PDA

View Full Version : Carnauba Red for low velocity rounds?

Down South
12-29-2008, 11:19 PM
I’ve got a question for you guys. I’m getting a full WC mould for my 38/357 revolvers. I’m planning on making some plinking rounds with this mould. Reasons being is my youngest daughter recently bought an S&W 642 for self defense (plus I have the same revolver). I’ve worked with her practicing but she is shooting off the shelf full power loads and that is quite a hand full for the small woman that she is. Sooooo, I want to load something light just to practice with. I’m like most casters/reloaders. I’ve always tried to push a boolit about as fast as I could and maintain accuracy without leading.
I’m using Lar’s Carnauba Red as my primary lube. It does very well with the higher velocities and pressures that I normally run.
My question is do you think Carnauba Red will work well with the lower velocities that I plan on? I’m gonna push these boolits about as slow as I can. I want felt recoil to be at a minimum. I hate to change lubes since I only have one lube/sizer as of yet.
I have some NRA 50/50 and Bull Shop Speed Green but dang I hate to clean out my sizer just to make these rounds.
I’m not sure what powder that I’ll use yet but I have a few pounds of Unique on the shelf that will probably work. I have a few other powders that I may be able to use too but I haven’t done the research on them yet.
This question is sort of out of the blue. I know that trial and error would be the best judge. But some of you folks shooting low velocity rounds might be able to give me a pointer or two.

357maximum
12-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Go ahead and GITRDONE

The C-Red will do just fine in the slow stuff....my 38's have never had an issue with it.....just lube only the bottom lubegroove and you will likely have better accuracy.....C red is a high quality lube...you do not need as much of it as some lesser lubes.

kooz
12-30-2008, 12:37 AM
The Carnuba Red is going to work just fine.

azrednek
12-30-2008, 01:21 AM
I have used Jake's red in my light loads without any problems. For your light wadcutter loads I suggest Lee's tumble lube. I shoot my 38 Special button nosed, double end and hollow based wad cutters without any sizing with a light coat of tumble lube. I never had any leading problems and they shoot more accurately than the sized and hard lubed wadcutters. If you have trouble chambering the unsized boolits, a quick pass through a Lee Factory Crimp die will likely fix it.

Tom W.
12-30-2008, 07:42 AM
Use it and be happy!

cajun shooter
12-30-2008, 09:51 AM
My Louisiana brother, The red will work as stated above but you might want to venture out in life and try something other than vanilla. Try BAC for your low to mid loads. It's your RED with a 50% mix of 50/50. I think you will be quite pleased. When I shoot the other powder in 38,357,44,45 and even some rifle it's my choice.

Heavy lead
12-30-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm with CS on this one, I have switched almost everything over to BAC.

dk17hmr
12-30-2008, 10:23 AM
I use both Carnauba Red and BAC...your best bet is just to buy another sizer, one for each.:kidding:

I use CR in about everything High Speed 22 calibers to low speed 45's works great for me. Another option might be Johnsons Paste Wax, if you feel CR isnt going to work out for you. Just use JPW as a tumble lube, it will be harder/less tacky than LLA.

Down South
12-30-2008, 11:15 AM
I use both Carnauba Red and BAC...your best bet is just to buy another sizer, one for each.:kidding:

:lol: That is really what I'd like to do. Maybe I can luck up on a good used one someday. I really do need more than one sizer.
I'll have to try CR since I'm already set up for it plus I have enough in stock to last a couple lifetimes.

Echo
12-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Besides my Star, I have two RCBS lube/sizers, one loaded w/50-50, the other with Red. Makes it handy... And they show up regularly on eBay.

Down South
12-30-2008, 10:06 PM
I’ve just got a decent chance to reply to this thread. I finally got off work for the day and it’s been a busy one. I went to Lar’s web site and he says that CR works well for many low velocity loads but BAC may be better. I have to try the CR since I’m set up with it. If CR doesn’t work then I’ll try another softer lube. I have a feeling that the CR will do well. I’ll know in a week or so. I’ve got about 8 sticks of Bull Shop Speed Green that will be next in line plus a few sticks of 50/50. I really wish that I had another sizer and some day soon I’ll have one. I’d like to get another Star so that my dies will interchange.

Thanks for the replies folks.