PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a new RCBS mould

Down South
01-01-2009, 12:10 AM
I’ve got a new RCBS mould that’s giving me a problem. This is the mould that I ordered Monday after another thread I started. This is a 44-225 GC mould. The mould halves don’t match up causing an offset in the boolit where the mould halves mate together. I can understand a mil or so off, but the unsized boolits are measuring .4335” right at one mating half and .427” at the other mating half if you understand what I’m trying to say. I’ve included a couple of pictures, or at least I’m trying to. I’m sizing to .430” and I don’t know yet how these boolits will shoot.
I'm casting at 750 degrees and my alloy is WW +2% tin.

A couple questions. Would Leementing help solve this problem or should I contact RCBS about it?

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t95/iamdudley_2007/th_SS850523.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t95/iamdudley_2007/?action=view&current=SS850523.jpg)http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t95/iamdudley_2007/th_SS850526.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t95/iamdudley_2007/?action=view&current=SS850526.jpg)

Calamity Jake
01-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Send it back to RCBS with samples ASAP, they will replace it.

Red River Rick
01-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Get ahold of RCBS, there is something seriously wrong with the alignment.

RRR

opentop
01-01-2009, 12:21 AM
yeap, I agree, send it back with samples. I've never had a problem with RCBS replacing anything.

beagle
01-01-2009, 12:27 AM
I have an old Lyman .45 mould like that that someone gave me. A real ***. I kind of keep it on the bench to remind me what Lyman has come too as far as quality.

Send the RCBS back. They'll make it good./beagle

Newtire
01-01-2009, 01:11 AM
I had a problem like that once with one of the group buy 6-cavity Lee moulds and it just turned out to be the handles not fitting and causing the mould not to close right. Just a thought & maybe something to check out.

HeavyMetal
01-01-2009, 01:47 AM
Something is wrong that's for sure!

Just not sure it's the mold!

I'll second Newtire and suggest you take the mold, on the handles, and examine them under strong bright light with a magnifiy glass.

Your looking for light between the mold blocks, your looking to make sure the mold is on the handles the right way, if your holding the handles in your left hand the "knocker" on the sprue plate needs to be pointing to your right hand.

Make sure the mold opens and closes smoothly with no sticking and make sure no light shows through when you open the spre plate and look down in the mold. You should not have to "strangle" the mold just a good firm grip.

If, after a close inspection (cold), the mold still makes boolits as in the photo send that thing back it's cut wrong!

I always figure it pays to know what your talking about when you return something, so make sure you check everything first and then go ahead on with confidence!

Down South
01-01-2009, 01:49 AM
I had a problem like that once with one of the group buy 6-cavity Lee moulds and it just turned out to be the handles not fitting and causing the mould not to close right. Just a thought & maybe something to check out.

I bought new handles too. No, the handles fit well and the mould closes tight. I have the same problem with a Lee 6-banger but not quite as bad. But I expect a problem or two with Lee Moulds. I'll get in touch with RCBS when they open back up.

DLCTEX
01-01-2009, 03:27 AM
Check that casting temp, I believe you have a typo there, or maybe you're using Cerrosafe.

rhead
01-01-2009, 07:17 AM
.4335 on one side and .427 on the other? Sounds like a 44 mag mold half mated to a 44-40 mold half. Is one side less in dia.? or is it off set? I have a lymon 429-421 that is almost a tenth longer on one side while it has a perfect base. It shoot fine out to 125 yards and then the groups start to grow. I doubt that yours would give a good seal. My experience has been that they all make the occasional error not just Lee.

2muchstuf
01-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Did you check your alignment pins?
With the mold out of the handles, do the two halves twist and slip on each other?
Could be that the pins just need to be a little longer.

woody1
01-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Here's a hint that has worked for me in the past. Go thru RCBS Tech not customer service. Send them an e-mail outlining what you have, what you have done, and your problem. They may have an idea what you are doing wrong (if anything). Most likely they will just tell you to send it back and will send you a new one. I've never gone thru Customer Service but have always used the tech support group. e-mail rcbs tech rcbs.tech@atk.com.
HTH, Regards, Woody

Down South
01-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Check that casting temp, I believe you have a typo there, or maybe you're using Cerrosafe.Yes, that’s a typo. It should say 750 degrees. Too much beer bringing in the New Year causes typos.

Down South
01-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Did you check your alignment pins?
With the mold out of the handles, do the two halves twist and slip on each other?
Could be that the pins just need to be a little longer.

Ok, I’ve been fiddling with the mould. It did have some slope in it while closed. It was hard to notice but I could detect a slight movement in the blocks while it was closed. I took a pin punch the exact same size as the pins and drove them out around .020” or so each. After I did this I couldn’t detect any slop in the mould while it was closed. I fired the pot back up, heated up the mould and started casting. The boolits are coming out much better, not perfect but much better. Now I’m getting .429” on one side and .4315” on the other. These were the max measurements on about 30 or so keepers. Some of the measurements were within .001” from side to side. These measurements are probably in tolerance, I don’t know. I don’t know what RCBS holds their tolerance measurements at.

What do guys think? Is this good enough?

Wayne Smith
01-01-2009, 04:29 PM
"Good enough" is highly variable. Shoot 'em and see!