PDA

View Full Version : What is the price of scrap lead in your area?

SlamFire1
12-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Yesterday I went to a scrap yard in Florence Alabama. The price of lead, or wheelweights was 50 cents a pound. The owner told me last year at this time it would have been 90 cents.

What is it running in your area?

P.S. He was unaware of zinc wheel weights.

Boz330
12-31-2008, 02:44 PM
I bought 302lbs last month for 30 cents. This was pure lead for BPCR. In Sep it was 50 cents and a buck back in the spring. It is still going down from what I understand.

Bob

putteral
12-31-2008, 04:03 PM
I just paid 45 cents per pound for wheel weights here in Crystal River, FL. Ebay has WW Ingots for $118 per 100 lbs delivered. I am still looking for that special deal. I know it is out there and that I will find it.

Randall
12-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Here in NE Ok. I am paying .40 cents a pound or more at the salvages. Nobody will sell Wheelweights at the tire stores now. My last source told me a month ago they were going to reuse what they could and sell the rest to the battery supplier.

bbs70
12-31-2008, 04:34 PM
I've also been told by dealers that they are reusing their wheel weights or the battery guy gets them.
I was told by a dealer this morning that they (who ever THEY are) are wanting to do away with lead wheel weights.

As for scrap ww and regular lead here in Illinois, I paid .20 a pound two weeks ago at one yard ( 250 lbs)
Another scrap yard has some lead for .16 per pound, I have to wait till Jan 2 to see what kind of lead they have.

I was told this past spring lead was going for .90 a pound around here.

Russel Nash
12-31-2008, 04:39 PM
^^^ whereabouts are you in Ill-annoyed?

I am "down south" near St. Louis.

UweJ
12-31-2008, 06:13 PM
Here in germany you´ve just about have to pay the junk yard owner to take the lead.Suddenly (grin) the prices go down the dumps.Since China and other foreign countries aren´t taking scrap or steel any more the market broke down. Since you hardly get any more WW except trucks and busses ,get as much as you can and keep them. I got myself 1500 pounds of WW and will mix them to make Lyman nr.2.
Uwe

housedad
12-31-2008, 08:19 PM
18 cents a pound at the scrapyard here. lead pipe, sheet, or WW.

C A Plater
12-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Got a couple of tires the other day in Huntsville, AL and asked the tire dealer about the WW. Said a sinker maker guy from Atlanta was paying $20 per 5 gallon bucket full. The fella hadn't been around for a while and offered me a bucket for fee. Naturally I took it.

timkelley
12-31-2008, 11:47 PM
I paid 25 cents a pound at the local (only) service station in town a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking about going to the city and buying a pickup load if the price continues down.

Railbuggy
01-01-2009, 10:09 AM
I had a flat again yesterday,sheet metal screw.Went to Dougs used tire shop for a $6 plug.For $10 he sold me a 5gal bucket 3/4 full of WW.About 100lbs I think.

mtgrs737
01-01-2009, 11:37 AM
I have been paying $25 a 5 gallon bucket for WW's in south central Kansas, but they are hard to find, most tire places are selling them back to the battery suppliers. I am finding more and more non-lead weights per bucket with each pick up.

Kraschenbirn
01-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Two days ago (Tues, 12/30), I paid $25 for a nearly-full 5-gallon bucket from a small-town tire shop about 15 miles north of where I live. After sorting out the obvious zinc ww's, old valve stems, and misc. junk, I ended up with 112# of ww's and almost 6# of pure lead stick-ons.

Six months ago, you couldn't buy a used ww anywhere in my 7-county work area; either they were being picked up by the scrap dealers/recyclers or were otherwise "spoken for."

Bill

c1a1
01-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Just started casting.$15 for 150 lbs at the local tire shop. Was given 80 lbs. free at another shop, going to other shops and trying to set up a monthly pickup of WW.I will help them with their"garbage"problem

bbs70
01-01-2009, 01:27 PM
^^^ whereabouts are you in Ill-annoyed?

I am "down south" near St. Louis.

I'm 50 miles north east of St. Louis and 50 miles straight south of Springfield, IL.
4 miles west of I-55
A little town called Benld.

