PDA

View Full Version : Designing a muzzleloader bullet?

mart
01-02-2006, 01:58 PM
I am wanting a mould for my Lyman 50 cal deerstalker that will produce a heavy bullet similar to Hornady's (420-460 grain). I am looking at getting one through Moutain Moulds. What things do I need to take into consideration prior to designing and ordering the mould? What should the front band be in relation to the bore size (.512)? Rear band? One, two or three lub grooves? I have several hundred pounds of pure lead and enough beeswax to make lube for thousands of muzzleloader bullets and patches so really hate to pay 50+ cents apiece for commercial muzzleloader bullets. Thanks in advance for the advice. This forum is a tremendous asset to any cast bullet shooter.

Mart

omgb
01-02-2006, 02:25 PM
I have a SAECO four cavity mould that makes the Lyman-TC maxi bullet. I'm open to selling it. It cost me $165 and tha's what I want for it.

mart
01-02-2006, 08:28 PM
omgb.

Thanks, but I am looking for a heavier bullet than the TC maxi type and the price is more than I want to go. Thanks.

Mart

versifier
01-03-2006, 12:02 AM
Mart, just curious, why would you want something heavier than a Maxi Ball in a .50 cal? :holysheep
RCBS makes "North-South Skirmish Hodgdon-Style" molds in .50 cal that adjust from 253-566gr - Midway lists them.
Do you have a good recoil pad on your rifle? I would want to have one... :shock:

mart
01-03-2006, 11:04 PM
versifier,

I have had good luck accuracy wise with the Hornady 420 and 460 grain and hunting in Alaska I prefer the heavy bullets. I tend to lean toward the heavy bullets in most calibers anyway, muzzleloader or modern rifle. I suppose the old Lyman 370 maxi would do just fine and the ones I have shot in my 50 have been spectacularly accurate, but I sure like the heavier bullets. I will check out that RCBS bullet. I didn't realize it was adjustable in weight. The catalog I have lists the mould but no weight for the bullet. If they cast that heavy it may be what I am looking for. Thanks.

Mart

shooter575
01-04-2006, 01:44 AM
That RCBS adjustable in .54 works real well accuracy wise in a buddys .54 Mississippi. I have the fixed weight .576 one.It is damm good shooter also. I realy like the captive cavity pin design on RCBS too.

versifier
01-04-2006, 03:06 AM
Mart, If I had to have a single shot where there are things that would eat me, I'd guess I'd be wanting a heavy bullet for my .50, too. Maybe 600gr, and in a Barrett in .50BMG at 300-400 yds, and some damned well-armed backup. I like the whole idea of that adjustable mold, if you go for it will you write up a review for the forum?

44man
01-04-2006, 01:13 PM
You never said what the twist rate is on your Lyman. There is a limit to the boolit length if you have the faster twist and if you have the round ball twist, you sure don't want a heavy boolit.
If you have the fast twist, the Maxi Ball would be the largest I would go.

mart
01-05-2006, 11:02 PM
versifier,

I would be happy to do a write up. I need to find a mould, that shouldn't be to hard. I know Midway carries them but they used to really stick it to Alaskans on shipping. I haven't ordered from them in over 3 years because of their high shipping costs. I checked Huntington today but didn't get time to check on their shipping costs. They have the mould so may try them.

It would be interesting to try several different weights from the lightest to the heaviest from the same mould. My rifle has a 1 in 32 twist and handles the heavy Hornady bullets well. It won't shoot round balls worth a darn. This test is sounding more and more interesting all the time.

I will check around for a mould and let you know.

Mart