PDA

View Full Version : .44 SuperRedhawk casting equip. recommendations

the_ursus
01-02-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm getting ready to re-purchase all the casting equipment that I lost during Christmas travel and thought I'd get a few other opinions on what to get.

First, I had a Lyman SWC 255gr fitted for gas check for my Super Redhawk .44 and I'm thinking of just reordering the same thing unless someone can change my mind. I intend on using these boolits for black bear and just cheap shooting at the range.

Second, Lyman or Hornady gas checks? I read somewhere that the Hornady's are designed to crimp a little which appeals to me. They are also cheaper on Midway.

Third, I HAD a hardness tester since I plan on using scrap lead but if you "old-timers" have alternative methods I'm listening. Those things are kinda spendy.

Thanks guys!

fatnhappy
01-02-2009, 01:50 PM
I intend on using these boolits for ..... cheap shooting at the range.

I read somewhere that the Hornady's are designed to crimp a little which appeals to me. They are also cheaper on Midway.

Based on those 2 statements alone, I believe you might be better served picking out a lyman 429421 instead. Gas checks aren't cheap anymore, and unless you need them for a specific reason, really aren't needed for a .44 mag pistol. YMMV.

the_ursus
01-02-2009, 02:22 PM
So maybe getting a hardness tester could remove the need for gas checks? Never thought of it that way. At $40-50 for 1000 checks the tester would pay for itself in a short while.

I know it may not be realistic to have the one mold that does all (hunting-plinking) so if I had to choose it would be for target shooting.

Keep the comments comming!

the_ursus
01-02-2009, 03:29 PM
In addition, I do have a Lee 265 SWC w/o gas check that I may need to tinker with some more. If gas checks really aren't necessary, maybe I just need to make consistently harder bullets. Leading has been a big issue for me in the past but mostly due to my lack of experience. I also have read that sizing correctly will have a lot of say-so in weather or not there's leading.

Sheesh, every time I get an answer to a question it raises more questions!

Blammer
01-02-2009, 04:43 PM
I'd pick on of these PLAIN base ones at about 250gr and up.

If you get a mould with gas checks, keep an eye out for the GB's here for GC's. Way cheaper than midway and good quality too... :) (plus I'm the guy who sells em...) I don't have any at the moment but may in the near future.

I'd not bother with the hardness tester. WW alloy or approximate there of; will do well for you.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/44NEWLINEUP.jpg

I think the 429421 is a very good suggestion.
I also like the RCBS 44 245 SWC.

Blammer
01-02-2009, 04:46 PM
definitely look at the size of your barrel and cylinders. The sizing could be a major reason for the leading.

fatnhappy
01-02-2009, 05:16 PM
If you're having leading issues, by all means a gas check might be the appropriate solution. I would (and did with my .41) treat the gas check as a last resort though.
Usually air cooled WW is sufficiently hard for the .44 mag. I would take a look at sizing and your lube right off the bat. Have you slugged your barrel and cylinders? What lube are you using?

the_ursus
01-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Here's one I slugged that was sized at .430 both pics are of the same slug showing both sides.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v674/alaskan_waters/random%20stuff/?action=view&current=PC030001.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v674/alaskan_waters/random%20stuff/?action=view&current=PC030002.jpg

I do have WW's but most of my lead is random. Any suggestions on how to compare unknown lead to WW's? I could also use a lube recommendation since what I have is not labeled and is in desperately short supply. I live in AK and like to shoot outside in the winter (20's-30's) and hunt in the spring and fall (30's-60's).

medicstimpy
01-03-2009, 01:22 AM
I would stick with a plain base boolit. .44Mag works great without a gas check. I use the RCBS 44-245-SWC. Mainly because I got it used and it was almost new condition. Secondly because GC's aren't cheap any more. No leading so far but that might be from the Red Carnuba lube, too.

Shot out of a 7.5" Redhawk with both light Titegroup and Big BUBBA H110 loads.

I suppose you can still use a GC boolit without the GC. I do in my .357 loads but don't have one to try in .44M.

NSP64
01-03-2009, 01:31 AM
I use my Lee 310 boolits with out GC's, over 16gr 4227 for 1100fps no leading.

the_ursus
01-03-2009, 05:50 AM
Ok, I get the picture. I just need to do more homework with the plain base mold that I already have. If I can just figure out how to monitor the consistency of my mixed boxes of lead.

That fact that H110 loads are possible really gets me excited. Every jacketed bullet I've shot through my SRH has been with H110 (24grains/240JHP and 21grains/300JHP) I do love to feel that revolver whip!! I still have some lighter powders for plinking though.

Tom Herman
01-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Based on those 2 statements alone, I believe you might be better served picking out a lyman 429421 instead. Gas checks aren't cheap anymore, and unless you need them for a specific reason, really aren't needed for a .44 mag pistol. YMMV.

The 429421 is the only .44 caliber mold that I have. It's a four cavity affair, and casts really well! Of all my molds, it's my favorite. The bullets seem to cast effortlessly, I can run the mold for a long time when I alternate with other molds, and again, it drops four bullets every time I cast!
I use 50/50 scrap lead to wheel weights plus 2% Tin for flowability, and lube with my homemade SPG. Works great in the .44 SPL with 6.5 grains Unique!
Although probabaly not a bear load, it's cheap and a lot of fun to shoot.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom