PDA

View Full Version : SKS...Guess Yall Dying To Know

StarMetal
01-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Well fellows....I've been doing ALOT of test shooting my Yugo SKS with the scope on it. Using the Lee 312-155 and my own gaschecks with surplus 4895 powder. Bottomline so far is when I reload with alot of attention to quality and try my darnest concentrating on that that trigger and my scope view.....she'll chew a 1/2 inch group at 100 yards...yup! Dang...thats kinda kicking on those CZ and Ruger bolt gun heels wouldn't you think? I've done all kind of stuff so don't expect your SKS to shoot like that right off the bat....like taking all the junk off the rifle, bayonet, etc., glass bedding the action, firing manually with the gasvalve shutoff, neck sizing the brass only, and of course use of a scope. By the way the same load with Hornady gaschecks not only shoots to a different point of impact, but the groups are bad.

Joe

waksupi
01-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Joe, I will be expecting you to enter the shooting matches!

jballs918
01-04-2006, 09:38 PM
i think the k31 would smoke him still ;-) . but you know. but that is awful good for a yugo sks i must say

StarMetal
01-04-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm positive a K31 with a scope on it would smoke my SKS.

Joe

Buckshot
01-05-2006, 05:31 AM
I'm positive a K31 with a scope on it would smoke my SKS.

Joe

.............I don't know. My 03A1 won't do 1/2" at 100, my scoped M77 Ruger will do 5 into an inch but not 1/2".

My M112 Savage single shot in 223 with a 24X scope will do 1/2" guarenteed, all day, any day at 100 yards, and sometimes do .3's, but it is a for sure half MOA rifle.

To do 1/2" at 100 yards is VERY respectable and is full on cast boolit benchrest material. Ya oughta enter that thing in the CBA postals :-)

...................Buckshot

waksupi
01-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Buckshot is right. That's top benchrest shooting. I only have one rifle that will stay close to sub- inch, the others are over, and I have a butt load of rifles.

swheeler
01-05-2006, 11:58 AM
One ragged hole! Who would've thought- good shooting Joe- no, great shooting!
Scooter

StarMetal
01-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Ric and Rick,

The Sako will cut holes with cast smaller then one inch, the Krag I have has been known to do it when my eyes were better (it's not scoped), my CZ 30-06 with do it..god knows what else....I've certainly had rifle that's I've sold that would do it. Had a Model 70 Win Featherlight in 7x57 that would and also a Mark X Mauser carbine in 7x57 that would also. You fellows need to talk to 45 2.1...he more that will shoot like that, that will boggle your mine.

My Remington 541-S 22 rimfire will shoot factory cast (well swaged) like that...hahahahaahahahaha. So see you guys probably have a rifle that will too.

That SKS will not do it consistantly by the way...so don't get your bloomers in an uproar......but the times that is cuts groups like that impresses me for type of firearm that it is.

Joe

StarMetal
01-05-2006, 12:11 PM
swheeler

It WAS NOT a 1/2 inch hole....it was a 1/2 group.

Joe

mag_01
01-05-2006, 12:15 PM
:lovebooli Star metal---I have had good luck with IMR 4198 with the SKS---Lee 160 gr. boolit sized .311 with 19.3 grs. of 4198--not a whimp load by any means--ur results are great ----MAG_01 :smile:

Char-Gar
01-05-2006, 12:25 PM
That SKS may set a new standard. Like others I have a butt load of rifles and only two that will do a consistant 100 yard MOA with cast. I have several others that will do 1.5 MOA on demand.

I have a Browning Tradtional Hunter (30-30) that will do the MOA thing with cast bullets and the factory tang sight.

The other rifle is my 700 VS in 308. I can keep regular 1 MOA with several different cast loads. It will do .65 MOA on a regular basis with several loads. I have some some .5 MOA groups, but can't do it on a regular basis...YET! This is with a Redfield 12X scope.

Color me impressed, and perhaps a little skeptical with that SKS. I have no doubt it did what is reported..I just wonder if it can do it day in and day out when the conditions and shooter are up to snuff.

StarMetal
01-05-2006, 12:32 PM
charger,

to answer your question..NO I don't cull the cast bullets, most time when I reload cast I load it like I'm loading jacketed. We know that you can't do that, have to be careful, just shaving the bullet during seating will ruin it's accuracy. So no...I can't do that consistantly with the SKS. I've been trying to get this baby to shoot and I've mentioned most all the things I've done to it. Heck I haven't even tried any of my other 30 cal cast bullets yet. Only tried two powders so far and two alloys. This alloy that I shot last is more like 45. 2.1's alloy. Like I said in the other post I'm surprised at how bad the loads with the Horncay gaschecks shot compared to my gaschecks. Boy...and let me tell you, my checks aren't any objects of beauty either. 45 2.1 thinks they have shot better because they are much thicker the Hornadys and also they are a tad longer.

