PDA

View Full Version : Magma molds

Black Jaque Janaviac
12-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Does anyone use Magma molds for casting by hand? Is it even possible?

I've looked around and Magma is the only one that offers a 125 to 130 grain RNFP that looks about exactly what I want. The nose end is long enough that it should feed through my Rossi '92 even on .38 spl brass. I already have Lee's 125 gr RNFP but the OAL is way too short when loaded on .38 brass. Not to mention it's horribly inaccurate.

I really like the looks of Magma' 38-130-RN FP BB though. But when I paruse the site I get the idea that Magma molds are for comercial applications - not just some guy casting a few in his garage for his own use.

Can you stick a Magma block on another brand's handles? If so which handles? Lee? Lyman? RCBS? Saeco?

Calehedron
12-29-2008, 07:01 PM
I believe they have the same groove width as the RCBS handles and Im sure you could hone down a pair of Lees to fit. You would just have to remove the rigging they put in to bolt into thier machines. The other issue is the sprue plate. The Magma's come standard with a double eared plate to open and close as it is tipped into place and down to drop. I'm sure they have standard sprue plates also. Email or give them a call. Nice people and a pleasure to talk to. I live close by and plan on stopping in soon to buy a decked out Star Sizer.

Dixie Slugs
12-29-2008, 07:05 PM
I have seven double cavity Magma molds for bullets I help design some years ago. All are set up for the Magma Caster....however, they can be used with a set of modified RCBS handles.
Talk to Mary Clausen at Magma...she the best!
Regards, James

12-29-2008, 08:41 PM
I converted a Magma mould with a set of Lee six cavity handles and some accurate drilling to set the pins. Not hard, just take your time and make sure the hole locations are correct. Also had to grind a smidgen of the handles away to work around some feature on the mould. Not a problem. The mould metal drills easy with some cutting oil and a drill press. Anyway, it works just fine for me.

runfiverun
12-29-2008, 09:05 PM
magma sells handles for their molds. and you can fit a conventional sprue cutter if you wish but i know they have those too.

billyb
12-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Does anyone use Magma molds for casting by hand? Is it even possible?

I've looked around and Magma is the only one that offers a 125 to 130 grain RNFP that looks about exactly what I want. The nose end is long enough that it should feed through my Rossi '92 even on .38 spl brass. I already have Lee's 125 gr RNFP but the OAL is way too short when loaded on .38 brass. Not to mention it's horribly inaccurate.

I really like the looks of Magma' 38-130-RN FP BB though. But when I paruse the site I get the idea that Magma molds are for comercial applications - not just some guy casting a few in his garage for his own use.

Can you stick a Magma block on another brand's handles? If so which handles? Lee? Lyman? RCBS? Saeco?
I use magma molds to hand cast. I use rcbs handles, they have to be modifed with a clearence cut on the right side in front of the mounting screw. Excelent molds, I use the 230rn, and the 200swc for the 45 auto. Bill