PDA

View Full Version : Primer Swapping

klw
12-29-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm low on large pistol primers and have a LOT of large rifle primers. Can I safely use the rifle primers in my magnum revolvers?

DLCTEX
12-29-2008, 10:13 AM
They are harder and may be difficult to get to fire with a revolver. I would reduce loads and work up.

bobk
12-29-2008, 10:48 AM
While you're at it, throw some of the test loads across a chrono. Before you get misfires, you will begin to see larger velocity variations. This is the perfect time of the year to test this sort of thing, too. Cold soak the ammo before testing. If no misfires, the primer is hot enough, and the hammerfall is vigorous enough.

Bob K

runfiverun
12-29-2008, 11:01 AM
seeing as how with some cst boolit loads in my rifles i use pistol primers and in some of my revolvers i use rifle primers.
i only see a brisance difference.
try putting a couple in your cases and pop them off.
see if they seat flush,or a bit below,then work up your loads accordingly.
i would also use a powder on the slow side for your case.

454PB
12-29-2008, 03:03 PM
What phineas said.

Years ago I bought a Ruger .44 magnum rifle that included a few hundred rounds of primed brass. The previous owner had used large rifle primers, and all of them protruded from the primer pocket enough that they would not chamber in a revolver, due to rubbing on the recoil shield. I punched them all out, worried that they might slam fire in the semiauto rifle.

44man
12-29-2008, 05:10 PM
DO NOT use LR primers in revolvers unless the cartridge calls for them. DO NOT replace LP primers with LR primers. They are longer, harder and create unsafe pressures. They can chain fire too.
Even the .475 and 45-70 revolvers do NOT use LR primers even though the parent case is the 45-70.
Stay away from advise of those that do foolish tricks.
There ARE cartridges that call for LR and SR primers but don't fool with the others.
I am NOT going to be the one to tell you it is OK!

deltaenterprizes
12-29-2008, 06:14 PM
do not use lr primers in revolvers unless the cartridge calls for them. Do not replace lp primers with lr primers. They are longer, harder and create unsafe pressures. They can chain fire too.
Even the .475 and 45-70 revolvers do not use lr primers even though the parent case is the 45-70.
Stay away from advise of those that do foolish tricks.
There are cartridges that call for lr and sr primers but don't fool with the others.
I am not going to be the one to tell you it is ok!

amen ! SAFETY FIRST!