1z-bar
01-01-2009, 02:29 PM
I paid 26 cents a pound at the scrap yard for 120 lbs of mainley soft lead. One of our tire stores says they have to have epa papers to get rid of it. I hope this isn't a comming thing!!:twisted:

69daytona
01-01-2009, 02:39 PM
I usually get my wheel weights free from the guy I buy my tires from, with 9 cars he is pretty good at giving them to me, last time I got 250 lbs, I just paid $50 for 500 lbs of indoor range scrape and have smelted 300lbs so far and only have 165 lbs of good lead, last bucket looks like it might have more lead in it than dirt and jackets, so far that works out to about 33 cents a lb, so after the rest is smelted it should be around 10-15 cents a lb.
I like my tire store sorce best but thing have been slow lately

01-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Last time I checked at the scrap yard... clean, pure cable sheathing lead was .50/lb with WW about the same.... a month or two ago.

Seafarer12
01-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Last time I bought some it averaged out to .55 for moslty pure lead. None of the scrap dealers around here will sell lead they just buy it.

JIMinPHX
01-01-2009, 10:42 PM
$0.50/lb is above the current spot price for new lead.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

That scrap dealer is a thief.

Then again... It looks like there are a lot of thieves out there -

http://www.scrapindex.com/metal.html

pjh421
01-02-2009, 12:46 AM
I was in my favorite gun store yesterday buying some primers, Trail Boss and AA No. 7 and happened to notice that if I had to buy cast bullets, they would cost me between 7 and 9 cents each for 9mm through .45 pistol. That's about a third more than what I've seen in the last several years.

Paul

JIMinPHX
01-03-2009, 10:32 AM
The spot price of lead & other metals is starting to rise again. Lead is up over 0.50 again now. Gas is starting to go up again too. My local grocery store is jacking their prices up noticeably. I think that this may be a sign of things to come. Now might be a good time to do some grabbing while the grabbing is good.

bbs70
01-03-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm sitting here reading the thread and wondering why the difference everyone pays for scrap lead.
I would think that the prices would be close to the same because of market value.:confused:

A couple of weeks ago I bought 255 pounds of mostly ww material someone had already cast into ingots, I got it for .20 a pound.

Yesterday I got 345 pounds at a different yard at .18 a pound.
The man seemed like he was anxious to sell it, he looked everywhere to find more to sell to me.
100 # was soft plumers scrap lead.
1 bucket of wheel weights.
3 buckets of ingots that were poured into a Lyman mold, from my scratch test it seems to be ww material.
And 2 good sized bars of lead I can hardly dent with a hammer.

I guess I ought to be glad the prices are low in my area.
But it still makes me wonder why the price difference everywhere.

randyrat
01-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Most scrap yards absolutly quit buying for a while.... I also noticed spot prices went up to about .51/lb.....Good time to buy..... I pay .30/lb for Tin/scrap lead/WWs/whatever is in the mix and come out in the end looking real good. I like paying .30/lb for Tin bars, i treat them guys with a lot of respect.
I'm puzzled more people don't get deals on Tin(tin bars,rolls,solder) because scape yards really don't make anything on it.
Keep an eye on the market because everyone will get skidish this time around WHEN it goes up again.

45&30-30
01-03-2009, 08:07 PM
I just called up the local tire dealer I know and use. I asked him if he was still selling wheel weights, he told me to come on in and he would "fix me up". Free. I have never paid more than 10 dollars for a five gallon bucket full and usually I get them for free. I think the dealers around here usually give them out to customers upon asking. Maybe it's just me, but I doubt it. Of course I haven't bought or asked for any for about two years, other than today. When I pick them up on next week I will hit all of the tire stores in town and see if I can get a comparison of dealers and I will let everyone know, if this will help. By the way I just signed up today and posted my first post in the tesing forum. Great site.

Boerrancher
01-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Yesterday I went to my scrap dealer and traded 20 lbs of aluminum cans for 40 lbs of WW. I would have gotten more but that was all they had, and they told me they were not buying lead anymore. I told them if they would start buying lead at a nickel a pound I would pay them a dime a pound for it. I will find out next week if they have gotten any in.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch.

Joe

jleneave
01-04-2009, 01:04 AM
My local scrap yard is paying .10 cents/lbs but they say they don't have any to sell. I was told that they sold all the lead they had when the price was high. I hope the prices don't go back up like they were about a year ago. Take care.

Jody