PDA

View Full Version : Primer bushings

cabezaverde
01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
I just came across some primer pocket bushings in one of my "drawers of reloading stuff".

Has anyone used these? How were the results?

HeavyMetal
01-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Are these the bushings that let you use small pistol or rifle primers in the large pistol or rifle primer pockets?

Never made much sense to me!

cabezaverde
01-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Are these the bushings that let you use small pistol or rifle primers in the large pistol or rifle primer pockets?

Yes, those are the ones. My understanding is they allow the use of a very mild primer in loads that prefer those.

Houndog
01-06-2009, 07:23 PM
I used some of the primer pocket bushings when 220 Russian cases were unavailable to make PPC brass years ago and they seemed to work ok. The biggest problem was keeping them in the primer pockets! Most Benchrest shooters load VERY hot and expanding primer pockets were a big problem with the .080 flash holes and the bushing setup. Would it make a difference in a normal rifle? I don't think it would make enough difference to fool with, but in a benchrest match .005 difference in group size MAY drop you 10 places! Every advantage helps and is VERY important, no matter how small!