PDA

View Full Version : 'puter gurus step up

Lead melter
12-31-2008, 07:06 PM
My old computer went belly up about a month ago. It will not operate other than in "safe mode". All my reloading data was stored in a document file with backup on 2 separate floppy discs (remember those?). I can access the document and the floppy drive, but the CD drive will not operate, as a prompt tells me it is not in the system. My new computer does not have the floppy drive to load all the data onto the system

My question is,,,Can I access the safe mode on the old computer, plug a flash drive into a USB port, download the info, and then upload it from the flash drive onto the new computer?

This will save a lot of typing, as 10 years worth of data is on the file!!!

Advice and directions por favor.

jhrosier
12-31-2008, 07:56 PM
Lead Melter,
I don't know if the USB thing will work but if it doesn't, you can get a floppy drive that plugs in to the usb port of your new computer for $10-15.

Good luck, Jack

jhrosier
12-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Smattern fact, I forgot that when the wife's 'puter croaked with a motherboard failure, I pulled the hard drive out and put it in a $10 USB enclosure to recover our banking records.

Jack

garandsrus
12-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Lead Melter,

You should be able to move data to a USB drive while in safe mode.

John

kamikaze1a
01-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Safe mode bypasses poading non-essential peripherals so you CD drivers could be bypassed. You could use "MSCONFIG" instead. Read this (http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1643&page=5)