PDA

View Full Version : Question for you artillery guys

44minimum
12-28-2008, 06:31 PM
I've been reading these books about long range reconnaissance patrols back in Vietnam, where they would drop off six or eight guys out in the jungle, sometimes with nothing but artillery support. And I got to wondering, when you fire artillery over a long range, seven or eight or 10 miles, how much of a factor is the weather? I mean, surely there must be an awful lot of things to take into account. The wind could be blowing three or four different directions and different speeds between the muzzle and the impact area. What about barometric pressure? And who knows what all else would affect the shell. Would heavy rain slow it down? Snow?

trk
12-28-2008, 07:19 PM
In calculating the trajectory back from the point of aim one uses a number of pieces of information that includes direction (to factor in the effects of rotation of the earth), elevation at the guns and at the target, powder temperature, and the effects of wind from the met message (direction and velocity taken at every 500 feet).

The battery fires in the 'adjust fire' mode - the oldest (shooting the least distance) two tubes (so all others will go farther away from US). The rounds are adjusted L-R and add-drop starting with a 400 meter bracket, the bracket is split and then split again until the rounds are within the bursting radius of the shells. When close enough the battery fires all the tubes in a pattern (sheaf) that covers the target.

FWIW

trk
12-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Snow, rain (if heavy enough) would preclude the use of the VT fuse (variable time) which transmits (and receives reflected signal) a radio signal to set it off well above the deck for an 'air-burst'.

13Echo
12-28-2008, 07:53 PM
During the Vietnam era when computing elevation (quadrant) and deflection for tube artillery we took into account direction of fire to account for rotation of the earth, air temperature, powder temperature, projectile weight, powder lot, winds aloft (from the metro message), difference in altitude between the guns and the target, tube velocity error, shell type, fuze type, etc. We also liked to have fired a recent registration to take into account all the tiny errors and deviations that are otherwise present. With a recent registration and good target data we could get very close on first shot and the observer could adjust rounds rather quickly on target. Frequently the observer only had a vague idea of his location. We would make our best guess calculation and send a round from the base piece or battery center guns and the observer adjusts fire. Even then a good observer could get rounds on target in three shots. If the observer has a good idea of the concentration of his target the Fire Direction Center (FDC) of the battery can adjust the fire of the individual guns to concentrate the rounds for best effect, otherwise the rounds will fall with the same spacing as the guns in the battery. A good battery can have rounds on the way within 2 minutes or less of receiving a call for fire. Even a battery on road march could conduct what we called a hip shoot and have rounds on the way within 5 to 10 minutes of receiving a call for fire.

Jerry Liles
ex Redleg

44minimum
12-28-2008, 08:01 PM
interesting information. But it does raise a couple of additional questions. Are the guys on the fire bases, where the artillery is, suppose to keep a constant monitor on the temperature of powder? How do they get the met message and know what the wind is like every 500 feet? It seems like putting a transmitter and receiver onto an artillery shell in a variable time use is an awful expensive way to make a shell. I wonder what those cost? No wonder our national debt is so high. Thanks for your input.

badgeredd
12-28-2008, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=44minimum;456260]interesting information. But it does raise a couple of additional questions. Are the guys on the fire bases, where the artillery is, suppose to keep a constant monitor on the temperature of powder? How do they get the met message and know what the wind is like every 500 feet? It seems like putting a transmitter and receiver onto an artillery shell in a variable time use is an awful expensive way to make a shell. I wonder what those cost? No wonder our national debt is so high. Thanks for your input.[/QUO

I have only one question for you. If you were the one calling in a barage, would you really be concerned about how much it cost to keep you from being hit?

Not being sarcastic, just making the point that our men are worth every cent spent.

The waste in the Pentagon budget is over MUCH bigger things like huge over-runs on contracts for aircraft and such.

Edd...been there done that.

13Echo
12-28-2008, 08:28 PM
The ammo section has a thermometer stuck into a powder bag. The meterological section runs regular balloon flights to measure winds aloft. All this is provided to the Fire Direction Center which includes it in calculating the proper quadrant elevation and deflection for the guns. During the Nam era the calculations were done manually with special slide rules called firing sticks and tables of corrections and log tables. We also had FADEC, Field Artillery Digital Automatic Computer. A "portable" computer that weighed about a hundred pounds, had all of 8k core memory and a 250kbyte disc drive, and required a 5kw generator to run. The operating system and program had to be loaded from a punched paper tape whenever the beast was started.

The VT fuze was a way to get an airburst without having to cut (set) a mechanical time fuze which often required additional time and rounds to adjust. It was a simple radio device and probably didn't cost any more than a mechanical time fuze. The amazing thing was it was done with vacuum tube technology. It would also function on clouds, in rain, and on flocks of birds. Air Defense Artillery used it a lot in late WW II. An airburst is a much more effective way to engage troops than a ground burst with fuze quick.

