PDA

View Full Version : Probably a REAL stupid question...

goste
12-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Hello all,

Being the tite-wad my better half says I am, I have a question...

I'm using Lee TL moulds, love them... Was using LLA, love it....

Was going to try to make my own lube, using some of the recipes I've read here. My question is one concerning parrafin. I know I can by the Gulf parrafin at the grocery store, yeah, it's fairly cheap, but so am I..:razz:

I have a brother in law, who works for a well service Co, in Midland Tx. He was down for Xmas, and was telling me about some of the things he did at work. They sometimes have to heat up pipes, to remove Parrafin Blockage. I asked if he could get me some. All I want it, seems, So obviously, My question to those a lot smarter than me,(99.9% on this board), is can I use this FREE Parraffin, for bullet lube conponents.... could there be something in it that may be harmful?

Thanks all......Caspar

Boerrancher
12-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Caspar,

Why not just use JPW? It only costs like $6 a can, and I have been shooting on my latest can for over a year now and it is still over half full. It has close to 2,000 boolits so far of various calibers. The way I figure it that is about a penny to lube 10 boolits. That is pretty cheap, and easy. Plus I am not wasting my time and energy trying to concoct a lube.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

crabo
12-30-2008, 08:07 PM
If you love LLA you can buy it cheap at Lars45stuff at the bottom of the page. Much much cheaper.

http://www.lsstuff.com/index.html

runfiverun
12-30-2008, 08:12 PM
the parafin he gets is pretty full of hydrocarbons.
not something you want in your bbl.
i have been mixing jpw and some bees wax together for a few things and it seems to be fine.
but for your tumble lube boolits i would either stick to lla or jpw or a coat of both.
it has just got to be easier to apply to those lee's.

shooting on a shoestring
12-31-2008, 12:09 AM
I'm a chemist for an environmental company. Don't do it. Working with the renegade grade of paraffin will expose you to carcinogens you can't imagine. Stick to the refined stuff, its cheap enough and doesn't carry the risks.

I'm cheap too, I'll bet most on this board are....frugal. I got about a bushel of candles at a garage sale a couple of years ago. I think I gave $5 for the bunch and couldn't carry them all in one trip. They are nearly pure paraffin and very handy to have/use.

Also you can get some beeswax from a few sellers on this board. 30 or 40 dollars will get you nearly a lifetime supply.

docone31
12-31-2008, 12:35 AM
I go 55% beeswax, 45% Vaseline. I then mix in some Marvel Mystery oil. Makes a good all around lube for me. It also is good on leather.
To stiffen it, I add some more beeswax.
The issue is useing Tumble Lube castings. I am not sure pan lubeing will work that well.
JPW, or I have used Turtle Wax.
No complaints there.

goste
12-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the response, and answers...

I will continue to use LLA, for my pistol molds. I was going to try something diff, when I start casting for some of my Rifles.

I'll give the JPW a good hard look. I just heard the magic word parrafin, and thought , ya free.

Thanks again....Caspar :-P

DLCTEX
12-31-2008, 11:26 AM
If your wife thinks LLA smells bad, let her get a whiff of Midlands BS (parafin), nasty stuff. A mess to handle, too. Go with JPW.