PDA

View Full Version : wheel weight identification

superior
12-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Ok, I'm getting wierd floaters in the mix that dont seem to want to melt. Some, I've concluded are zinc wheel-weights. Also some of the tape on weights dont want to seem to melt either. How can I be sure that I'm only using the correct ww's? All tips appreciated.::?:

opentop
12-28-2008, 09:01 PM
if they float, skim em off! I've ran into some zinc stick ons in the last few months.

randyrat
12-28-2008, 11:14 PM
Score them with a hand held wire cutter. If they don't score then they are steal or zink.
Remember pure lead stick on WWs will naturally melt at a higher temp.
If you don't control your heat, the next best thing is to score each ww and sort before you smelt.
If it is a large WW you can drop them on concrete, zink/steal will make a "tink" noise like they are real hard and they will feel lighter than a lead WW.

superior
12-29-2008, 12:24 AM
OK cool thanks !

John Boy
12-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Superior, keep your melt temperature around 620 ... the melting temperature of lead. Anything that doesn't melt at this temperature - skim it and chuck it. Zinc melts at 787 degrees

WHITETAIL
12-29-2008, 08:45 AM
superior, I agree with what is said.
First sort your weights by sight.
Some zinc have zn stamped on them.
Not all! just some.
So take them out and put them in another bucket.
Then get a thermometer.:holysheep

cajun shooter
12-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Superior, Don't know about your part of the woods but not only zinc but steel WW has reached Louisiana. I was doing a smelt and had what I thought to be a zinc WW on top. I removed it and by chance had a auto mechanic's magnet for picking up the clips touch the WW and she grabbed on. I thought at first it was the clip ,but no I had a steel WW. I now have a bunch of them rascals taken from smelts.

jdowney
12-29-2008, 09:48 AM
There were about 2-3 pounds of zinc and steel weights in my last bucket. :holysheep

Got to stick to the more rural shops, fewer out of town cars, and cars just moved to town from places where they don't use lead weights.