PDA

View Full Version : "Roll" lubing...

kamikaze1a
01-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Not sure if anyone else has tried this method to lube boo's... I haven't perfected the technique but the concept works.

I like the results I get with LLA and was trying to avoid the lube buildup in my seater die loading my conventional, single lube groove boo's. I find wiping the lube off the nose of each boo one by one is too time consuming as is dipping them in lube. I think I figured out a way to lube only the shank of the boo by rolling my boo's on a sheet of metal coated with LLA. The results were no lube on the base or nose and I shot about 100 yesterday with no signs of leading at all.

My first attempt was with a 12X12 piece of tin where I bent a 90 degree lip on one edge. I then brushed a good coat of LLA on the sheet leaving the edges and the crook of the bend bare. With the tin positioned with the bend down, I then dumped a handful of boo's in the bend and lined them on to end. This where things did not go as planned. I was hoping that I could tip the bend side up and the boo's would roll over the LLA and into my wax paper lined box. They did not... Apparently, with the nose "floating", the LLA created enough resistance to cause the boo's to swivel around and they did not roll straight off the tin. I modified the tin by bending the adjacent edges up at a lesser angle, enough to prevent the boo's from rolling off the sides. Then instead of rolling them off, I kind of shook the boo's around a bit before letting them roll into the wax papered box.

Provided you start them off laying on their side and did not allow them to stand on end while shaking the tin, I only had lube on the sides of the boo's. Practically nothing on the nose and base. To "recharge" the lube, I squirted some LLA onto the tin and spread it out evenly with a brush. I applied one coat, dried overnight, sized with Lee push through sizer and lubed again. The single lube groove was not full and actually had hardly any lube at all but I think most of us apply way too much anyway. I shot my 40 at "Major" velocity and had no laeding at all... Acid test this weekend...our monthly IPSC match.

shotman
01-05-2009, 10:39 PM
I worked with that to do HPs . Here Is what I ended up with. Tried several things. I had and older glass warming tray-- kind you put food on to keep warm when you work construction and dont know when hes coming home. Anyway if you buy new there not too much [cheaper than a mold] That way you can heat the lube and it is flat. I found that you can use the wife's {if she isnt home} . Take the cling wrap and cover glass[pull tight ] . You will need to play with temp [mine was med] put just a little lube on on end about 4 in . It will thin and flow out even . Put a piece of wax paper on a thin piece of tin or the wifes cookie sheet and roll boolits thru the lube and on wax paper. Try not to roll to far . Move to the other side and do same. put on wifes counter to dry overnight. It might be best to do this some place else but its cold outside rick

kamikaze1a
01-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Glad to see someone else that had success with this method too. A little more effort than tumble lubing in a bowl but I like not having any lube on the base and nose. No more gummed up seater either. And not really that hard to roll lube either. Way less effort than wiping the lube off one by one. Perhaps I should take pictures and post them...

copdills
01-07-2009, 07:36 PM
please take some pics I would like to see what you have made to make this easier, I been trying a few things myself but still slow as wipeing each one

Thanks copdills

WKAYE
01-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Bullshop mentioned here some time ago. I think he was away at a logging camp and didn't have access to his regular kit. He said it worked very well.

kamikaze1a
01-08-2009, 12:41 AM
OK, since you're interested I will take some pics next time I cast. Did a bunch the last time so I may be a couple of weeks but will post them then. Will be trying these out at a match on Sunday so that should be a good test. They shot clean during practice but you know how things go when the pressure is on... Will get the pics and post here.

copdills
01-08-2009, 03:25 AM
Thanks Kamikazela

mold maker
01-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Instead of letting the castings roll, willy nilly, how about using a wide puddy knife to push/roll the bullets through/across the lube and off on to the drying media?

kamikaze1a
01-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I tried to use various objects to push the boo's across the lube but found that it wiped some of the lube off the boo's by contact transfer and scraped some of the lube off the tin too. So far, the best I could figure out has been letting it roll around and moving them by swirling the tin about... I had considered using two pieces of tin, both coated with LLA and then sandwiching the boo's between and rolling them off the edge but tipping and swirling takes no effort.

kamikaze1a
01-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Roll lubed boo's passed the test!

Shot the whole match...ZERO leading.

copdills
01-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Thats great to hear , looking foward to some pics