Today the calculations are done with computers, very fast and very accurately and locations of the guns and targets are usually precisely know from GPS and laser ranging. There are even terminally guided munitions that will adjust the trajectory in flight to arrive at a laser dot or GPS location.

Field Artillery, tube or rocket, is still the only tactical method of rapidly delivering precision, long range fire to a target in all weather. If in range of a Battery it's the Infantry's best friend.

Jerry Liles

trk
12-28-2008, 09:13 PM
interesting information. But it does raise a couple of additional questions. Are the guys on the fire bases, where the artillery is, suppose to keep a constant monitor on the temperature of powder? How do they get the met message and know what the wind is like every 500 feet? It seems like putting a transmitter and receiver onto an artillery shell in a variable time use is an awful expensive way to make a shell. I wonder what those cost? No wonder our national debt is so high. Thanks for your input.

The meterogolical balloon goes up periodically - with a radiosond attached measuring altitude, wind velocity and direction and sending that back. That message is relayed to the FDC (fire direction control).

VT fuse - yes expensive compared to the quick fuse, but most effective providing a shot-gun like effect on the enemy - ruining their weekend.

Boerrancher
12-28-2008, 09:28 PM
I am not a Gun Bunny, but I made sure I quickly became well acquainted with everyone on the gun crews each time I went to a new fire base while in Afghanistan. It was amazing while I was at Kwost, when we were getting pounded by rockets and mortars several times a week, with the assistance of the Q36 radar crew, the artillery boys from the 82nd had rounds going back many times before the 3rd round hit our location. In less than 120 seconds there was out going rounds impacting the enemy positions. I was glad they had my back.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

NSP64
12-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Most of the calculations are constantly monitored by the FDC. When in Germany(west) we would encounter all for seasons in one day sometimes. Anyone who has been to Graffenweir can verify this.

NSP64
12-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Q36 radar crew, the artillery boys from the 82nd had rounds going back many times before the 3rd round hit our location. In less than 120 seconds there was out going rounds impacting the enemy positions. I was glad they had my back.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

The Russians have something similar, That is why we practiced pulling into position, setting up, firing a round, then unassing the A.O. within 30 second of firing.:drinks:

NSP64
12-28-2008, 09:41 PM
My avitar is a M110 tube that a round went off in the tube at Graff. Photo was taken in garrison @ Nurenburg.:drinks:

44minimum
12-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks for contributing to my education as far as artillery goes, gentlemen. Seems like there is more to it than I even suspected. And thank you for your service to your country.

13Echo
12-28-2008, 09:51 PM
I well remember Grafenwoher. Even Bismark's troops called it the other side of the moon. There was an ancient orchard near a firing point by the Hoffenhoe (sp) church that still had good apples way back in 1969.

My battalion in Germany was 1/94FA at Furth just out of Nuremberg at W. O. Darby Kaserne. We had the M110 8" howitzers. That gun with the banana peal muzzle wouldn't have been from my old unit would it?

Jerry Liles

LIMPINGJ
12-28-2008, 09:52 PM
What would be an average altitude a round would reach before starting down?

Boerrancher
12-28-2008, 10:06 PM
I was told that on some of the high angle fire missions in Afghanistan the 155mm's were putting them up around 4 miles at the top of the arc. Like I said I am no Arty man, but I was glad they were covering my butt.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch

Joe

NSP64
12-28-2008, 10:30 PM
I well remember Grafenwoher. Even Bismark's troops called it the other side of the moon. There was an ancient orchard near a firing point by the Hoffenhoe (sp) church that still had good apples way back in 1969.

My battalion in Germany was 1/94FA at Furth just out of Nuremberg at W. O. Darby Kaserne. We had the M110 8" howitzers. That gun with the banana peal muzzle wouldn't have been from my old unit would it?

Jerry Liles

I was in the 3/5 FA at Merril barricks in nuremberg from 84-86.:drinks:
I believe the 1/94 is now a MLRS unit.

AZ-Stew
12-28-2008, 10:31 PM
You guys got it easy. Where we shoot from, the gun platform is movin' around like it's in a 15 point earthquake.

And THERE'S the beauty of a 16 inch round! It'll defoliate everyting within a 300 yard radius. Move the friendlies back and fire for effect! :mrgreen: :takinWiz:

Regards,

Stew

13Echo
12-28-2008, 10:43 PM
I have an obsolete set of GFTs (Graphical Firing Tables) or Sticks for the 8" up to charge 3 for the Special Weapon but it doesn't give maximum ordinate. I would need the Tabular Firing Table (TFT - the book) to get that info, but it can be a long way up, especially when firing high angle or at extreme range - many thousands of feet.

