PDA

View Full Version : New Mauser Project

StrawHat
01-01-2009, 08:43 AM
This came to me over the holidays.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/IMGP1502.jpg

45-70, 26" barrel.

The conversion work was done by ER Shaw in the 70s. The stock is a Fajen, French Walnut?

I need to clean of the bench and find time to get it together.

Also need to get sights, recoil pad and maybe an ebony foreend tip.

It will be used as a cast boolit rifle even though I know they can do more.

close up

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/SiameseMauser001-1.jpg

Johnw...ski
01-01-2009, 09:46 AM
I love a good project and that looks like it will be a beaut.
Best of luck with it, you'll end up with something to be proud of.

John

Junior1942
01-01-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm jealous. . . . . :mrgreen:

deltaenterprizes
01-01-2009, 12:04 PM
What type of Mauser action is that? I have that the Siamese Mausers were used to convert to 45-70.

madcaster
01-01-2009, 01:06 PM
I REALLY like that!

madcaster
01-01-2009, 01:06 PM
A lot!

No_1
01-01-2009, 01:45 PM
That is a Siamese action. I have 2 such Mauser's that have been expertly converted. One that was converted to 30-40 Krag and 1 that was converted to 45-70. The 30-40 was said by the previous owner to have been converted back in the 60's and is quite utilitarian in looks. The 45-70 was said (by it's previous owner) to have been converted in Europe and is very fancy in looks. I will post pictures as soon as I get a chance.

Robert

HeavyMetal
01-01-2009, 02:08 PM
This will make a great gun!

One more time I am reminded that some of the greatest designs in the world were only built for right handed people!

I couldn't tell if this was drilled and tapped for a scope or not. If it is be careful! These guns are strong enough to get into 458 win mag power levels!

That kind of power and a scope with the wrong eye relief...well you might have to change your name to "Patch".

Post a pic when your done?

JudgeBAC
01-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Drool!!!!!!

StrawHat
01-02-2009, 06:34 AM
This will make a great gun!

I couldn't tell if this was drilled and tapped for a scope or not. If it is be careful! These guns are strong enough to get into 458 win mag power levels!

That kind of power and a scope with the wrong eye relief...well you might have to change your name to "Patch".

Post a pic when your done?

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

This will be my second Siamese Mauser so I am aware of some of the problems pertaining to them.

While it was drilled and tapped for a scope, I doubt one will ever be installed. Not my cup of tea. I much prefer my sights to be more along the lines of the Redfield or Lyman style of aperture sight. I may use the NEGC peep sight but for similar $$ I will probably get the Lyman. (Or perhaps a proper three leaf express sight!)

I well remember loading my first one to levels undreamed of by many and having brass last one or two firings. Those days are over thankfully and I still have all the parts I was born with. Ever since I watched as a shooting buddy loaded a Siamese bomb into one of my trapdoors I have NEVER loaded to more than the weakest action I own will tolerate. I was able to stop him from pulling the trigger on that load but I don't like the idea of what may have happened.

I still own a few trapdoors and rolling blocks so this rifle, when complete, will not see more than trapdoor level loads as long as I own it. Besides, the original ballistics are what made the 45-70 good enough to last 135 years. Not bad. Not saying it will see a diet of black powder, just those level of loads.

I need to slug the bore and measure the twist but I am hoping for a good cast bullet barrel.

The loads pictured are the first ones I could grab for the photo. They are for a 45-70 double rifle I own and are 330 grains of HP bullet. I have exactly 18 of them left over from when I loaded the first 40 cases. 20 went to sight in, 4 shots, 16 were fired "playing Bwana" and the other two dropped deer. (No, not a right and a left.) I hope to be able to work up a load using the Gould bullet for that rifle.

I will continue to update but realistically, this is not going to happen for a few years. Too many other projects in front of it.

Keep your ideas coming, please. The available extras have changed since I last assembled and stocked a bolt rifle.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

eka
01-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Man, Strawhat, that does look like a fun project. I really like the grain in that stock. I say she'll take a really nice finish. Don't you just love a good project gun. You know, I bought that .375 Mauser a while back from my local gunshop. After buying it I decided to rechamber and do some other things with it. I went back by the shop and the owner asked me how I liked the rifle. I told him it didn't work out the way it was and then filled him in on my plans for it. He couldn't understand why I was excited about having to do work to the gun instead of raising cane with him about it. I tried to explain to him that these rifles are much more interesting than the ones you take out one time and it shoots one hole groups with no tinkering. Enjoy the process.

Keith

looseprojectile
01-05-2009, 01:36 PM
I bought one of these at a funshow. It must be a 45 70 right?

Turns out it is chambered in .450 Alaskan. Made from reformed .348 cases.
It was not finished, more like a kit. I have been working on it in spurts and have fireformed some brass in it and seems to be coming along. Previous owner did all the difficult machining and fitting.
This is a BIG gun. Twentysix inch barrel.
I have installed a Redfield peep and a ramp front, and the ramp I used is too high, shoots way low. Need to pay attention.
Been working on it on the cheap and have got all the issues sorted out, just don't have the ambition to work on it or a need for a gun like this. Wish it had been in 45 70.

Awesome, did I say BIG rifle.

Life is good

No_1
01-05-2009, 02:51 PM
450 Alaskan.... That would be a nice one to add to my Siamese collection. For the next one, I have on hand dies and a chamber reamer to make a 25 Krag AI so all I need is a rifle. I keep looking for a semi-finished / owner gave up project but have not seen any lately. 303 British would be another good one. I am sure I can come up with a few more rimmed cartridge ideas for them. There is something about the Siamese chambered in a rimmed cartridge that I like. Too bad they are so hard to find. Took 10 years to get the ones I have now. Sure hope it does not take that long to get more.

