PDA

View Full Version : Kinda new here but need to get some info

skeet028
01-04-2009, 12:55 AM
I happen to have a few H&G moulds and 2 are kinda unique. I have a #200 and a #202. One is for 357 and the other is 45. They are both for the Harvey protex bore zinc bases. I have a few(maybe a 1000 each) left. Is it possible to find the zinc washers for them any longer? Any help would be appreciated. Starting to get back into casting after a few years. I'll probably sell the 357 as I don't shoot that caliber much. But it would be nice to be able to get the bases. Thanks y'all. This is a really neat site.

Dale53
01-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Corbin sells bullet swaging equipment including their "base guard" bullets. Base Guard is their name for protex bore zinc bases. Call them or e-mail them and ask them to refer you to one of their dealers who makes the "base guard". Then call and talk to the maker.

Jim Harvey has been dead and gone for years. Corbin's base guard are reputed to be a much improved version. Will they fit your mould? I haven't a clue but you can follow through with my suggestions and find out.

Good luck!
Dale53

Dale53

skeet028
01-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the info. I figured Harvey was gone..Musta been even older than me.:roll: I have a couple of the little Lakeville Arms Folders here on my desk. Neat stuff that they had..Even converted handguns to shot loads... Wonder who made the molds they had listed??

dromia
01-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Welcome aboard Skeet. :drinks:

skeet028
01-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Hey thanks a lot. I've been lurkin a little bit and boy have I learned a bunch of useful info. Been about 5 yrs since I cast stuff. I actually cast a few boolits to sell when I had the ol gun shop back east. Now maybe I can learn how to really do it!!

Dale53
01-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Harvey's ProTexBore system was pretty much a commercial failure. The problem was the zinc bases came in only one size. They only worked if the base quite closely fit the revolver for which they were shot in. Otherwise, you got severe leading.

Dave Corbin (the "swaged bullet" man),wrote an excellent article on a system that he was selling to swage bullets and install a zinc base at the time of swaging. He claimed to have solved the problem with a "domed" base that would vary in size depending on which revolver it was fired in (the dome would collapse to fit at ignition). It sounded quite reasonable and should work well. However, the set up was quite expensive and unless you are going to make these for sale, it was prohibitive in cost. I believe the article is in a back issue of Handloader but I don't know which one.

Whether or not his bases (he made and sold tooling to make these, also) would fit the Lyman moulds is something that I can't answer. IF the NEW bases are available from someone (Corbin may know) and WOULD fit the Lyman mould, then it might be worth while to try them.

Since I have been MORE than happy with my own cast bullets, for range use AND hunting, I only have slight academic interest in these.

Dale53

skeet028
01-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks for that info. I have swaged bullets in the past as I have 3 or 4 sets of RCBS dies. Back when I had more time than money as a kid I got hold of a nice A and A2 press complete with a couple sets of swage dies. Only paid 25 bucks for them back then. Just bought a bunch of stuff from a fellow in Aridzona and got a set and a half of old RCBS dies..one 22 and most of a 25 cal set as well as the old A press he used . The press was minus the shellholder ram but I can make one of them so I can use it for reloading.... at least...If anyone has any of these Prot-X bore bases..I'd be interested in them.