PDA

View Full Version : wolf primers

michiganflyer
01-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Anyone using Wolf Primers?
I did a search and saw one person said they were fine, but that was all I could find.
I have been using only Federal 100s (small pistol), but I am considering ordering 10,000 wolf.
Anyone have problems?

docone31
01-04-2009, 09:50 PM
I find Wolf to be a little tight, but great primers. I do all sizes. Even though they are tight, the primer does not get a print from the tool.
I like the price, and performance. Have not had a misfire to date with them.

lunicy
01-04-2009, 09:52 PM
I've had no problems with wolf primers. Not a one. I promised CCI I'd tell everyone that CCI primers are horrible. I have had more problems with CCI than anything. I had a bad batch of CCI. 5-10 out of 100 FTF. I called them to see if there was a recall or something and they continually insisted it was my poor practice. I am no newbie to this, and it wasn't one run. It was several loads in several calibers. BTW when I loaded the Dillon with Winchester, all the problems disappeared. I'm not saying CCI sold bad primers, it could have been shipping or storage. This guy didn't want to believe me. I wasn't even looking for a handout. I was looking for info. They treated me like I was a criminal. ok, I'm done venting.
Wolf = good
Winchester = good
CCI = BAD

Chunky Monkey
01-04-2009, 10:00 PM
I have never had a problem with Wolf. I just bought 15,000 more large pistol and small rifle magnums! I can get them delivered to me with shipping and hazmat cheaper than I can buy other brands locally. :-D

I used to by CCI and have never had a problem, lucky I guess.

Hip's Ax
01-04-2009, 10:02 PM
I can't comment on their pistol primers but have heard nothing bad and plenty good (VERY GOOD) about their rifle primers.

I have not used any yet but I bought deep based on what I read in magazines, on the internet and also from very experienced friends.

I didn't just buy them for price, although the price is very nice. I bought them because of accuracy claims and performance claims.

I will however temper the claim with the statement that I am a match shooter so what I consider important might not be to another type of shooter.

Be aware that at least with Wolf rifle primers that Magnum just means thicker cups, the primer mix is the same as non-magnum.

Maybe a pistol guy will pipe up.

michiganflyer
01-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Wow, keep the comments coming in. I too can order wolf cheaper than cci or federal even with the hazzmat, as long as I get 5k and up.
I have never had a FTF but I do tear the label off each primer pack, and use that to write my info from reloading on. I put that label in my reloads (the packs I put them in), then if I have a problem, I know the lot number of the primers.

Are you guys loading with a dillon press?

I have a 550b, as well as a Lee 1000, and have used CCI, Winchester, and Federal primers without issue.

leadhead
01-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Where have you been getting these wolf primers?
Everywhere I tryed to buy them, they were out of
stock.
Denny

Hip's Ax
01-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Powder Valley and Widener's. Both are running weeks behind in shipping because of huge amounts of orders due to Obama-itis.

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

http://www.wideners.com/

Chunky Monkey
01-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Powder Valley and Widener's. Both are running weeks behind in shipping because of huge amounts of orders due to Obama-itis.

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

http://www.wideners.com/

Yep, I get mine at Wideners!! Great service!!!!

I have used about 8,000 - 10,000 large pistol primers without a problem. They all go bang.

ddeaton
01-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Ok guys, I just ordered some from Wideners. Will see how they work. They are out of large rifle though.

lathesmith
01-04-2009, 11:30 PM
I currently use both standard and Mag Wolf pistol primers, and to date have had no problems. I can't comment on the formulation, but the mag pistol primers have worked fine for my Pyrodex 45 Colt loads in my Ruger Vaquero. As usual, YMMV....
lathesmith

hedgehorn
01-04-2009, 11:57 PM
I have used Wolf and Magtech without any problems. I buy primers locally when I can find them and they are usually about 7 dollars cheaper per 1000 than the other brands and I cant find a reason not to use them. ;)

Boerrancher
01-05-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm not saying CCI sold bad primers, it could have been shipping or storage.

