PDA

View Full Version : A simple recipe please....

doghawg
01-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I've got these items accumulated thus far. I'm assuming the Sno Seal or Camp Dry (w/lanolin) will qualify as the beeswax portion of the recipe.

What I'm looking for is a simple recipe and procedure for cooking up a pan lube for revolver bullets in the 900 to 1200 fps range with what you see here. Do I need anything else? Thanks in advance.

Larry Gibson
01-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Keep the sno seal and camp dry for the boots, use the JPW on the floor or gunstocks and use the LLA on the bullets. Keep the mineral spirits to thin the LLA when it gets to thick.

It's about that simple.

Larry Gibson

runfiverun
01-02-2009, 09:34 PM
the yellow can in the middle will do fine.
just a glob in a cup and swirl around till your boolits are covered.
and if they have lube grooves swirl them till they start to fill up.

JSnover
01-02-2009, 09:42 PM
LLA is good stuff but I can't stand the smell. I like Emmert's: 50% beeswax, 40% crisco, 10% jojoba oil. Easy to work with, smells great! Hit the search feature for lube recipes, you'll find a few hundred here.

doghawg
01-02-2009, 11:05 PM
That's what I spent the last hour or so doing....I hit the search on lubes...and it's finally starting to sink in. There is no "standard" lube recipe!

copdills
01-02-2009, 11:13 PM
amen and most of them make good lipbalm LOL

jhrosier
01-02-2009, 11:22 PM
I clicked on the 'lsstuff' button on the bottom of the page and sent Glenn a pitifully small amount of money for a bunch of really good boolit lube. I also use LLA for some boolits, and when my curent stock runs out I will buy a nice big jug of 'xlox' from Glenn for a small price.
I'm as frugal as the next person but I can't see messing around with lubes when the good stuff is so cheap and easily available.

Jack

Calamity Jake
01-02-2009, 11:24 PM
"There is no "standard" lube recipe! "

If there is a standard boolet lube it would have to be NRA 50/50

Heavy lead
01-02-2009, 11:25 PM
i clicked on the 'lsstuff' button on the bottom of the page and sent glenn a pitifully small amount of money for a bunch of really good boolit lube. I also use lla for some boolits, and when my curent stock runs out i will buy a nice big jug of 'xlox' from glenn for a small price.
I'm as frugal as the next person but i can't see messing around with lubes when the good stuff is so cheap and easily available.

Jack

plus 1

runfiverun
01-03-2009, 01:24 AM
i can and do drive to glen's house for lube.
i still make my own.
and mix some commercial stuff for other loads.
but to just get to 1,000 fps bout anything will work, as long as there is a lube and a carrier.

JSnover
01-03-2009, 09:27 AM
That's what I spent the last hour or so doing....I hit the search on lubes...and it's finally starting to sink in. There is no "standard" lube recipe!

Everybody's got a favorite, though. If you'd like to make your own, grab a few simple recipes and try them. Some members are selling their own if you'd rather have someone else mix it for you. Hit the links at the bottom of the page for thier web sites.

wiljen
01-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Members also sell beeswax quite reasonably (see member products on www.castpics.net). I'd save the concoctions and buy a few lbs of beeswax should you decide to make lube. It'll be cheaper in the long run. Probably one of the easiest lubes to make is speed green. Its a mix of beeswax and bullplate lube (bullshop.gunloads.com) which is great stuff in and of itself.

44man
01-03-2009, 10:08 AM
There is a reason why there are so many lubes. Lube must be worked just like you do powder. Once you find an accurate load, then try all of the lubes because one will throw huge groups while another will pack all shots in one hole.
Get away from the idea that lube just prevents leading and that is all you need---NOT SO!
Some lubes work with a variety of boolits, velocities and calibers, others like LLA are restricted, I actually hate the stuff. 50-50 lubes also have a small area they work best at.
If I had to choose a few lubes they would be Felix, Glen's Carnauba Red, LBT Soft blue or his Magnum lube and LBT blue. Glen also makes other great lubes to try.
You just have to do the work so never make a huge batch of lube at the start. Make tiny batches and test with groups until you find a good one.

doghawg
01-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the replies!

.44 man.......Which of the commercial lubes, along with the ones you mentioned, could be classified as "soft" lubes...not requiring a heater? My thinking is a "soft" lube could be applied by hand and then the bullet sized in a Lee sizing die and this combo could be tested for accuracy and leading.....without putting a whole stick of something in a lubri-sizer. Feasible plan??

Picked up a 20 lb. cap lead pot today (on sale in the fishing dept!) and was going to smelt some "corn bread" WW ingots. Then I took a long hard look at my damp and icy unheated garage floor. It wouldn't take much of a spill to turn into disaster.......

superior
01-03-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm currently mixing up some paraffin wax and synthetic axel grease, 50/50.

44man
01-03-2009, 05:46 PM
I like Felix the best but contact Lar45 at the bottom of this page and ask him. I know he has some good soft lubes. LBT magnum and soft blue can be put on by hand.
I lube almost all of my boolits by hand then run them through an oversize Lee die to remove excess.
Carnauba Red and LBT blue are pretty hard and take a little heat. They are great lubes though.
50-50 is usually soft enough too. Knead some between your fingers and smear it in.
Glen would be your best bet, he makes all kinds of stuff.

wildwes
01-03-2009, 08:27 PM
I have read that the Johnson Paste wax makes a good cast lube, and I have almost a full can left over from a gunrack I built in high school, but can it be melted and used like a pan lube, only in the grooves? I like to be able to carry my bullets, and hate having the nose covered in lube. Would the jpw still be effective only in the grooves? Also, would it be better to maybe mix it with something else, like maybe beeswax, or a little moly axle grease? Sorry to post another question instead of answers, but I figured maybe it was relevant.

montana_charlie
01-03-2009, 10:27 PM
I have made lube using that Camp Dry, but I mixed it half-and-half with beeswax.
Then I added some boot dressing somewhat like your Sno Seal..perhaps enough to equal 5% of the total mix.

It closely resembles SPG, but has a slightly higher melting point.
CM

Wayne Smith
01-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Don't worry about your garage floor. None of that dampness will get into the pot. It's water in the lead that creates a steam explosion that provides us the tinsel fairy. The only problem your garage floor will create concerns the comfort of your ankles!

mroliver77
01-04-2009, 11:43 AM
For your light peestol loads I would say any of the stuff you have would work for lube. Mebbe some beeswax for stiffener. Go ahead and try it. You will not hurt anything. I have a black goop lube that is all my lube making attempts(rejects) thrown together. It works very well for pbulk peestol loads.
I do not buy lube. I can make it much cheaper than buying from somebody else and paying shipping. My time is worth little though.
Look up Felix World Famous Lube. That is a standardised lube recipe(although most seem to want to "tweak" it the first time they make it). Very good stuff! If you only shoot a few hundred boolits a year, a stick of Lars or or Bullshops "speed green" will go a long way.
J

TAWILDCATT
01-04-2009, 08:44 PM
I have used toilet ring and beeswax and add vasoline or gear grease.
I went to order beeswax and the person ask white or yellow,whats the differenc?
she asked what I wanted it for and I told her bullets so she said why not use ours,I bought 50 lbs at $1lb.do you have any idea how many sticks that would make.I sold 25 lb for $5 a lb to club members.

get a fryer pot and melt your own.yard sales have them for couple dollars.
steel conduit makes good mold pour and put in freezer and use a broom handle to push it out.:coffeecom [smilie=1: