PDA

View Full Version : where to crimp

redriverhunter
01-04-2009, 09:21 AM
I got my first batch of boolets put sized and lubed. when i was ordering equipment the only thing i could not get was a lee loading manual.
on a lee 309- 170-f I am not sure where to crimp and what the col should be
also the col for a lee 358-158 RF and where to crimp
thanks for the help

Wayne Smith
01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
It would help if you gave us the cartridge designation - that does make a difference, you kno. Generally you want your oal to put your boolit just off the start of the lands to starting into the lands, depending on the design of the boolit. A nose rider boolit design will typically start with the nose into the bore.

cajun shooter
01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
THe OAL is set up by what caliber you are loading for. No one on this forum can help you without that info. You are putting the cart before the horse if you are casting without any reloading manuals. I think you need to back up and start with the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook. It's available at many places such as Amazon. The Lee book is a good one and I own a copy but Lyman was decades ahead and their loading manuals will work. Also Speer, Hornady, and such. This site is full of people that will lend you a hand several times over but you need to help yourself by starting in the order of things. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

redriverhunter
01-04-2009, 10:42 AM
opps thanks for the replies
i got the lyman cast bullet hand book, never loaded a cast bullet was not sure how interchangeable the info is
i am reloading for 3030wcf and 357 mag.

randyrat
01-04-2009, 11:04 AM
My sweet load for the 30-30 is loaded to 2.55 and mybe sometimes am able to load out just a little farther.
It shoots and levers with the bullet at 2.55 with no hang ups.

randyrat
01-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Now remember when you test your bullets out in the gun room point it in a safe direction, where it won't bunce off the wall and shoot a hole in the water heater or something worse.
Your gun may very slighty mine is older than dirt.

TAWILDCATT
01-04-2009, 08:51 PM
look at the bullet you will see the crimp groove.oal does not mean any thing
except to long and it wont fit in mag.I use the crimp groove.except on SWC 45/38 where I crimp in the top band.:coffee:[smilie=1: