PDA

View Full Version : moon shine

shotman
01-01-2009, 02:51 AM
we need a new cooking thing for the new year how many make the clear stuff? rick

Thumbcocker
01-01-2009, 01:34 PM
One of the "Foxfire" books walks through the process with pictures.

waksupi
01-01-2009, 01:45 PM
If I were making a Federally controlled substance, the making of which can result in the confiscation of all of ones' property, freedom, and fines, I do not believe it would be advisable to post such on a public forum.

leadeye
01-01-2009, 02:26 PM
I'll stick to wine making, sounds easier and less dangereous than shine cooking.:drinks:

felix
01-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Distilling for ethyl alcohol, and only ethyl alcohol, requires professional equipment, and would far offset any cost savings by doing so. Forget it! ... felix

Gussy
01-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Distilling for ethyl alcohol, and only ethyl alcohol, requires professional equipment, and would far offset any cost savings by doing so. Forget it! ... felix

Aaaahhhhhh, NOT SO!!!! There IS an alternative SAFE method that I developed while in VN where "goods" were scarce. All done in stainless steel and with out fire, heat/stink, or any dangerous/poisonous problems!!!!

Did I ever tell you that I have a degree in Food Science??? I don't remember much of those 4 years (class room stuff) but there were some things I DID learn and remembered!!!!!!!!!!!!

JesterGrin_1
01-01-2009, 03:43 PM
There is nothing wrong with producing this for your own consumption.

felix
01-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Well, Gussy, you were lucky in getting the temperature on the button, and getting a mash without having any junk in that extremely fine temperature range for c2h3oh vapour. ... felix

JDFuchs
01-01-2009, 03:51 PM
You would need a license for distillation on almost any scale, which is what would need to happen to avoid the rather poisonous methyl alcohol (if you plan on starting with an undistilled product like wine). It's much easier to stick with wine, mead, and beer, which are perfectly legal for anyone to make.

That said, I've heard of contraptions involving pressure-cookers with tubing hooked up to the release valve...

felix
01-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Not only methyl, but the higher ones also, some of which are actually greases. ... felix

waksupi
01-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Wrong, Jester. If you are going to distill any amount, you must have a license from the BATF. When you are licensed, you are open to a 24/7/365 inspection, and must have a placard at the entrance to the property, that you are making alcohol. The alcohol you make must be denatured as it is being made, or have a special occupational license to manufacture for sale.
There is no legal amount you can make, without meeting those guidelines. Violation means forfiture of the property on which the alcohol is being made, along with jail and fines. Most old time moonshiners were smart enough to not make the stuff on private property, and generally would have underage kids running the still, as the penalties are much less for them.
If you should chose to make shine, do not store the cap arm on your property. Always have the boiler and coil separated. If the cap arm is not present, it is not considered a still, and no prosecution can effectively be made.

kodiak1
01-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Wow I gues Dad and Grandpa and Great Grandpa was breakin some rules.

I thought that stuff is why they lived to be such ripe old ages.

LMAO..............Ken

Gussy
01-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Felix, no vapor. Hint......alcohol does not freeze. No still was used or harmed in the process.

Junior1942
01-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Here's the FAQ on alcohol at the atf web site:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/genalcohol.htm#g1

As expected, there's a huge government agency guarding us against ourselves and forcing us to comply with someone else's morals. Check out the hoops to be jumped through if a student wants to distill alcohol as a science project.

Can you say, "The ATF is a waste of money"?

felix
01-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Gussy, the typical trick would "still" be getting the liquid that does not freeze pure enough.

Ken, your family was/is blessed with good and stable livers.

... felix

Gussy
01-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Gussy, the typical trick would "still" be getting the liquid that does not freeze pure enough.
... felix

The word is centrifuge. Very low tech type is a screen in a bucket swung around as fast as you can. Refreeze, repeat until happy or as needed. It ain't perfect but........

I had a lot of time in VN.

shotman
01-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Well i knew on this site it would die. Went 200 posts on trap shooter You can make all you want if your car drinks it . Mine does so it can get me home. gussy is right it can be done by freezing.lot stronger

felix
01-01-2009, 11:14 PM
If you are looking for the pure stuff, Shotman, pure stuff is no stronger or weaker than the pure stuff. Every lot is the same and is independent of the manufacturing techniques that deliver 100 percent stuff (only possible in a zero humidity environment). That is my argument: good stuff requires professional apparatus, which makes and separates out garbage (except for pure water, of couse, which typically is around 5 percent). ... felix

10-x
01-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Google Franklin Co. VA., "The Moonshine Capital of The US". There are stills everywhere!:drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks::drinks ::drinks::drinks:

felix
01-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Yeah, that explains the politics of the area, especially a little north and east. ... felix

longbow
01-02-2009, 01:35 AM
Most all questions answered here:

http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/HomedistillerMirror/Org/

or here:

http://www.moonshine-still.com/

for entertainment and educational purposes only.

Red River Rick
01-02-2009, 01:46 AM
For all your yeasts and other supplies: https://secure.brewhaus.ca/index.aspx?page=home

For drinking, enjoy.

RRR

Gussy
01-02-2009, 02:00 AM
Want more "food" trivia??

Esters in food contain the smell. The industries that make jam and jelly (and others) use very high quality stills durring the cooking process to remove the alcohol. This is one of the very first things cooked off. After processing, they are added back to improve the quality. This is an EXTREMELY regulated process as in if one gallon is made, there better have been one gallon added back. No taste testing!! Actually, if you did a taste test you would regret it. It is extremely concentrated and you would taste and smell what ever was processed for a long time!!

Vanilla extract is also made with a still and uses alcohol as a base. Extreme regulation and record keeping.

The point of all this.... what you make your "stuff" out of comes out in the first cook as flavor. It's one of the first things release by heat (if heat is used).

Gus

More worthless trivia....perfume is made the same way. The "stink" is distilled off and added back to a carrier.

Thin Man
01-02-2009, 01:08 PM
It must be a regional tradition. One of the network news channels was reporting about the discovery of a still in North Carolina this past week. They also commented that the still operator had been charged with operating a still two times in the past 13 months. At last accounts the "revenoors" were trying to identify the operator's customers. The video footage was a story all by itself. The operator was using wooden barrels and crude piping for his processing. All this makes one feel less than confident in the quality of his product....

shotman
01-03-2009, 01:27 AM
well we havent heard from jeffinNZ. He can make it and send samples for reloading the body.

Jim
01-03-2009, 06:43 AM
I'll stick with my Jameson's and Black Jack and won't worry about a license, investing in a bunch of equipment and having "visitors" at their leisure. Besides, when I break the seal on a bottle of Black Jack, I KNOW what it's gonna taste like.

shotman
01-03-2009, 06:19 PM
ok this one is history you old farts need to get a good life will start a new one