PDA

View Full Version : New to cast in need of guidance

chuck75
12-31-2008, 10:25 PM
Newbie on board and looking to switch to store bought cast for my 32 H&R Mag for NRA silhouettes. I'm starting from scratch and looking for basics. At this point I know nothing except jacketed reloading. Also, it's got to be store bought, no time for casting at my house.

Thanks

runfiverun
12-31-2008, 10:51 PM
try to find a boolit that fits your throats and is as soft as possible.
i like the rcbs 98 gr. cast from a 1%tin and 2% antimony mix and sized to .313
good luck finding that at your gun shop.
pushed by 3.5 gr of a fast powder.
cast is just as easy to load as jacketed and much easier on your revolver.
they have to fit better [correctly] and be soft enough to do the job.
don't fall for the "hard-cast" line.
try bullshop at the bottom of this page, or some of the other commercial guys that will probably stop in here.

cajun shooter
01-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Chuck75, SLOOOOW Down and enjoy life my man. If you shoot, you are passing up one of the best things since sliced bread. Take time to at least Buy the Lyman book on casting and do some reading. Hope you do it. When you cast you stop just putting components together and become a true reloader. If you take me up on this you will find that those days that you can't shoot are just as good or better because you cast.

NSP64
01-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Chuck, why are you switching to cast? Price? First you will need to slug the barrel of your gun. Then buy some booolits sized .001 over bore size. What are you going to shoot it from?And how fast?

chuck75
01-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Reply to last two comments: 1. Slowing down is not an option at the moment. Not by choice; but, I left 10 days of vacation on the table with my"rescued" employer and it wasn't my fault. Thanks for the guidance. 2. Will be shooting my TC in 32 HR Mag. Great with Jacketed, shooting freehanded, 60 single shots in a couple of hours. 3 banks of 5 animals each for chikens, pigs, turkeys and rams. Nothing at all like a 6 shooter.

runfiverun
01-01-2009, 11:55 PM
we shoot lever action silhouettes the regular at 100m and long range at 200m
the 100 yd rams will fall to a 38 and a 158 regularly and if you high hit, a 25-20 will knock them down.
hopefully you can find what you need.

Bret4207
01-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Welcome to the board Chuck. I know all about that "no free time" dilemma! I don't own a TC but from what I read they can be finicky in the throat dept. Make sure you make a post in Single Shots and the pistol section here. I know some of the guys have made posts on this very subject.

I agree with Cajun- at least get the Lyman book and see whats there for those days when you do have more time.

chuck75
01-02-2009, 12:14 PM
I keep hearing about Veral Smith's book???

AZ-Stew
01-02-2009, 02:33 PM
I assume that by "TC", you're talking about a Contender. If so, and if I'm not mistaken, the T/C Contender barrels for .32 H&R are made with a .308 (.30 cal) groove diameter barrel. If this is the case, you get a bunch of options. There are a lot of .30 caliber commercially cast bullets on the market. You might start with those designed for the .30 carbine. There are heavier ones available if you need the punch to knock down the rams.

Regards,

Stew

chuck75
01-02-2009, 06:15 PM
I am referring to the Contender. The bore is .308; but, the throat is .312.

Bret4207
01-02-2009, 07:39 PM
I keep hearing about Veral Smith's book???

Available from Veral Smith of LBT moulds fame. A good booklet, covers a lot of the more advanced aspects. Some of his theories are still just theories, but most of his stuff works. Of course there is a LOT of salesmanship in the book. Still, google him and you should find him. I forget if he posts at Greybeard or 24 hr Campfire but he's out there.

bobthenailer
01-02-2009, 07:41 PM
although i dont have a 32 hr mag i have read several articles on them useing heavy bullets . i personaly have a 30/20 ae 32/20 with a 308 bore i have had excellent results with the rcbs 165 gr gc bullet with 9.0 of surplus 820 for about 1250 fps and a honest 25 shot group at 100 yards of 1 1/4 inches for 25 shots this is from a rpm/ xl . my contender in 32/20 wouldent shoot cast bullets and i tried 3 cast bullets that shot very good in the xl , after trying about 8 different powders i gave up and sold the barrel however it shot jacketed accurately
bob

AZ-Stew
01-04-2009, 04:19 AM
I'd still go with .30 caliber bullets. See if you can get someone to cast some for you that are plain-base (no gas check, you won't need it at .32 H&R velocities) and out of relatively soft alloy, say 10-13 BHN, sized at .309-.310. Should work fine.

Regards,

Stew

missionary5155
01-04-2009, 06:40 AM
Good morning and Welcome !
The above como +7 !
Get the books... you really need the basic info about casting... you can find the books USED. But in a request at the WANTED forun. That E place has books along with libraries (some). Then there is the old "ask a friend"....
I have been casting lohg enough to know I still need all the help I can get. Hot lead can hurt you real bad REAL FAST ! I got my first lead burn 54 years ago.... still have the white spot. I brought an Old Lyman casting book down here to Peru just to reread the first 55 pages yearly to NOT forget the basics.
I used to shoot the steel critters with a Contender 7mm TCU standing. You will not have any trouble popping Cast boolits at them ...
Start right and you will enjoy the Independence of casting your own a long time !
God Bless you !