PDA

View Full Version : Help getting started

Tippet
01-04-2009, 05:55 PM
I know intuitively there's a thread around ehre somewhere for beginners like me. I've looked around and frankly there's almost too much information...I've had some old stuff for many years, hand-me-down mould and handles for .357mag, a pot and a dipper which looks pretty corroded. Never used it yet. I want to cast for .357 mag, .380ACP, 9x19 and .45ACP. I always thought it was going to be pretty simple, and I still think it might be but looks like not quite as simple as I thought. I need to start at the beginning, so any recommendations for a good book, any threads, any help at all will be appreciated.

runfiverun
01-04-2009, 07:05 PM
if you want the best teacher available................
fire up the pot and pour some boolits. if you screw them up put them back in the pot.
and try something else.

DLCTEX
01-04-2009, 07:25 PM
I'd recommend Lyman's Cast bullet Handbook and spend some time reading in this forum, then ask any questions you have. Members are always happy to help. Melt some alloy in the pot and scrape down the sides and bottom with a large spoon or a dry wooden dowel while the molten metal is in the pot. I find a large tablespoon handy for scraping and skimming chores.You could clean it with a wire brush in a handheld drill wearing a good dust mask in a well ventilated(preferably outside ) area.The ladle could be buffed on a wire wheel or just heated in the pot of melt and used if only coated with thin rust. You can always melt and recast mistakes.DALE

Tippet
01-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the comebacks guys! OK Lyman Handbook it is.

nvbirdman
01-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Try your local public library. My local library has books on reloading, gun disassembly and repair, etc.

Heavy lead
01-04-2009, 11:56 PM
if you want the best teacher available................
fire up the pot and pour some boolits. if you screw them up put them back in the pot.
and try something else.

Yup, it's not that hard, start simple and just cast, and keep it simple in the begining. You'll have time to get fancy later.

NSP64
01-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Tippet, Cast some boolits and if they don't look good, try again. Hot lead and mold make it easier.

docone31
01-05-2009, 12:01 AM
The Cast Bullet Handbook is a great resource.
With casting, just fire that puppy up! If it is wrinkley, heat up the mold. As you cast, you will learn. If you just keep at it, you will feel satisfied. The first batches for me looked like crapola.
They melt same as ingots so no biggee.
Just keep at it. If you do that, you will break through.

Tippet
01-05-2009, 12:30 AM
OK. The pot is just a pot, I need to figure out what to use for heating it up. Maybe an old backpacking stove. I have a lot of fishing weights for lead.

I have a few pounds of .357's my Dad cast back in the day, we never did get them all loaded. I bet he won't mind if I melt some of 'em, I'll ask.

But I better do some reading first.

Tippet
01-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Oh wait I need a mould. I barely shoot the .357 anymore I need a .45 for sure, and my wife shoots 9mm and .380acp

docone31
01-05-2009, 12:52 AM
I used an hot plate and cast iron pot for years.
All I needed shy of a ladle and mold.
I use Lee products.
I heat soak the mold in the melt untill the lead falls off the mold. I then cast fast enough to get the mold hot. At that point, I slow down. I watch the sprue.
You will be able to read the mold also.
If they are full of wrinkles, heat the mold some more.
I use the Lee Push Thru Sizer Dies, and pan lube.
Great stuff there.

AZ-Stew
01-06-2009, 12:29 PM
My, my! How DID we learn to cast before the Internet? Seriously, you're off to a good start with the Lyman book. Be sure to read teh "How To' sections, not just the load tables. This will get you started. Then, as others have said, cast a bunch of boolits! Try one thing at a time, don't try to cast all calibers at once. When you've mastered one, try another. Same goes with casting technique. If you're getting wrinkled boolits, add more heat to the mould by casting a bunch as fast as you can fill and empty the mould. When the frost starts to appear, slow down. If you're still not getting good fillout, vary your pour rate. Take to heart what's in the lyman book. It was written by experts and their techniques work pretty darned well.

Regards,

Stew

Bret4207
01-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Here id s photo essay done by our own Christian for Israel, good stuff too!

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/showthread.php?t=271268