PDA

View Full Version : ghost ring sight

akriverrat
12-29-2008, 11:51 PM
how do you guys like them and how far out can you trust them? ive never used one but have one now and just looking for opinions. its on a marlin 1895 GS and am planning on using it for hunting under the right conditions.

hiram
12-30-2008, 12:17 AM
It's a peep sight with an oversized hole. Get on target quickly, more light in low light-level conditions.

If you want a classy looking sight, go to http://www.skinnersights.com/

The Double D
12-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Well if you are doing Marlins...http://www.brockmansrifles.com/sight_options.asp

EDK
12-30-2008, 02:48 AM
There's a bunch of different ones out there, but the basic concept is the same. I've been using a LYMAN 66 on MARLIN lever guns for almost 40 years. Go over to marlinowners and look at the SKINNER sights...one of them will be my next purchase. There was a write up in RIFLE or HANDLOADER magazine awhile back about the popularity of the 45/70 Guide Gun up your way...and suggestions for the sights, etc. Wild West Guns does some nice looking modifications on it.

I don't care for the looks of the "fire sight" front sights, but they seem to work and are very popular. Put that obnoxiously bright front sight on target and then apply large boolits. My usage is pretty much defensive...or stopping feral dogs/coyotes from chewing on the calves.

:cbpour: :redneck: :Fire:

primersp
12-30-2008, 03:10 AM
i agree ,i have both ,but the skinner is more compact and rugged once sighting
regards

dromia
12-30-2008, 12:59 PM
The classic and proven ghost ring sight is the rear battle sight on the No4 series Enfields.

Larry Gibson
12-30-2008, 02:36 PM
akriverrat

......how far out can you trust them? [/QUOTE]

If your eyes are still young and you can still focus the front sight clearly they will give surprisingly good accuracy out to as far as you are going to shoot your 1895 GS at big game. The key is to look through the aperture, focus on the front sight (that means the tip of the front sight is crystal clear. The aperture is blurred and the target may or may not be blurred also). Your eye will tend to center the tip of the front sight in the center of the aperture. You still must do a mental visual check to make sure it is centered. With practice this comes very, very quickly...almost automatically. The tip of the front sight centered in the aperture is called sight alignment. Placing the aligned sights over the target on the aiming point is called a sight picture.

Remember to focus on the front sight . If you switch the focus to the target (the natural tendancy) then accuracy diminishes.

Larry Gibson

runfiverun
12-30-2008, 08:08 PM
yhe skinners are good ones..,if you are shooting regular loads if you are gonna shoot slower loads would look at a different set-up.

monadnock#5
12-30-2008, 09:07 PM
+1 on Mr. Gibson's comments.

Say you're shooting prone with a sling @ 200yds. After firing 10 rounds, you see that 7 or 8 rounds are in the black where you were aiming, and there are 2 or 3 rounds at 5:00 in the 7 and 8 rings (presuming you're right handed). Two separate groups. How can that be? Well, it's because your brain tricked you. You thought that you could maintain focus on front sight, aperture and target all at the same time. Sorry, it can't be done. You can shift focus quickly from one to the other, but you can't focus on all three, or even two, at the same time. The 2 or 3 rounds that ended up at 5:00 came when you had the target centered in the aperture instead of the front sight. Front sight focus is everything.

The one time I shot at 600 yds in High Power, I scored in the low 90's with an M1A. If I can do it, anybody can. Counting target boards carefully before each shot so as not to cross fire was the most difficult part of the exercise.

akriverrat
12-30-2008, 09:21 PM
larry my eyes got old on me when i was in the fourth grade but with corrective lenses i can see pretty well still :-P. looked at my paperwork and i have the XS sight systems ghost ring with intergal ramp. it fits nicely and comes right to my eye automatically. cant wait to get it to the range and see what it will do!

Freightman
12-31-2008, 03:16 PM
It's a peep sight with an oversized hole. Get on target quickly, more light in low light-level conditions.

If you want a classy looking sight, go to http://www.skinnersights.com/
Got one on my M92 Puma works great.

Larry Gibson
12-31-2008, 10:11 PM
akriverrat

Give 'er a whirl. Never know until you try 'em. Just remember, focus on the front sight. I still use aperture rear sights ans most use a Merit hunting aperture in them. That whay I can adjust the aperture size for the light conditions and my eyes. I'm not nearly as accurate with them as I used to be though.

Larry Gibson

Russel Nash
12-31-2008, 10:18 PM
I shoot an iron sighted AR-15 for 3 gun matches. I used the large peep for the close in stages.

It's a lot like a ghost ring rear.

it really is incredibly fast.

but then again the front sight on the AR has these "bunny ears" so it's just a matter of framing the brown carboard targets within those ears and

BLAM!

BLAM!

Oh... my... what a rush!

As far as a ghost ring rear sight for shotguns, I am still trying to cobble something up for that. Something that will clamp onto the rib of the barrel.

01-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I've shot them on 3-4 different guns. They are very fast and give a really clear total sight picture because both front and rear are farther from the eye (and nearer each other). The only thing I've noticed about the various apertures sights and it may be anecdotal or subjective is that tang mounted apertures give the best pin-point accuracy for target work, followed by the receiver mounted followed by the barrel mounted (ghost ring). Plusses for the ghost ring seem to be speed, carry handiness and clearness of image. The different accuracy potentials among the three types may have something to do with sight radius where the barrel mounted ghost ring has the shortest and the tang mounted aperture has the the longest.

JudgeBAC
01-01-2009, 05:27 PM
I use an XS sight systems ghost ring rear and blade front with a white stripe on a Marlin 1895 .45-70. The aperture is huge but as a previous poster said, focus on the front sight and all will be well and you will be surprised at what kind of groups you can shoot at 100 yards.

HCL
01-01-2009, 06:23 PM
I use the XS ghost rings on my 1895 and 1894, they are great. Very fast target accusition. If you focus on the front sight you will never notice there rear ring, your eye will automaticly center the front sight.
I also have the scout scope setup on the 1895, with Leupold scout scope, quick release rings for when it is getting dark the scope comes off in about 2 seconds and the ghost rings are still in place. When the scope goes back on, still right on the money.
You will like the ghost rings.
Mike