PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Quality Control

JFriis
01-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I recently ordered two molds from Midway USA.
Both are Lyman molds, one in 225 and the other a 309.
After opening everything up and inspecting it all the 225 mold appears to have been used.
Not only is the steel inside the mold heat colored, but there are flashings of lead stuck to the sprue plate and the sprue plate itself shows signs of being beaten open.
The 30 cal mold has no such signs.
So my question is, does Lyman cast out of each mold before shipping to a distributor?

I am leaning towards no based on the pristine condition of the 30 cal mold.
My gut tells me this is a mold someone used and slightly abused before returning to either Lyman or Midway.

docone31
01-06-2009, 12:40 PM
That could be true.
I have a feeling, many people order molds, some even use them, even less use them consistantly.
I would not be suprised, if, a mold that might not be so well done, might be returned, reshipped elsewhere, and so forth, untill someone gets it and puts it on the shelf.
There is a component of what we do that recquires someone do more than just expect perfection first cast. I know of some reloaders who cast up a few, get lousey results, and never cast again.
There are those that do, and there are those who talk about doing.
That might be a great mold. Perhaps someone did not heat the mold enough to cast well first time, gave up, and sent it back.
Who knows?
Midway does take them back without hassle.
I do that in my shop. If I make something for someone, and they turn it down, usually for economic reasons rather than quality, someone will absolutely love it. If it needs reworking for whatever, I just do it.

44mag1
01-06-2009, 01:06 PM
doesent lyman test these before they leave the shop?

badgeredd
01-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I seriously doubt that Lyman or anyone else that manufactures on a large scale tests every mold. Possibly they randomly pick one to see how it casts, but custom makers seem to all check the mold before shipment. From a time standpoint, few if any large producers could afford it and still keep the product competitively priced. With the current QC equipment, I'd bet they check them on a CNC QC machine which likely checks 3 to 5 or so dimensions quickly.

Likely the mold was a return, but I'd be a bit put out if there wasn't some compensation for taking one from a supplier. Likely an oversight but still...............one pays for "NEW" and should get it.

Edd

GabbyM
01-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I can imagine them testig them if they had bad ones in a lot. Normaly they don't Sounds like it was a return. I wouldn't worry much about it. Cast up some bullets and see if you've a good one. You don't always recieve a good one now days from Lyman , RCBS or Saeco. If it makes on size boolits I'd for sure hang on to it. If not then return it. You'll get a repair recut or replacement in a couple months. In my experience. The besty lyman mold I have is a #311299 I returned for undersize. They recut it with a good cherry and you can't tell one cavities bullet from the other. Drops .310+ x .300+ from 50/50 alloy.

I've a #429215 here to go back for undersize. I just bought another one from a different vendor and it was good. When I get the first mold back I'll just sell it off.

Shiloh
01-06-2009, 02:48 PM
I seriously doubt that Lyman or anyone else that manufactures on a large scale tests every mold. Possibly they randomly pick one to see how it casts, but custom makers seem to all check the mold before shipment. From a time standpoint, few if any large producers could afford it and still keep the product competitively priced. With the current QC equipment, I'd bet they check them on a CNC QC machine which likely checks 3 to 5 or so dimensions quickly.

Likely the mold was a return, but I'd be a bit put out if there wasn't some compensation for taking one from a supplier. Likely an oversight but still...............one pays for "NEW" and should get it.

Edd

Sound plausible to me.

This is also not the first time I've heard about used "NEW" Lyman molds either.

Shiloh

zampilot
01-06-2009, 05:58 PM
I recently returned a set of Lyman dies: upon opening there were what looked like pliers marks along the threads of the sizer, what looked like cig tobacco inside the die and the seater had magic marker on it, where the previous unsatisfied owner who returned it, wanted the die set in the press!

John Boy
01-06-2009, 09:25 PM
There is no doubt - there is one big name reloading supplier that puts returned merchandise back in inventory and sells it as N - E - W. Two purchases were that way and their answer ... 'You can return it!'

bobk
01-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Yeah, sometimes new really isn't. I ordered an Uberti 1851 from someplace midway through the country, and it was a piece of crap. Never should have made it through Uberti's QC, but it suffered a little "wear" after that. They cheerfully refunded my money, but now I am much more inclined to buy things I can examine before the sale. Supporting local business benefits everyone.

Bob K

acemedic13
01-07-2009, 08:53 AM
I have had a few bad experiences with lyman. I ordered a case trimmer that fell apart on me. The handle wound out of it's housing. Midway sent me another one, and the "new" one had obviously been used. Lots of dings and shaving's on it. When I called to get some info to fix a small part on this "new" trimmer, the place sounded like a mom and pop store. One person Telling me "let me get jim"...... jim sounded like he was gonna die any second and was no real help.
I was using their (lyman's) spray lube yesterday because I ran out of my other brand. I followed all direction's, and the advice of some people here. It was one stuck case after another. Borrowed some other (gunslick) lube from a buddy...Problem solved. Bottom line, I am done with lyman.

GabbyM
01-07-2009, 11:34 AM
"done with Lyman"

Yes I've said that to myself too. Then you get to wanting a rifle bullet mold and their you are.
One or two out of five will get returned but RCBS and Saeco are no better. I've got four or five good Lyman molds in a row now. Luck is bound to run out.

home in oz
01-07-2009, 03:43 PM
MIDWAY is great, they'll take it back.

I called last time and error was made, and they mailed the correct item the same day.

Strangely enough, also did receive a crap 1858 Remington pistol from another supplier and returned it a few years ago.

Lead melter
01-07-2009, 04:08 PM
I have ordered 3 new Lyman molds in the past and all were defective. One was even bored at and angle other than 90 degrees. One RCBS mold came and cast way undersize. A call to customer service got a shipping box with prepaid label, and a new mold on the way to me.

Lyman is a 4-letter word to me.

acemedic13
01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
MIDWAY is great, they'll take it back.

I called last time and error was made, and they mailed the correct item the same day.

Strangely enough, also did receive a crap 1858 Remington pistol from another supplier and returned it a few years ago.

Midway sucks!.....I am done with these turds also. They are the wal-mart of reloading.
I got hammered by a 3.00 "special handling" fee because my order was under 25.00 dollars. Their way of saying "spend more or, we will charge you more".
larry potterfield can kiss my a#*. It is a sorry Co. that makes the shooting sports a more difficult and more expensive thing. They are going to cut their own throats with this practice.

R.C. Hatter
01-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Amen to Acemedic 13...I've had enough bad experiences with Lyman to last a lifetime, they have gone downhill in products and customer service since the late 60's. I've got two moulds that had mismatched blocks or were so out of round they were unfit for use. I sent them back for repair or replacement, and I got them back with a note saying they were too old. Lyman would do nothing.
I'm done with them and their products ! I've cast bullets for my firearms since 1961 and much prefer RCBS and Redding-Saeco, as they have better quality control and will accept returns. Example : I wore out a Rockchucker press & returned it to have a new ram installed. RCBS sent me a new press free of charge. They stand behind their products. R.C. Hatter