PDA

View Full Version : Questions from France

fusil
01-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi guys,
Another few question you might find ridiculous. :groner:

1. Can you use Lee Liquid Alox on NON ‘Micro Band’ bullets?
I’ve read the stuff in the Lee catalogue about ‘Micro Band’ moulds and I’m still not sure. I don’t see why not but I’m new to this so any advice please.

2. Is it a good idea to start with a Lee 6 cavity mould or is that a bit ambitions.

3. Lee Pro 4-20 or Production Pot IV? There’s only €15 ($10) difference in the price, but is one better than the other?

4. I had a conversation with one of the guys at the range, it wasn’t easy as he speaks no English and my French is not excellent. I think he said he uses the same SWC cast boolit for his S&W 38spl as for his Taurus 9mm, without sizing! Is this SAFE?

I know some fella’s might recommend other brands but here in France Lee is a quarter of the price of others.

And on finishing….I have just roughly calculated what my ingot collection is.
After several weekends of smelting between DIY, I reckon on about 140kg/315Lbs of WW ingots and 55kg/124Lbs of pure ingots. I’ve just gotta start making boolits now. [smilie=w:

As always many thanks from this side of the pond.
fusil

opentop
01-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi Fusil, and welcome.

1. Yes, you can use Alox on non micro groove bullets.

2. You will have a learing curve with any mold you start with. So starting with a 6 cavity mold should be no problem. I would recomend pre heating to mold before casting. Then start with only one or two cavitys and work your way up as the mold comes up to temp.

3. Get the Lee Pro 4-20, its a better pot.

4. The 38 is .002 biger than a 9mm and is possible.

Nothing wrong with the Lee stuff. It's a lot cheaper than most brands, but is excellent for getting started. I use a lot of Lee stuff my self.

Sounds like you have a good stash of lead, now buy that 6 cavity mold and get to work!

billyb
01-01-2009, 10:21 AM
I don't use lee alox, have in the past, did not like the process. I have read here that a lot of the casters on this board use the alox on non TL boolits. When i used it I had good sucess with it. I use two of the Lee Pro's, I like them,made a lot of boolits with them. Starting with a 6 cavity, pre heat the mold and get your alloy up to temp, I get good boolits @750*. I have a 125 grain swc mold that workes in my 9mm,&38's. I size the 9's 356,&38's 358. Bill

missionary5155
01-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Good morning Fusil and WELCOME ! Happy New Year !
I use LLA on all my under mag level 357 and most 38 Special loads. It is EASY to apply to ANY boolit. I have a 6x6 plastic tub type container. Add one doober (about finger nail size blob) of LLA and 50 or so boolits and swirl them about until all looks about even. Dump on wax paper over night. Load and fire !
I have used my own Lee products 30+ years... Will buy some more this next trip up North to Illinois. I have dies.. molds... scale .. cheap press down here. Lee works ! I have other stuff also but Lee is OK for my needs. I have Orange, Blue, Red, Green products also.
Bore/ groove is the determining factor on what diameter boolit to use. A 9mm is basicly .356 But if a .358 shoots well... shoot it. Just watch for pressure signs. I shoot some .360 boolits in my 357 mag revolvers... Just slug the bore and that will help lead the way to accuracy.
While you are there visit Verdun... Neat museum !
God Bless you !

fusil
01-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Sorry guy's....forgot my manners...:oops:
BONNE ANNEE et BON SANTE
Happy new year and Good health
fusil

Echo
01-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Manners? On THIS Board? Manners on this board is defined as No Flames! Otherwise...

Welcome aboard, Fusil, & Feliz Navidad - wait, that was last week.

Dave B
01-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Fusil, Howdy from Texas. I use Lee Liquid Alox on all kinds of bullets. I thin it about 30-40% with mineral spirits and swirl them with a few drops of lube in a plastic butter bowl. I let them dry over night and then I then run them thru a Lee push thru sizer and lube them again. Then I let them dry a day or two before I load them. A little lube goes a long way, they don"t need to be all gunked up. As long as they have a little on all surfaces, they are OK. Using the same bullet in a 9mm and a 38-357 is a bit of a stretch , as the 9mm is lighter and usually a couple of thou. inch smaller diameter than the 38. I use .356 in 9mm and .358 in 38-357. You will be happier with 2 molds. Get the 6 cavity ones. Happy New Year.

yodar
01-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi Fusil, and welcome.

1. Yes, you can use Alox on non micro groove bullets.

2. You will have a learing curve with any mold you start with. So starting with a 6 cavity mold should be no problem. I would recomend pre heating to mold before casting. Then start with only one or two cavitys and work your way up as the mold comes up to temp.

3. Get the Lee Pro 4-20, its a better pot.

4. The 38 is .002 biger than a 9mm and is possible.

Nothing wrong with the Lee stuff. It's a lot cheaper than most brands, but is excellent for getting started. I use a lot of Lee stuff my self.

Sounds like you have a good stash of lead, now buy that 6 cavity mold and get to work!
----------------------
I used LLA on ordinary bullet by pouring the LLA in a coke bottle cap and dipping them to the top of the lube groove, , letting the bullet dry a day, and re-dipping.

P.I.A.!

I got a Lyman lubersizer and made my own lube from a German professional bullet maker: 1 lb lithium auto grease 1 lb beeswax (Adrian's Goo)

yodar

Cloudpeak
01-01-2009, 09:58 PM
fusil,

I use LLA on both TL and non-TL design bullets and it works well.

The Lee 6 cavity mold is a great place to start. Preheat the mold on a little hot plate and get your 4-20 up to temp so you don't get "spout freeze". IOW, if your pot is a bit too cool, you'll have trouble getting the lead to flow at first. I set the dial to "8" and let it heat awhile and this helps quite a bit. Oh, besides using the single burner hot plate to pre-heat your mold, you can pre-melt lead for your bottom pour, as well, and that really speeds things up.

It wasn't clear from your post whether you're loading for 9mm and/or 38.

I've had great luck with the Lee 105 gr. SWC bullet. This is in the 38 section of the Lee catalog and is .358 and I size them with the Lee .357 push through sizer and have shot thousands of them through several 9mm semi-autos. They've been very accurate in three different 9mm's.

If you shoot this in a .38, you'll need adjustable sights, I think, as they shot low in my Ruger SP101. One great thing about the 105 gr. bullet is your lead supply will last a lot longer:wink:

I like to run all my bullets out a Lee mold through a sizer. Every once-in-awhile, I'll find a "fat one".

Cloudpeak