Don't you fellows go thinking I done some fantastic shooting because I have not and I won't lie and tell you "Yeah, I can do this all day long"...because I can't. I got lucky yesterday. By the way yesterday it was 60 and today they are predicting snow flurries and snow on Friday. Crazy weather.

Joe

krag35
01-05-2006, 10:54 PM
I can't even see to shoot a 1/2" group, let alone hold steady enough. Joe, that's some fine shooting. I'll send in a target for the scoped rifle postal match, but it ain't gonna be nowhere in that class.
krag35

StarMetal
01-06-2006, 01:03 AM
Krag35

Thanks but I don't think it is with a scope off a bench. I'm sure you could do it also. Now with open sight...way too hard for me, eyes getting bad. I'm not done yet, I want it shooting it consistantly day and day out. One thing, my Yugo SKS doesn't seem to mine how many cast I have put down the barrel. Some of my rifles beg to be cleaned, not the SKS...and it's not chromed lined either. I'm going to try loading the bullet out as far as possible and single load them. As it is I have the gas valve shut off and manually crank the bolt. Interesting note here. There is a major difference in my rifle and load between the rifle being shot in the semi-auto mode then the manual mode as far as recoil. There is a lot less recoil in the semi-auto mode and I mean alot less. Not that we are talking some big caliber magnum here because we are not. But for example this mini 3x9 scope I have on it requires the scope to not be too far from my eye. On manual and firing the scope comes back and hits my eye ( I have glasses on). ON semi it barely jumps.

Joe

krag35
01-06-2006, 01:27 AM
Joe;
I think you can shoot it in the postal match. 3rd event.
" Sporterized milsurps , 100 yds, bench rest. Ends March 1"
I'm planning on using a Krag I have that is set up for either a scope or a peep.
krag35

Jeffreytooker
01-06-2006, 01:38 AM
My M112 Savage single shot in 223 with a 24X scope will do 1/2" guarenteed, all day, any day at 100 yards, and sometimes do .3's, but it is a for sure half MOA rifle.

...................Buckshot[/QUOTE]

Buckshot:

I have a 12BVSS in 223W. I must not be feeding mine the right stuff, because it is not doing 1/2 " at 100yds. Are you feeding it anything special?

Jeffrey

Buckshot
01-06-2006, 04:46 AM

...................Buckshot

Buckshot:

I have a 12BVSS in 223W. I must not be feeding mine the right stuff, because it is not doing 1/2 " at 100yds. Are you feeding it anything special?

Jeffrey[/QUOTE]

Hey jeff! Yes I am. LC83 brass fully prepped (scaled to .1gr, flash hole de-burr, neck turned, trimmed). Bullet is the Sierra #1400, a 53gr HP flat base match slug. Powder is 28.0grs W748.

.............Buckshot

Jeffreytooker
01-07-2006, 01:52 AM
Hey jeff! Yes I am. LC83 brass fully prepped (scaled to .1gr, flash hole de-burr, neck turned, trimmed). Bullet is the Sierra #1400, a 53gr HP flat base match slug. Powder is 28.0grs W748.

.............Buckshot[/QUOTE]

Buckshot:

Full "Match Brass" and jacketed bullets ought to do it. I shoot mine with cast boolits. I have not yet got a heavy mould to properly fit the land diameter. I have an NEI bore rider mould which throws at about 70 gr with lino. The nose is about .2165 and the land dimeter is .218. When I get it together I would like to shoot it to 200yds. I will hone out the nose for a better fit, then work up a load for it. If I dont have the heavy bullet running by the time for Winnamucca I will shoot a 55 grain Egan mould.

I will be coming to Winnamucca from about 30mi east of Red Bluff Ca. I was reading last years emails from the 2005 match, it seems most of the shooters shoot big Cast Boolits. I prefer the smaller cartridges for the serious business.
I will also bring some militaries for the fun stuff. Is there a dedicated 45-70 contingent in this group?

Looking foreward to a very enjoyable weekend at winnamucca.

