PDA

View Full Version : old lee 45acp

12-29-2008, 01:11 PM
is there any one target shooting that uses the lee old mold, 190 gr swc .452 mold? the one they stoped making about a year ago? i shoot it in matches up to 50 yrds. also cast for 4 or 5 other shooters that love this bullet. i think the long bearing side w/short nose helps it ,over the h&g standard 200 gr w/ long nose and a shorter side. while casting with my 3 of these molds and knowing they are going down hill over time, i have thought of a new shape. picture this the same profile but with a bb. if you have this bullet look at it. change the 2 lube groves to 1 and add a slite bevel base. it would cast easer, load easer, and should shoot the same. in the last 4 mo. i have bought the lee 9mm 122 gr tc and 40 cal. 175 gr tc both having just a slight bb. i like them for action shooting. the lube grove in the 40 cal is a little wide and not deep enugh. the lube does not stay in it as good as the 9mm bullet. the 45 acp mold has a good sharp sholder that cuts a good clean hole in the paper. there could be a group buy for the same mold they did make , but for the same money why not one that is a little better. what do others think.

Echo
12-29-2008, 01:56 PM
I have no BB molds, and don't want one. I understand those boolits are easier to load, but I believe they are not quite as accurate. If sufficient accuracy is all shots in a paper plate @ 25 yards, then BB are probably OK. Otherwise...

35remington
12-29-2008, 09:24 PM
I'd be against anything that takes away from bearing surface, and a bevel base would do that. So I vote to leave it as is - not that my vote matters anyway for such a thing.

Only downside to this bullet is that it's really a nonstandard shape for the .45 ACP, in the sense that the gun wasn't orginally designed to run with it. This really requires an earlier release magazine to accomodate an OAL that may run around 1.180-1.190", and such magazines are a reliability compromise themselves.

When referring to bullseye tuned guns, such a shortnose semiwadcutter is rather standard, now, but bullseye shooting allows alibis. I agree, it is a very accurate bullet, but I tend to like a smoother feeding design rather than one that requires "kachunky" magazine feeding angles.

Ol' Butch
12-29-2008, 10:51 PM
The LEE is just a short version of the Lyman 452460 2 groove SWC.

I have both and prefer the Lyman, it drops about 200gr from W-W + 2% tin.

I just lube the front groove. Cuts very clean holes.

The Lyman is avaiable new in a 2 or 4 cavity.

Butch

Elk Country
12-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Hello,

I don't mean to intrude on this thread, but I have a two cavity Lyman #452460 mold that I would part with at a reasonable price If anyone is interested. It is in very good shape. I just don't use it much anymore as I'm converting my cast bullets to a LEE 160gr. RF for easier feeding in my Springfield XD.

Let me know and we can settle on a price for the mold only, NO handles, I have to keep them for my other molds.

Elk Country

12-30-2008, 04:23 PM
i also have the lyman 452460 4cav mold . it is very nuch like the old lee 190 gr. i was thinking that if the bullet had a very little bb like the lee 40cal 175gr tc and 9mm 122 gr tc mold that it would not take off enugh of the bearing sides to hurt the grouping. the lee bb on those bullest are not near as big as the h&g bb .

TAWILDCATT
12-30-2008, 04:34 PM
I find the Lee 452-200-SWC to be excelent.I have the 6 cavity mold.remember the 1911 was made for 230 gr bullets.the less wt the more chance of failure.and the
160 gr looks more like a cowboy bullet for revolvers.I shot in compt for 30 yrs and never had a failure to feed if I made them right. my load was 3.6 gr 700X-200 gr SWC.:smile: ;)