PDA

View Full Version : Krag Sight?

LIMPINGJ
01-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Was there ever a receiver sight made for the Krag that used existing holes for mounting. I thought I remembered someone on this forum talking about one. I do not want to change the rifle as it is all orginal, but that rear sight is getting hard to see.
Jim

straightshooter1
01-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Pacific (and perhaps others) made a "no gunsmithing" aperture sight for the Krag using the Magazine cutoff. I just sold a cutdown Krag which had the Pacific sight on it. That being said, one of the later issue sights, can't recall if it was the 1901 or 1902, has an aperture that pivots below the open V of the standard sight. You simply push it up into place and have an aperture. It has a very small hole. I have one on my '98 Krag.

I see them both for sale on Ebay from time to time.

Hope that answers your question.

Bob

45 2.1
01-05-2006, 01:05 PM
That Krag sight with the flip up apeture has an incredibly tiny hole, so don't think it will solve your seeing problems. It would take bright sunlight and eagle "young" eyes just to use it at all.

Sailman
01-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Same situation for my 75 years old eyes. Solved the problem by drilling out the small hole with a larger drill.

Sailman

straightshooter1
01-05-2006, 01:52 PM
The hole in my aperture is also drilled out to the max, still too small for me to comfortably use it. On really good days, when my eyes are working right, I can use it, otherwise I use the V.

Bob

fourarmed
01-05-2006, 06:13 PM
I guess somebody must have drilled mine before I bought it, as I find it pretty usable - and I turned the big 5 dozen last year. It is much better than the one on my '03.

KCSO
01-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Redfield was the other maker of the no gunsmith peep for the Krag. They are still to be found, but most I have seen in the last 15 years are missing the screw that holds them to the magazine plate. You removed the magazine cut off and a pin went in that hole and then the screw held the base of the sight tight to the side plate. They are really good sights, but mostly found incomplete and the long screw for the side plate will have to be made.

bravokilo
01-05-2006, 11:15 PM
They look like this...

Frank46
01-06-2006, 03:56 AM
Limpingj, look either in gun list or shotgun news for a guy named gary fellers. Try gun list first. He had or has the sight that you are looking for. Redfield no drill I think is the name. But he ain't cheap. Frank

Buckshot
01-06-2006, 04:55 AM
.............This is my Krag with a Redfield 'No drill".

http://www.fototime.com/D0D7166B1E9D8B1/standard.jpg

................Buckshot

RayinNH
01-07-2006, 11:33 AM
I have the same sight bravokilo has. I think it's a 102K but am not positive of that. It's a good sight but it requires you to remove the adjustable part to get the bolt out...Ray

straightshooter1
01-07-2006, 07:30 PM
That is an excellent point about getting the bolt out with these sights installed.

I think Buckshot's picture shows his sight is click adjustable. But the Pacific I had was just one of the loosen the screw and slide type and even if you try to mark where it was when you took it off, you never get it back exactly right.

Of course that means loosen the screw and slide it this way-whoops, too much, now back the other way. In other words it is a big pain. Makes one tend to clean from the muzzle end.

Still these sights are neat and mine would hold the ten ring at 100 yards on the military reduced target.

Bob

Char-Gar
01-08-2006, 12:05 AM
There are a couple of ways to get a receiver sight slide/arm back to the same place after it has been removed. this of course if there is no underarm contact screw or graduations on the slide.

You can take a piece of color electrical tape and place a strip across the slide and base. With a straight edge and a fine point perminate marker you draw a line across the joint of the slide and base. Then take a razor blade and cut through the tape at the joint. It is then just a simple matter of lining up the marks to get back where you want to go.

I have also made metal gages that fit between the bottom of the arm and the top of the base. I file and polish until the fit is exact at a certain setting. To replace the slide/arm, just put the gage on top of the base and let the base down until it contacts and lock it down. I made one for my Krag that is doubled ended. One end for 100 yards setting another for 250 yards. I drilled a hole through the middle and hung it around my neck on a leather thong.

Buckshot
01-08-2006, 03:48 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Redfield-rifle-recevier-sight-U-S-Krag_W0QQitemZ7208840415QQcategoryZ36258QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

About 15 hours to go as I type this.

