PDA

View Full Version : Frosting?

Irascible
01-02-2009, 04:54 PM
What causes frosting only on localized spots? I'm casting with a 4 cavity H&G #51. I haven't used it for a few years and I don't remember this problem. It seems to be mostly at the bottom of the grease groove and is not deformed or sunken in. The alloy is the same as always, 10Lbs WW to 1 Lb of 50/50 solder.

docone31
01-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Need to stir the melt longer.

sagamore-one
01-02-2009, 07:16 PM
I ran into a similar problem with an H&G 51 in 10 cavity. I ended up increasing the melt temp to 725- 750 and ran the mould fast and furious for quite a while. I suspect that I had a touch of zink or other contaminant in my alloy. It was a "known" alloy , but behaved quite strangely.
And as already mentioned... stir, stir, stir , and flux.
The problem is almost always with the alloy and not with the mould.

Le Loup Solitaire
01-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Hi,, This is a duplicate post that is also listed under Molds-Maintanance & Design. I responded to it there. I have the same H& G mold and have had some experience with the same type of frosting....not on the #51, but on others once upon a time. Check your other post for more related info. LLS

NSP64
01-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Never localized, I either get frosted or not. mostly frost with alum molds.

Ron B.
02-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Hello Fello Casters!
I don't know, maybe I just haven't been casting long enough. (Almost 5 years & 1000s of bullets) but I find frosting can occur when your mold is too hot. Zinc may play a part also; but I'm pretty selective about my wheel weights.

I suggest, when you experience frosting ( actually, I prefer a little frost on my bullets) switch to another mold, allowing the one you've been using to cool off; but not too much. When casting, I'm always working 3 to four molds at a time. My pot is RCBS's ProMelt. The rheostat is turned to MAX, and left alone (850 degrees) I regulate my temperature with my molds, never allowing the level of lead reserve to drop below half way. Personally, I find it impossible to control the temperature of the lead "in the pot" as I'm continually adding more lead, while removing lead, casting.

Reading several comments from the two separate threads, I noticed Irascible wrote something about heating only in the 650 range? IMO, that's too cool a temperature. Yes, shiny is pretty; but in bullet casting I don't find the quality of the casting is consistently good.

One other thing, dacone31 hit on it; but IMO didn't go quite far enough. I suggest stirring your pot every couple of minutes; adding flux. I never allow too much waste to accumulate, as it's a heat robber.

Thanks for allowing me to express my thoughts, and opinions. :)
GRB

WHITETAIL
02-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Yes, I concure!
From what I've seen in my lead
is flux and stirr, flux and stirr.