PDA

View Full Version : INDY 1500 gun show

218bee
12-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Wondering if any of you have gone to this gun show in Indianapolis. Supposed to be the "biggest gun show east of the Mississippi". There is one next weekend Jan 9, 10 and 11. Its about a 5 hour drive for me and was wondering if its worth it.

kenjuudo
12-31-2008, 11:20 PM
No way would it be worth a five hour drive. Usually the same old same old. Good deals are the exception. I'm less than an hour away and probably won't go.

jim

mike in co
01-01-2009, 05:24 AM
yes but your "same old stuff" might be just what he is looking for.
i scoured my gun show for the last two shows looking for 300 savage dies. the guy at the table behind mine says" did you say you were looking for 300 sav dies ?"........he had a set not four feet from me, but they were in a dillon blue box, and i had missed them two shows in a row!....yep same ol' stuff.

mike in co

Pitmaster
01-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Its a large show with a lot of stuff. A great place to browse and enjoy yourself. Its a good 2.5 hour drive one way for me. I make it down once or twice a year. I don't look at the show as a buying or shopping spree. I consider it entertainment. I went to one of the worst shows around locally and found a great deal on Marlin 45-70G. Surprised the heck out of me. You never know what you are going to find.

Grab a meal at Shapiro's Deli. Best pastrami in the Midwest with the possible exception of Manny's Deli in Chicago.

missionary5155
01-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Good morning and Happy New Year...
when up north there we live in Danville, Illinois. I go to the Indy Show if at all possible simple because there is always NEW stuff about. Plus there are several parts suppliers that will have or know who has what I am looking for... and I sometimes am looking for some interesting objects. So for me it is about a calm 2 hour drive ... I get a couple shooters to ride along... we split gas and parking.. and have a fun day ! And there are always some GREAT deals waiting to be found.
Louisville KY gun show is about the same so I would be hard pressed t say INDY is Bigger.... Maybe more actual available floor space.
God Bless you this New Year!

218bee
01-01-2009, 10:51 AM
I also heard the Louisville show was a good one. Just looking for a place to browse and see what comes up.

leadeye
01-01-2009, 11:43 AM
The 1500 show is less than an hours drive for me so I usually go just to look around. You find the occasional good deal.

Kraschenbirn
01-01-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm also about two hours away and, as said by others, have found the Indy show to be a good place to browse and, occasionally, pick up the odd part or tool. So far as finding any kind of "deal," though...forget it! I can find better prices/trades on used guns...and 'specially milsurps...at local shops or smaller shows around my area. With the exception of one guy (usually at an end table just inside the entry) who has just about Lee's entire catalog on hand and two or three sellers of new/used brass not much in the way of reloading or casting, either.

At last fall's Indy show (just before the election), I saw a couple dealers asking higher than MSRP for new, current production, Marlin leverguns and a quite a few re-arsenaled M-Ns (available for under $100 through a shop about 5 miles from where I'm sitting) tagged at $179-$250.

If the wife wasn't scheduled for (minor) surgery on the 9th, would still probably drive over that way for the day just to see what's on the other side of the fence.

Bill

waksupi
01-01-2009, 02:13 PM
when up north there we live in Danville, Illinois.

Would you know Rick Johnson there in Danville? I'm pretty sure that is where he is from.