I will say it for you, CCI sold you bad primers. I had been noticing a good deal of CCI arsenal primers showing up in the reloading shops around. These were all nice and packaged in black and white boxes for use in Government Ammo. I started inquiring from various folks who know what is going on with gov. contracts, and I heard that CCI and Remington lost their contracts for the US military because of FTF problems with their primers.

Over the last year I quit buying CCI and Remington primes because I had too many FTF's. I have had up to 10 % FTF from Remington and CCI primers, most of which has been do to lack of priming compound in the primer cups. I couldn't get anything but rudeness from Remington and CCI when I made inquiries as to if there was going to be a recall. Since those two companies we not interested in helping me solve my problems, I found a way to solve them. As of the middle of November, 08 I quit buying their products. I started shooting Federals,(when I can find them) Winchesters, and Wolf. I havn't had a misfire yet.

Now I need to find a way to use up the 800 or so Remington small rifle primers, and the 500 or so CCI large rifle primers that I have. I guess I will use them for plinking loads in my pistols with old brass so when I get a FTF I can just toss it.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

bpost1958
01-05-2009, 09:48 AM
I have used them and found the most consistent ignition ever using the small rifle mag. over the chrono the SD and ES were reduced by a third. I sure like them.

Boz330
01-05-2009, 09:51 AM
FTFs in government ammo, NOT GOOD. Wouldn't that just pi$$ you off in the middle of a fire fight.:evil:
I have been stocking up on Wolf because of the price and the good things I have heard about them.

Bob

madsenshooter
01-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Sorry to hear that about CCI, as I've used them for years without any trouble, I'll be on the lookout and certainly avoid the packaging Boer Rancher mentioned.

waksupi
01-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I had a bit better luck on getting info when I contacted CCI some years ago. According to them, the end of the cup of thier primers, is cut more sharply than other brands, and require a bit more seating pressure to be sure the anvil is in contact. Kind of like an ill fitting cap on a caplock.
The solution was, to use the ram seater on the press to put them home, rather than using an auto prime. After I did this, I had no more misfires. However, after I shot up my last few thousand CCI primers, I went to other brands, just to avoid the extra step.

44mag1
01-05-2009, 12:06 PM
I too quit using CCI primers for my 629 and glock 20, too many ftf. winchester and federal work flawless for me. I want to try the wolf as soon as I can find some

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
01-05-2009, 12:35 PM
What kind of price are they running on the Wolfe's? But then again after reading about them on other forums I dont think I would want to use them. I got Fed. 210 and 215's for $20.99 per thousand. I think the price would have to be way low for me to try them.

Uncle Jefro
01-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I loaded up a batch of small pistol primers a while back with good results. They were tight to load, but preformed well in my cowboy guns with lightened springs.

Uncle Jefro

Hip's Ax
01-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Ok guys, I just ordered some from Wideners. Will see how they work. They are out of large rifle though.

Powder Valley has LR in stock but no LR Mag, Widener's has LR Mag but no LR. Its been going back and forth like that since early summer.

Hardcast416taylor
01-05-2009, 03:35 PM
At Williams gun Sight retail store CCI is the most expensive primer they have. It also is the most plentiful on the shelf. The unit price for 1000 is $29.95 for Win. and Rem. CCI is a full $4 more. Gee, I wonder why I only buying Win.? They don`t stock Wolf that I know of.:coffeecom Robert

putteral
01-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I have bought from both powder valley and widener's. Both have graet service. Only use small and large pistol primers from Wolf and like everybody says they go bang. Have not had one failure yet 15000+ and still going. Can't say the same for Winchester or CCI.

lead Foot
01-06-2009, 03:28 AM
Were are they made? They sell wolf loaded ammo here but haven't seen primers yet.

Crazy4nitro
01-06-2009, 06:55 AM
+1 on Wolf SP Primers.
Over my Chrono,with only Primers the varible the Wolf "Acted" Most like my Winchesters FPS wise.

