PDA

View Full Version : Mold guide- lee pro-20

snuffy
12-28-2008, 09:01 PM
I finally realized how dissatisfied I was with the so-called, cheesy mold guide that lee provided for the pro-20 pot. I thought for a while about how to make a better guide that would be adjustable for different molds. This is what I came up with;

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/PC280112.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/PC280113.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/PC280114.JPG

It works okay. It's an aluminum angle with two thicknesses of hard oak ¼". I had to take the pot apart to remove the original guide, drill it to attach it to the angle and do the other holes for the wood.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/PC280111.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/PC280110.JPG

It reduces fatigue of holding the mold while pouring, aligns the sprue directly under the spout. That's the main reason for this guide, getting the spout aligned with the silver stream smoothly, with the same amount going into each cavity. By swinging left or right, I can align the spout over molds of different widths.

That's a 44 lee 90432. I see it's no longer offered by lee, it's a nominal 250 SWC, casts at 255 with that alloy.

No_1
12-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Nice set up there. I always like to see people thinking and doing to make things better.

Robert

hedgehorn
12-28-2008, 09:16 PM
That is great! I need to figure out something like that for my saeco. I have a hell of a time hitting the sprue hole sometimes.

Shiloh
12-28-2008, 09:19 PM
So rotating your guide will center the sprue holes under the spout nozzle??

Shiloh

snuffy
12-28-2008, 10:17 PM
So rotating your guide will center the sprue holes under the spout nozzle??

Shiloh

Yeah, since the original guide is fastened off-center,(on the angle), rotating it changes the radius of the guide to move the centerline left or right. Not much adjustment, but enough to accommodate different widths of molds. I tried a Lyman 4 cavity 45 mold, I was able to center that wider mold. However the handle hit the al. angle, making it NOT go all the way under the spout. I'm going to cut the front edge of the AL. angle to allow the handle to pass over it. Lee molds seem to be the same width, so the double and 6 cavs. line up without adjustment.

mooman76
12-28-2008, 11:16 PM
It funny I hear of people tweeking the Lee products making them work better and you would think they would catch(with Lee) on a little. I've done a few things myself like to the challenger press.

georgeld
12-29-2008, 12:42 AM
Hell, I just set a short piece of 2" steel tube on the deck and it works swell.
IF it's not aligned when the stream starts I just move it over.
Nice thing about it being loose, is when drops and pcs fall behind it, can just move it and clean them out by hand without any trouble.

Idea's though, never hurts to come up with them.
I've had replies from John lee himself they might, won't etc consider suggestions when redesigning mentioned products. One I've told them about many times is to make a four 1lb cavity ingot mold in addition to the 1/2 and 1's they make now. They've lost a million mold sales by now. I've got seven and only one Lee. SAECO, LYMAN, and RCBS all have them.

I use their pin gage trimmer in a small drill press. but, there's not any easy way to hold the shell holder. I sent pictures of the handle I made with the base section tack welded to a 4" pc of 1/2" sq tubing. Slickest thing there is and much faster than their idea of pulling the rope gizmo, whole lot cheaper too.

What about the small dia, split end on the pins too?? No reason in the world to have a 250-half inch pin with a split 1/8's mounting thread end that breaks off. Damn, why not put at least a 1/4" threaded end on the bigger one's and sell both cutters??

There's a hundred or more improvements and they won't even consider them it seems.

snuffy
12-29-2008, 12:40 PM
George, I agree 100% that lee could do a little better with some of his equipment. Since I love to tinker, and this gave me something to think about while doing my boring job at work, I don't mind so much.

I thought about simply raising the pot up off the table, so I could more easily see under it to position the mold better. I could foresee problems with that, like it getting knocked off, or slipping off landing in my lap.

This just works better,a no brainer. Lee could certainly offer something like this as an accessory, or just include it with every pot for an extra 10 bucks or so. But would that price it above what the general public is willing to pay?

Railbuggy
12-29-2008, 03:42 PM
I got the 4-20 pot.It just gets in my way.Thanks for the tips.I may try something like that for my sinkers & boolits.

45nut
12-29-2008, 03:53 PM
I did something similar...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/Casting%20stuff/100_1525.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/Casting%20stuff/100_1526.jpg

zampilot
12-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Does anyone really understand how to use the Lee 'mould guide' as delivered? I moved mine outta the way for ingots and use a dipper for boolits.

snuffy
12-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Does anyone really understand how to use the Lee 'mould guide' as delivered? I moved mine outta the way for ingots and use a dipper for boolits.

NO! Well not me at least!:wink: I tried to rest a 6 cavity on it a couple of times, it kinda worked.:coffeecom It's too short for a single or double cav. but they're so light it isn't a problem.

The only problem I had, is overflowing the first sprue hole, some of it getting in front of the bottom of the mold, preventing it from sliding. I normally push the mold under the stream, but now I think I'm gonna "pull" it towards me.

imashooter2
12-29-2008, 10:14 PM

I use the factory guide with complete satisfaction. Not trying to belittle snuffy's improvements at all. Different strokes for different folks.

357maximum
12-29-2008, 11:59 PM
I use the factory guide with complete satisfaction. Not trying to belittle snuffy's improvements at all. Different strokes for different folks.

I too must be easily appeased....wurked fer me just licke huuked on foniks

cajun shooter
12-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Snuffy, Have you tried the Bull Shop Sprue Lube? The top of that mold says no. Not beating no drum but if you use Lee molds it's the cat's meox. Just sent 2 bottles to Wi to help out a friend.

snuffy
12-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Snuffy, Have you tried the Bull Shop Sprue Lube?

Yup, buckshot sent me,(I bought), 2 bottles 'bout a year back. When I decided to take pics of the set-up, I grabbed a 6 cav mold. Thought I had grabbed the 9mm mold, turned out to be that 44. I don't use it much, my SBH hates that boolit. That is some NEI mold release, basically it's just graphite in a solvent base. As far as bull plate lube, I wonder how the heck I ever got along without it! I keep finding new uses for it.

Like I said, it did absolutely nothing for me. Perhaps you could take some pics of how you got it to work, put them up here? It's too short and off to the side too much to be of use, TO ME.

imashooter2
12-30-2008, 12:30 PM
The alignment with the spout comes from pivoting the guide forward and backwards, moving the contact point with the curved upper edge inbd or outbd. You can see the edge clearly in 45nut's pictures. The short doesn't matter, the mold is still positioned and supported. Like I said, different strokes for different folks. You were unhappy and you changed the tool to make it work for you.

shotman
01-01-2009, 12:35 AM
You dont need to make anything. take a marker and put line on base . let lead fall . It will help fill out in the mold. I dont have much problems with a drip because I clean pot after about 3 casting times . One to keep it clean 2 to switch from lead to alloy. But that drip is good to line up mold. I have a Lee that is 25yrs old and it could pass as a week old. rick