Robert

I bought one of these at a funshow. It must be a 45 70 right?

Turns out it is chambered in .450 Alaskan. Made from reformed .348 cases.
It was not finished, more like a kit. I have been working on it in spurts and have fireformed some brass in it and seems to be coming along. Previous owner did all the difficult machining and fitting.
This is a BIG gun. Twentysix inch barrel.
I have installed a Redfield peep and a ramp front, and the ramp I used is too high, shoots way low. Need to pay attention.
Been working on it on the cheap and have got all the issues sorted out, just don't have the ambition to work on it or a need for a gun like this. Wish it had been in 45 70.

Awesome, did I say BIG rifle.

Life is good

Larry Gibson
01-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Straw Hat

Good looking potential for a very nice rifle. I have one I put together in the mid '70s. I call it a 450-400-70 as ballistics are far and above even some of the level III loads (for Ruger #1s). I also have trapdoors so I feel your pain. I don't load any cast bullets above TD levels unless they are for testing and will be shot right away. The 450-400-70 loads are mostly with J bullets and are loaded in FC cases which are only used in that rifle. I use WW and R-Ps in the TDs. I've done some pressure testing with mine using a M43 Oehler and will do more when the weather breaks. They are a "kick" to shoot! (pun intended) Mine weighs in at 8 1/2 lbs which is pretty light when I push a Barnes O 400 gr SP at 2300 fps. Make you wonder where that Joe Foreman right cross came from! Let me know when you want to trade notes on loads.

Larry Gibson

Hardcast416taylor
01-05-2009, 03:22 PM
STOP IT! STOP IT!!! You guys are awakening my Mr. Hyde that likes making project rifles! I just finished making 2 `17 Enfields in .338-06 he commanded me to do. Although I must say, DROOL, all the above pics and projected project start parts look good DROOL!!!:drinks: Robert

frank505
01-05-2009, 08:31 PM
I was given aSiamese in 45/70, rechambered to 450 Alaskan as quick as I could since I shoot a trapdoor quite a bit. It is a rimmed 458 with 510 gas checks and shoots the same load as my M71-450 AK which is a 400 gas check at 2100 just as accurately as the lever gun. I seat the 510's out and they will not work in the lever gun so even I cant mix up the ammo.
The Siamese will take loads that will make a merlin unzip.

No_1
01-05-2009, 09:04 PM
These are pics of the ones I was talking about earlier. The top one (parkerized) is the 30-40 Krag that I bought with the intentions of making it a 45-70 but kept is as it was once I really checked it out. The lower one was I gift from my dad and is a 45-70. I would love to see what other members have. Larry, yours looks very nice indeed!

Robert

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/no_one_photos/SIAMESE%20MAUSERS/DSC01129.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/no_one_photos/SIAMESE%20MAUSERS/DSC01130.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/no_one_photos/SIAMESE%20MAUSERS/DSC01131.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/no_one_photos/SIAMESE%20MAUSERS/DSC01132.jpg

mroliver77
01-07-2009, 03:15 AM
I am working on a deal for a Remington US Model 1917 that somebody (Bubba) started to ........ well they tried to?????? I mean :(.
The action has been de'eared(uneared?) and the stripper clip guide ground out. Most small parts have gone missing. The stock has the most gorgeous burl running through the butt section and it is almost mirror image. Very little nicks, bumps or scrapes in it. What a nice piece of wood. What a shame it was shortened! Barrel is very nice with a 9-18 date.
I am toying with the Idea of using a P-14 bolt, selling the barrel to somebody that needs it an rebarreling to a more usefull, large, rimmed and obsolete caliber. I have a Remington Rolling block in .45/70 built on the 1902 action. Getting ammo mixed up would be a concern. I think whats left of the stock could be made into a nice sporter along the lines of a 1903 type NRA sporter with all the metal parts parkerised. That park looks very good on No!'s rifle and I think Larry's is parked also? I seen a gun that was polished and then black parked recently. I gotta have!!
J

Willbird
01-07-2009, 06:57 PM
I am working on a deal for a Remington US Model 1917 that somebody (Bubba) started to ........ well they tried to?????? I mean :(.
The action has been de'eared(uneared?) and the stripper clip guide ground out. Most small parts have gone missing. The stock has the most gorgeous burl running through the butt section and it is almost mirror image. Very little nicks, bumps or scrapes in it. What a nice piece of wood. What a shame it was shortened! Barrel is very nice with a 9-18 date.
I am toying with the Idea of using a P-14 bolt, selling the barrel to somebody that needs it an rebarreling to a more usefull, large, rimmed and obsolete caliber. I have a Remington Rolling block in .45/70 built on the 1902 action. Getting ammo mixed up would be a concern. I think whats left of the stock could be made into a nice sporter along the lines of a 1903 type NRA sporter with all the metal parts parkerised. That park looks very good on No!'s rifle and I think Larry's is parked also? I seen a gun that was polished and then black parked recently. I gotta have!!
J

I have a P14 kicking around in 303 that Dad de eared and put a receiver sight on, darn shame in a lot of ways, it would have been better with the ears. I saw an article in Precision shooting where they put a 1919 MG sight on a P17(down between the ears) to duplicate a gun that was written of in a fictional book, all things considered the end result was a decent looking deal. The 450 Alaskan Siamese sounds interesting, if the 450 will fit what about the 50 ?

Bill