'Nitro

mike in co
01-06-2009, 10:58 AM
What kind of price are they running on the Wolfe's? But then again after reading about them on other forums I dont think I would want to use them. I got Fed. 210 and 215's for $20.99 per thousand. I think the price would have to be way low for me to try them.

i'm biased, but i have data to back it up. wolfe primers have shown to be extremely consistant, as in the consistancy of match primers. ftf( failure to fire) have been close to nil ( one known in excess of 150,000 and growing)
no issues with seating from small pistol, no issues with the specific 223 primer.

when these were sold as pmc they were hailed as the best primer on the market.

do not where your info comes from but it is completely opposite of mine.
anyone selling primers at $21 per k today is selling old stock, because it is unlikely they could make a profit at those prices. that price is less than dealer cost before adding shipping and hazmat costs!...yes i use to buy primers at 12 per k...but it is history and not relavent to a discussion today.
i would have to say all of your data is quite questionable.

mike in co

mike in co
01-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Were are they made? They sell wolf loaded ammo here but haven't seen primers yet.

russia

Willbird
01-06-2009, 11:08 AM
I heard from one guy I know in FL. He and his buddy bought a bunch of LP Wolf primers, they are running into a situation where they are not hot enough to light off H110 in a 44 magnum super redhawk, the powder does not properly ignite and leaves the bullet in the forcing cone.

That is the only case of that I have heard of with ANY primer. I have used H11/WW296 with a variety of magnum and non magnum primers (magnum is recommended) and never had a situation like that happen.

Bill

BruceB
01-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Mike, in the event that you do make it to NCBS '09, would you consider bringing a whole mess of Wolf primers to Winnemucca for the membership?

We could arrange pre-paid orders, or C.O. D., whatever you prefer. It would save us all a BUNCH of money on haz-mat and shipping charges. I'd be in for at least a few thousand, fer sure.

How about it?

mike in co
01-06-2009, 11:21 AM
I heard from one guy I know in FL. He and his buddy bought a bunch of LP Wolf primers, they are running into a situation where they are not hot enough to light off H110 in a 44 magnum super redhawk, the powder does not properly ignite and leaves the bullet in the forcing cone.

That is the only case of that I have heard of with ANY primer. I have used H11/WW296 with a variety of magnum and non magnum primers (magnum is recommended) and never had a situation like that happen.

Bill

i have limited 44 mag loading experience( i shoot a mag match once a month), but have used std primers from day one in my revolver and use mag in my carbine. believe the carbine benefits from a longer burn time( no cylinder gap). i only use aa9 and similar wc820 powders, so no real help, but my books say mag primers for h110/w296.

would like to hear more on this situtation.

mike in co

MT Gianni
01-06-2009, 01:35 PM

Bill

Could it be a crimp issue? H110/W296 takes a good amount of pressure to get a good burn.

Willbird
01-06-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm really not sure on the crimp issue, but as I said I have used it with std primers and had no bad experiences at all in any cartridge, I have heard accuracy is enhanced by using a very strong bullet pull, but never heard of anybody not getting it to light off.

As an experiment I have loaded straight walled pistol ctg. with a FULL case of very slow rifle powders such as 4831 and in every instance the bullet exited the barrel.

Bill

lead_her_fly
01-06-2009, 08:35 PM
On my second 500 Large Pistol without a FTF. I have used their Magnum Large Pistol, Standard Small Pistol and Standard Small Rifle with out on single problem. They are tight, but in my world that is OK!

part_timer
01-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the info. I was looking for a place to get a good deal on primers and this was it.

dhain
01-07-2009, 01:06 AM
A buddy and I bought some Wolf small and large pistol primers together to save on the hazmat charge. Neither of us has had any problems to date. I've been through about 1,000 so far.

Wilson
01-07-2009, 11:57 PM
I've been shooting them for the last couple of months and find the great. 25,000 small pistol just arrived last week.

ddeaton
01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
I just order some large rifle from Powder Valley. Will let you guys know how they fare. I will be loading the large pistol on a Dillon 650. I want to see how they run through it.