PDA

View Full Version : i stove up my boolit trap

mainiac
01-02-2009, 12:36 AM
A few years ago i made a boolit trap similar to the one i see lloyd smale (sorry,dont think i spelled it right), ive fired thousands of boolits threw it since. One of the baffles i welded inside of it broke out,but i never bothered to fix it. Ive been shooting the 32 special lately, and the rcbs boolits have ripped holes threw the back of the 4 inch 90 degree down spout. Dont know why the rcbs35-200 never bothered it, but i had to weld the holes back shut, and weld the baffle back in.Am shooting max loads in the .32, but they cant be over 22-2300 f.p.s. Even high speed jacketed .22,s would go around the elbow,but this old 32 causes damage.

Dale53
01-02-2009, 12:44 AM
Metal penetration is largely the product of velocity. Sometimes, just a couple of hundred fps will cause total penetration.

Dale53

Bret4207
01-02-2009, 07:58 AM
AHA!!!! PROOF the 32 Special is the giant killer among the clan!!!:lol:

Lloyd Smale
01-02-2009, 08:54 AM
thats strange mine held up to ball 223 and even ball 308 but the 308 dented enough to make it look like they were about to poke through.

44man
01-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Bullet pounding is amazing. Years ago a friend cut me out a ram from diamond plate and just hitting it with my .44 at 200 meters would turn it into a salad bowl. I would throw it on the ground and wale at it with a big sledge but could never start to get it flat. I had to turn it around and shoot the other side and it wasn't long before it was bowl shaped the other direction.
My 45*, 1/2" plates at 50 yd's are bolted down with aircraft stainless bolts and many are sheared. That thing is very heavy and boolits skid the back of it down into the ground.
I have to wonder if we can build anything that will hold up!

Boerrancher
01-02-2009, 09:30 AM
I have a 1/2 inch piece of plate that is cut in the shape of a human silhouette that is 10 inches wide and about 14 inches tall. I have been shooting at this thing for over 20 years, mostly pistol rounds. It has one hole in it from when I had it on my 100 yd backstop and shot it with a 180 gr out of my 300 Win Mag. The heaviest rifles I have shot at it after that have been my 30-30 and 45-70 with cast boolits. Either one of those two rifles make it clang when I hit it. I have noticed that some of my 30-30 loads are putting dimples in it. I find it amazing at what some of those old rifles with actually do.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

mainiac
01-02-2009, 09:40 AM
I have a swinger that i made out of ar plate. This same demon 32 pounded dished holes 50-69% threw.Only fired 2 shots,and figured i better stop,or i would be welding again!

leftiye
01-02-2009, 01:59 PM
There is another thread where someone mentions a special grade of hardened steel (like what is used on earth moving equipment IIRC). I believe that hardened and thick, AND designed to deflect bu/oolits in a circle until they slow down, are the tickets in making a boolit trap.

mainiac
01-02-2009, 07:56 PM
My trap works ok, but the lead is a fine dust,instead of chunks. I tried different baffles inside,to direct the boolit, and once had a set-up that made kam-a-kazi ricochets!!!! Didnt take me long to re engineer that mess!

montana_charlie
01-03-2009, 12:04 PM
I have a gong hanging that has only been hit about a hundred times. It is a disc from a big sod-breaking plow, and those are hardened to make them last while cutting through (not threw) soil, rocks, tree stumps and buffalo bones.

I notice the 'hardface' is starting to peel up in one spot near one edge of the disc from being smacked at 300 yards by those slow-movin' 550 grainers...
CM

1Shirt
01-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Have played a bit with things that are metal and you shoot at, but had no great luck overall until we got some of the plates that hold rails to railroad ties. They even have holes in them that you can put bolt and chain together with. Don't know what the metal is, but it stands up pretty well for anything cast, and any of the jacketed up to 06 level at least. Haven't tried any thing beyont the 06 level. They hang well, and make a decent target at 100 and will swing a bit with heavy loads and there is enough clink when hit with lite loads to know that you hit.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Southern Son
01-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Leftiye, the club I used to shoot BPCR with had a few targets cut out of a steal they called bisalloy (Not sure on the spelling). They were hit with everything, including 5.56NATO, .303 and 7.62NATO ex-mil ammo that other people bought on the range when we were not there (they left behind a heap of their fired brass for us to clean up) and the worste they got was a dimple. We had some other targets made out of 10mm Mild Steel plate and almost anything jacketed would pass through them.

Frank46
01-04-2009, 03:00 AM
May not be right but I think they called the item you speak about "tie plates". Had a buddy make up a small anvil out of rail road rail. Said that was the toughest stuff he ever worked with. Frank

shotman
01-04-2009, 03:28 AM
RR rail is about as hard as it gets. Took 6 shots at 50 yds to shoot through with 30-06 AP rounds. If tie plates are the same material should last from now on

Tom W.
01-04-2009, 12:28 PM
I took two old 90 plate round saws once and welded them together, welded some washers to tie some wires to and hung it @100 yards at my buddy's range. I was going to shoot it with a 7mm Rem Mag that I was looking to buy. I fired 3 shots, expecting to hear a "clang" and see the thing react. It didn't. Just punched holes clean through it.

It did a bit better with some light loads from my .45 Colt Black Hawk and 230 grain boolits...