the magazine as y'all have; over the the PC. Don't get into mg or kb.
Gotcha

Is the answer that I will be able to transfer to CD?
Yes.

After reading about all the hard drive stuff I was going to do the mail box high tech. My first PC got to where it would lose a race with molasses.
'Puters are a lot like cars that way.

The girl at Dell started talking and I told her to just send me one that works.
The computer departments at big companies do the same thing, not because they are dumb, but because it is the smart thing to do.
The hours that you could spend revitalizing an obsolescent machine should be used for either making money or having fun.

Putting stuff that is valuable or important to you on an external device, like a USB memory stick, CD, DVD, or external hard drive is a very good idea. When, not if your computer dies or needs to be replaced, that stuff is easy to get at with your new machine.

Since storage media is also subject to failure, having more than one copy of your stuff is also a very good idea.

Jack

Dale53
01-11-2009, 01:14 PM
cajun shooter:
(I hope that you don't really shoot cajuns - they sound like interesting people:mrgreen:).

At any rate, Jack is absolutely on point. Just to thoroughly answer your question, I just copied seven full magazines (Handloader) to a CD. It took up just a fraction of the space on a single CD. That just happens to be all the Handloaders that I have on this particular hard drive.

Not only does it copy them perfectly, but it also allows you to use the PDF tools (various viewing options, etc) that the free Adobe Reader utilizes.

Now, since CD's can be bought on sale in the Cincinnati area for in the neighborhood of 10 cents each, that is pretty cheap storage.

My suggestion, is to download them on your hard drive, then copy them to CD's. You should be backing up your computer on a regularly scheduled basis, anyway. After you get several issues on the hard drive, you may want to, at that time, copy them to a couple of CD's.

Just a suggestion or two...

At any rate, it is perfectly practical in every way to copy these onto a CD. By the way, these seven issues took about 68 MB's (a CD will hold 700 MB's). You can get a LOT of magazines on one CD.

Dale53

SCIBUL
01-11-2009, 02:11 PM
No problem to get them over the net. I like the "touch and go" menu pages.

dromia
01-11-2009, 05:55 PM
My Maxtor external hard drive is 1 terabyte, whatever that is.

When I loaded all the 20 Handloader back issue dvds and the art of bullet casting dvd onto it it was just a line on the disc space pie chart.

cajun shooter
01-12-2009, 08:37 AM
No Dale, Would not do that as my bloodline runs that way. My Grand mother on my dad's side was born in France. That makes me just second generation US. The cd thing is the way I will go. Thanks for all the info everyone. Lassiez Bon Temp Rouler!!!