PDA

View Full Version : How slow can they go?

superior
12-29-2008, 01:00 AM
I would like to know how low I can go with my velocity with a 40 sw out of a Glock 23 and still cycle the action, using bullseye or hs-6. Can anyone recommend a
SLOW load, a really slow load? My boolit is the Lee tl-401-75-swc .:Fire:

twidget
12-29-2008, 03:00 AM
You will need to experiment. Start at the recommended starting load and keep reducing the charge weight. When you get to the point where it doesn't operate the action go back up to the previous charge. If I was doing this I would use Bullseye and start with 3.0 grains. If that worked, then try 2.7 next. Keep going down until there is a failure to function, and then go back up one step. Be sure that bullets leave the barrel - check before each shot, visually or with a cleaning rod.

I've done this with revolvers and it is fun to be able to see the bullet on its way downrange, and then bounce off a plywood target frame. With revolvers you are almost guaranteed to stick a bullet in the barrel while developing a minimum load. A semiauto will probably fail to function before a bullet will stick, but be alert.

missionary5155
12-29-2008, 06:03 AM
Good morning You can also get a lighter recoil spring ( Make one by clipping the coils off one at a time) and I would think you can get down to 400 fps pretty easily... BUT MARK that cut spring and wrap masking tape around the pistol handle marked about the low resistance spring. You do not want that slide to free recoil with a FULL power load without a proper recoil spring.
Jesus Saves !

Shiloh
12-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Another option is to purchase one of known weight. Either a reduced power spring or a replacement for when you whittle down the original mainspring. Approx. weights are listed as well as stock spring weight

http://www.topglock.com/category/1037-Glock_Recoil_Rods_and_Springs.aspx
http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

Shiloh

beagle
12-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Each gun is an individual item unto itself. I don't think anyone can tell you an absolute "no sh_t" load that will function. You'll just have to experiment and see. I have a 9mm Browning High Power that's very easy on light loads but it's an exception from all the guns i have owned.

Most are pretty picky. You'll have to shoot and reduce and check functioning. When you get it almost functioning, go up about .2 grains and you're there./beagle

superior
12-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys!

superior
12-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Hey I just thought of something! Cant I get into trouble by reducing the powder charge too much? How about secondary explosive effect?

Lloyd Smale
12-29-2008, 04:59 PM
3 grains and a 150 grain swc will cycle my highpoint carbine but thats no guarantee it will in you handgun

1Shirt
12-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Minimum loads in anything can be a challenge, particularly if you fail to make sure what you have worked up clears the tube. Easier to make a mistake with a rifle than with a semi auto hand gun I believe. However easy to make the mistake if a revolver if you fail to check the tube.

Reminds me of a black powder muzzle loading event I shot in a few years back. The object was to shoot thru one side of a 5 gal bucket but not have the ball exit the other side at 25 yds. The winner of that event was able to dent the far side, with just a trace of a split, but the ball stayed inside. It was a 45 cal if I remember right and the charge was less than 10 gr. of 3FFF. My son in law and I also screwed around with a 58 musket one time with a 500gr. plus mini ball and got it down to 5 gr. of 3FFF, and had it exit. From the side you could watch it ark (softball style) down range. Have no idea of vol, but at 100 it did have enough energy to just barely stick in a soft pine 2x4.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Firebird
12-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Hey I just thought of something! Cant I get into trouble by reducing the powder charge too much? How about secondary explosive effect?

Not a problem with Bullseye or Red Dot, they burn so fast that ANY charge is essentially a SEE charge, all of it burning at once. That's why you can't use very much of either powder.

superior
12-30-2008, 02:35 AM
Well tonight I loaded 32 rounds of my Lee tl-401-175-swc. I used data that I wrote down about 20 years ago. The starting load for a 180gr boolit is 3.9 gr. of Bullseye. I loaded the 32 rounds with 3.8gr. Bullseye. Do you think I'll notice a difference in recoil from this round vs/ a 180 gr. with 3.9gr ? Can I take the 175 grainer down to 3.5gr. safely? How about 3 grains?

missionary5155
12-30-2008, 05:01 AM
Good morning Superior
Working with Bullseye you can safely continue to reduce to just about counting flakes of powder. Eventually you will hang a bullet in the barrel.
If you can notice a recoil difference between boolits that weigh just 5 grains in a 40 than you are one sencitve shooter.
Are you reading slowly the above information already written ?
God bless you...

superior
12-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Ok, got it ! Basically I can go as low as I want with Bullseye without fear of blowing up the gun, unless I hang one in the barrel and fire a round off behind it.

Shiloh
12-30-2008, 09:13 PM
My Lyman 48th edition list a starting load of 4.0 of Bullseye for a Lyman #401638 175 gr SWC sized at .401. This is a not a LEE TL but it should suffice as a starting load. I use the same boolit you do through a .40 cal. I would think that 3.8gr would be fine. 3.6 representing a 10% reduction should work also. Any less than that may not cycle and less than that could stick a boolit.

I would like to caution you about shooting cast boolits through a Glock barrel. Dangerous pressures can result. Years ago I KaBoomed a Glock 22 using cast boolits. Since then I have used a cut rifled barrel aftermarket barrel from FAC. These safely shoot lead as well as cast boolits. Federal Arms Corp is out of business but I think they are now called Storm Lake. Lone Wolf is another option as well as Briley or Jarvis.

Shiloh

superior
12-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the caution. I've shot 500 rounds of Hornady 180gr 10mm cast bullets through it already with 3.9gr bullseye. They shot great with no leading and accuracy was good so I'm thinking that these lee 401's will most likely be ok. I think avoiding a double charge is the key.
I dont use a progressive and inspect each case closely so I'm going for it. I haven't shot any so far but they seem to chamber just fine.