....................Buckshot

P Patcher
01-08-2006, 09:19 AM
It looks to me like that is a drill and tap model. I think limpingj is looking for a Redfield 70KT or I believe a 102KT, some one please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm looking for one also but can't seem to beat the snipers and folks that bid to ridiculous prices.

Addison

Frank46
01-09-2006, 04:24 AM
Yep. if my eyes aren't playing tricks that sight is a drill and tap.. The slide is on the opposite side. Besides the bidding is over. Frank

Char-Gar
01-21-2006, 12:15 AM
That sight is the REcord for the Krag. The REcord series replaced the 102 series. The sight in question does require drilling and tapping and fits on the right side of the receiver in front of the bolt. If anybody wants one, I have one that is NIB and $40.00 will get it delivered to your front door.

omgb
01-21-2006, 02:13 AM
"That being said, one of the later issue sights, can't recall if it was the 1901 or 1902, has an aperture that pivots below the open V of the standard sight. You simply push it up into place and have an aperture. It has a very small hole."

Brother you said a mouthful. I bought one of those and had it fitted to my Zuave. That peep is so danged tiny a gnat's little toe would find it a tight fit. "Finer than frog's hair" as one old "coonass" for LA used to say.( "coonass" for the PC crowd refers to a Cajun and has no ref. to epithilial pigmentation or race.) :)

StarMetal
01-21-2006, 12:49 PM
That aperture flip up sight you speak of is absolutely worthless unless you're aiming at something very bright...like the sun. I openned the hole up on might slightly.

Joe

Char-Gar
01-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Joe is right...You need to open up that flip up sight to make it useful. I drill one out and it work fine. Slower than a receiver peep but far better than open sights. I took it off when I put a Lyman 48 on.

BTW I have have that drilled out sight and it is is excess to my needs. The entire sight has been reblued so has no collectors value, but works fine. If anybody wants it, PM we and we will talk.

I have been picking Krag sights before they went sky high. I have an NIB Redfield 70K and another NIB 102K, plus a couple of Lyman 48Ks. Sorry boys but these are not for sale. No way Jose!!! Maybe you can buy them from my estate when I shuffle off the mortal coil.

Cosmiceyes
09-20-2013, 05:43 PM
.............This is my Krag with a Redfield 'No drill".

http://www.fototime.com/D0D7166B1E9D8B1/standard.jpg

................Buckshot

I have a Redfield Hunter like this missing the mount screw,and actual fine peep. Still looking for the parts. :)'s

Cosmiceyes
09-20-2013, 05:44 PM
They look like this...

This is the exact model I have! :)'s

bob208
09-21-2013, 10:41 AM
in my collection of krag stuff I have one sight like the first one pictured it is marked western. the other is a Redfield like the second one.

gnoahhh
09-21-2013, 01:05 PM
I have a Redfield Hunter like this missing the mount screw,and actual fine peep. Still looking for the parts. :)'s

You can substitute a Springfield lower band screw for the missing screw for a Redfield No-Drill Krag sight. The threads are right, but the unthreaded portion may need to be reduced in diameter, and the OAL shortened. For a replacement aperture, go to "Apertures and More" website. They make every aperture known to mankind, and are pretty cheap.

Bent Ramrod
09-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Many of the Lyman receiver sights had a set screw through the sight staff. This screw was turned in to touch the sight base for the default elevation setting. If elevation was increased for a different load or a longer range, or the staff had been removed, sliding it back until the set screw again touched the sight base would bring it back to the proper elevation again without having to count clicks or remember the markings on the staff.

Redfield, Pacific and Williams staffs could be drilled and tapped for such a screw if they don't have one already.

smoked turkey
09-24-2013, 08:26 PM
I have the rear sight base only for a model 1898 SA Krag. I tried to find the upper part of the sight and did find one on e-bay for $40 I think. I opted to have a Lyman fitted to my Krag in lieu of going with what I had. I have been waiting for going on a five weeks now and still don't have it back. I am starting to think I should have spent the $40 and I'd be shooting the Krag. I didn't so I have the rear sight base for sale for $20 plus shipping. It is the Pacific base. I will try to post a picture of the base. It also has the set screw included and is in good condition. I paid $23 for the magazine cutoff so I am just trying to recoup most of my money. If anyone is interested, PM me. Thanks.