PDA

View Full Version : That’s what I’m talking about.

opentop
01-04-2009, 02:36 AM
The satisfaction I get from casting my own is being able to take something from a scrap yard or junk pile (lead), and turning it into usable projectiles to send down range. I have an appreciation for the old stuff, and I like to reproduce vintage items from what ever era I have an interest in.

I read the thread, “original 45 colt” http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29012 and got really engrossed in it. I immediately ordered a 454190 mold from midway. I received the mold earlier this week and found time to cast some today.

I loaded up a dummy round for display and decided to take some pics of it, so I thought I would share them here.

I also went to Wally world tonight and bought some ingredients to make lube so I can shove this boolit into a case full of holy black.

Echo
01-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Who says addiction can't be enjoyable?

Looking Good!

1Shirt
01-04-2009, 02:00 PM
No question, You are hooked! Good Luck and happy casting!
1Shirt!:coffee:

copdills
01-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Some fine looking Boolits

Catshooter
01-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Very nice! Excellent choise of boolit/cartridge too. What do you shoot that out of? Keep us posted as to how the Holy Black shoot.

Cat

Gunslinger
01-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Very nice boolits indeed! Pictures are soo good to look at! Can't wait to get started casting for my .357 and .30-30...

01-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Common affliction here. The more one does, figures, builds, studies, participates, crafts, designs and so on the more the self satisfaction. Old original stuff to the extent it can be used plus the accurate reproduction of that which can't sure does get into the blood! Some just talk about history, the closest I'll ever get to it is some level of participation- like loading for and shooting original Colt single actions or Winchesters or Sharps or military arms of the past.... makes history live in some small part and certainly allows for some appreciation of the past.

ddeaton
01-04-2009, 11:39 PM
nice looking boolits, we have to get together and shoot these things we make now.

Buckshot
01-05-2009, 02:12 AM
.................I remember a few years back at the NCBS pistol stake shoot where powderburnerr was using a SAA in 45 Colt loaded with BP. The stake shoot is a team event and ole Dean had his cohorts gasping, gagging and practically unable to see their stake :-) The object is to shoot your stake in half first, so the shooting is rapid and powderburnerr was laying down a pretty fine smoke screen!

..............Buckshot

mroliver77
01-05-2009, 04:25 AM
Where abouts is okeana ohio?? I am NW Oh close to Toledo.
I love the old weapons and cast boolits. I just bought an 1893 Model Marlin in 38-55. I think I am too chicken to shoot black in a levergun and reserve it for the Rolling block 45--70.
J

StrawHat
01-05-2009, 05:52 AM
Where abouts is okeana ohio?? I am NW Oh close to Toledo.
I love the old weapons and cast boolits. I just bought an 1893 Model Marlin in 38-55. I think I am too chicken to shoot black in a levergun and reserve it for the Rolling block 45--70.
J

Can't answer the first question but using gunpowder in lever guns is not tnat big a deal. Load them, shoot them. For cleaning make yourself a rack that holds the rifle upside down. All the gunk falls OUT of the rifle not IN to the rifle. A bore snake helps also.

That's how I did it before I went to nitro powder in my 405.

Good luck.

Now, back to the topic, nice looking cartridges you made Opentop. What do you use them in?

mroliver77
01-05-2009, 08:08 AM
To clarify my :fear: is getting BP residue in the levers action. I was thinking a fired case to seal the chamber while cleaning. Boresnake is good idea. Hey!!! (light goes on) upside down!:)
J

01-05-2009, 09:45 AM
What StrawHat said about upside down!!
Been doing that for a long time, including smokeless loads.... particularly useful when shooting 5744 :mrgreen: I clean levers, trapdoors and single shots upside down even though some can be cleaned from the breech.

Just be sure to use a muzzle guide.

opentop
01-05-2009, 02:24 PM
I'll be shooting these out of an Ubetri SAA. Funny thing is, I've had the gun 5 years or so now and have never fired it.

I made up my first batch of home made lube yesterday and all went well. I followed goat lips directions and didn't have any problems.

Hey deaton, give me a call. I still have that 45 ACP brass for ya.