PDA

View Full Version : A source I never considered...

imashooter2
12-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Saw this over on ARFCOM. It's a source I never thought of...

A source for free lead may be as close as your phone book. Look in the Yellow Pages for X-Ray Service. There should be at least one or more companies in your area that sells/repairs Medical X-Ray equipment.
With the new rage being towards digital imaging,many hospitals are purchasing new equipment. The older equipment is being scrapped.
If you call and ask for the service manager you may be able drive over and remove the lead counter weights from the old GE,Picker, or other brand X-Ray tables that are going to be thrown away. HARD lead is used to counter balance the table as the patient is raised/lowered into position.
Each table will have 500-2,000 pounds of lead in it for the taking.
Volunteer to clean up the mess you make,or even get rid of some of the scrap steel for the dealer and you will be invided to return.
I'm sitting on seven, thats 7 tons of lead right now. All is hard lead. The larger blocks can be cut with a chain saw ( it works great ) or a big hammer and a log splitter ( hard to do )
and no Bone Head, its not Radioactive. X-Rays are Radio Waves, there is no residual radiation.
If your not a lazy Sot, you will have lead to sell/have for years to come.

home in oz
12-30-2008, 08:44 PM
good idea.

WHat is ARFCOM?

trickyasafox
12-30-2008, 08:56 PM
arfcom= ar15.com

mikenbarb
12-30-2008, 09:10 PM
I have been getting the pure lead film backings from a couple dentists for a while and their happy to dump them for free. They have to pay big bucks to dispose of them and I just leave them with a tupperware container with my info on it and when its full they call me. A nice tray of sugar free cookies helps also plus the one secretary has the hots for me.LOL.;)

Buckshot
12-31-2008, 01:52 AM
...............My youngest brother worked for Picker Electronics here in So. California. He called me up once and said he had some 'stuff' for me, so come get it before he threw it out. He had 15 bricks sized pieces of lead. They were table counterweights. They weren't hard, and were softer then WW typical alloy. However, hardness matters no to me :-) so I dumped them all in the pickup, left a hearty thanks and shot them up over time with sublime satisfaction, HA!

................Buckshot

cajun shooter
12-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Now Mike, Don't you think that your taking a chance by posting that. That wife of yours will make you into a gelding!!