Jeffrey

StarMetal
01-07-2006, 02:00 AM
Buckshot,

My Winchester Model 70 varminter in 223 will do consistant 1/2 groups at 100 yards using 53 gr Hornady Match bullets , WCC cases that are only trimmed to lenght and nothing else and 20 some grs of H4895 powder. I haven't tried prepping the cases further as you have and in fact I hardly ever shoot that rifle. Probably should start shooting cast out of it rather then let it sit the gunsafe.

Joe

Buckshot
01-07-2006, 04:38 AM
...............Jeffery, NCLB event in Winnemucca is a great time. There are normally several 45 cal rifles being used. The last few years Deputy Al and I usually drive up to Cedarville in Modoc County, CA for some ground squirrel popping before Winnemucca. Arrive Monday AM, check into the motel and strafe ground squirrels till Thursday afternoon. Then have a nice drive over to Winnemucca.

Last year we got into Winnemucca a bit early due to it's starting to rain pretty good in Cedarville. We went to the ACE Hardware store to look around. They had Bullseye (which I'd been out of for some time) on the shelf for $13.79/lb. I about had a siezure. Here in So.Cal at Turners it's like $21.00/lb. I grabbed 3 pounds of that, a pound of 748 and something else I dis-recollect at the moment.

................Buckshot

Jeffreytooker
01-08-2006, 05:51 PM
<<<<[QUOTE=Buckshot]...............Jeffery, NCLB event in Winnemucca is a great time. There are normally several 45 cal rifles being used. >>>>

What is a Guestimate of the number of people who will show up at this shindig in Winnemucca? I can see I will have to bring six or seven rifles.

<<<<The last few years Deputy Al and I usually drive up to Cedarville in Modoc County, CA for some ground squirrel popping before Winnemucca. Arrive Monday AM, check into the motel and strafe ground squirrels till Thursday afternoon. Then have a nice drive over to Winnemucca. >>>

When you are going to Cedarville do you go up 5 or 395?

<<<Last year we got into Winnemucca a bit early due to it's starting to rain pretty good in Cedarville. We went to the ACE Hardware store to look around. They had Bullseye (which I'd been out of for some time) on the shelf for $13.79/lb. I about had a siezure. Here in So.Cal at Turners it's like $21.00/lb. I grabbed 3 pounds of that, a pound of 748 and something else I dis-recollect at the moment.>>>>

I found a fellow going out of business. He could not move the powder back East.
I asked him what he had. He said if I took it all he would give it to me for $100.00. 20# AA2495, 11# 4759, 1# H4831, 1# IMR4198, 1# Blue Dot. Needless to say he got my $100.00. It is all in sealed containers. That is as good as surplus.

Keep Well.

More later.

Jeffrey

Buckshot
01-09-2006, 06:19 AM
................Jeff the number of folks vary a couple here and there. Probably 15 or so plus wives and/or offspring. Started out with like 5 8). I usually being 4-5 rifles and a couple pistols. Maybe 50 to 100 rounds each for the long guns and triple that for the short inconsequential ones, ha!

.................Buckshot

NVcurmudgeon
01-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Jeff, the number of rounds that you need to bring is in direct proportion to the exoticness of the firearms that you are bringing. If you bring unusual firearms, more shooters will want to test fire them. For example, Deputy Al will probably need to bring plenty of rounds for his CZ 9.3 X 62, but a Remington 700 BDL in .308 may well go unborrowed.

Buckshot's estimate of 15 or so shooters is close, though there has been a lot of early interest by previously non-attenders that may swell our ranks this year. My rule of thumb is that wives, children, and friends and relatives will double the estimated count. Some of the non-posting relatives are a force to be reckoned with when targets are measured. BruceB's wife and daughter are excellent shooters, and my stepson, Jaremy, habitually turns in at least one best target.

Jeffreytooker
01-09-2006, 03:04 PM
<<<<Jeff, the number of rounds that you need to bring is in direct proportion to the exoticness of the firearms that you are bringing. Deputy Al will probably need to bring plenty of rounds for his CZ 9.3 X 62,

Buckshot's estimate of 15 or so shooters is close,>>>>

NV & Buckshot:

Thank you for the info. I do not have any EXOTIC rifles. I have 30 Kern, (blown out 7.62X39) on a 1909 Argie. What are the common old military rifles which show up? I have a few to bring if I know what is common. Styer 95's are a lot of fun.

Jeffrey

NVcurmudgeon
01-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Jeffrey, by far the most common milsurp at Winnemucca is the 1903/1903A3 Springfield. Next in popularity would probably be various 98 Mauser types, then a couple of No. 4 Enfields, followed by at least one 1917 U.S. Enfield, and the odd Krag. I will leave it to Buckshot to comment on the more esoteric militaries.