Jerry Liles

13Echo
12-28-2008, 11:07 PM
AZ-Stew,
We got it easy? Living in the mud, dust, rain, snow, or desert sand, always hot or cold, fighting mosquitos, sand flies, and scorpions, humping ammo by hand, no bath for weeks at a time, eating C rats or MREs, sleeping with the ammo or in a hole, moving everything at a moments notice and setting up, often several times in a day, maybe taking incoming? Yep Field Artillery's got it easy.

Current Naval guns are gyro stabilized with semi automatic loading and have a rather nice digital firecontrol computer that automatically controls the gun, and air conditioning. The really big guns are no longer in service. What's the Navy's idea of a gunfight? "Adopt an aggressive offshore stance. Send in the Marines. Drink Coffee."

Still I would love to have seen New Jersey shoot. There's just nothing else quite like a 16" gun to make a point and there is no doubt today's U S Navy is the best in the world!

Jerry Liles

NSP64
12-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Ahhhhh. Special Weapons- dig hole, get in, fire, wait for blast, run like hell. We lived in our m109 van. Thats where we were when the round went off in the tube. The tire chain barrel,(30 gal oil drum) caught a piece of the barrel.

Frank46
12-29-2008, 12:04 AM
We've all seen the WWII movies about beach landings. Way out you have the big guns the battle ships, in closer you would have the cruisers and frigate's and as close to shore you would have the destroyers. And to soften up the beaches those slow almost barges loaded with hedgehog or whatever they are called. You know what I'm talking about. Ship looks like a large lst but starts firing salvos of these things that woosh out and land on the beaches. Seems to me with the way our navy and landing forces getting leaner and meaner (fewer and smaller) the rocket launching ships could definitely do some serious damage to a beach before anyone sets a foot on dry land. The films that I have seen shows the launcing of the rockets at a high rate of fire. And I don't know the maximum range of those rockets. But with todays technology seems we could cobble up a few ships like the ones in WWII with better and bigger and more destructive payloads. So what do you think?. Frank

Echo
12-29-2008, 01:05 AM
I received an E with a .wmv attached showing a video taken by the opposition of an couple of insurgents firing a mortar. I wish I knew how to attach it here. They didn't get the fourth round off...

Heavy
12-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Thank You Arty. I am home today because of the support of all the ways we were covered in the field. Artillery,Air, and Naval gun fire. All are awesume to behold on the impact end of there work. Puff the magic dragon has burnt a image in my mind that will last for ever.

LIMPINGJ
12-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the answer on the altitude. I know it must be on up there as Ft Worth Center never seems to let us fly over the Ft. Sill Range in the King Air even though we are at FL240 or 250.

44minimum
12-29-2008, 06:44 PM
You mentioned that they had to keep track of the powder temperature. This implies that the powder and projectile are loaded separately. In all of the documentary's that I have seen, when they are firing artillery they just grab a giant looking cartridge and shove it into the breach, close it up and yanked the cord, then did it all over again. Are there two different kinds of artillery ammo?

mtnman31
12-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Great thread. If you want to see some impressive artillery, do some searches on the Panzerhaubitze 2000 (Pzh 2000), Germany's current motorized 155mm howitzer. The thing is very impressive. Other than it's massive size and weight, I'd say it leaves little to be desired in the way of artillery support. I've seen some video of these things doing TOT (time on target) fire missions and the end results are simply awesome... or fearsome depending on which end of the gun you are at.

Today's artillery technology is fantastic. As mentioned earlier by Boerrancher, the counter- battery RADAR is a godsend. It was comforting for me when I got to Iraq to see two counter-battery RADARs positioned on my base. These things could detect incoming rockets, artillery, and sometimes even small arms fire. Once detected, they estimate point of origin as well and point of impact. In short order they can take that info and relay it to the guns and have rounds in the air on their way to the bad guys sometimes before they even have time to get out of the area.

With todays technology, I feel stand-up wars of attrition are a thing of the past. I'm just thankful I am on the good side.

13Echo
12-29-2008, 07:12 PM
44Minimum,

All our current field guns have either semifixed ammunition (105 Howitzer) with a casing, or is separate loading with powder in bags and an interrupted screw breach with a special pad on the breach block that seals the breach. This allows the cannoneer to select the proper charge of powder to fit the mission. The projectile is rammed into the barrel so the rotating band is engraved by the rifling and the powder bags are loaded behind. The 105 also has a set of powder bags that can be reduced as needed like the bigger guns, but they are contained in a casing. The projectile is separate but is seated in the casing for loading into the gun. It is a handier system for light artillery. Tank guns use fixed ammunition without the ability or need to select the amount of propellant. Most German guns of WW II used cases for the propellant charge no matter how large the gun.

Jerry Liles

AZ-Stew
12-29-2008, 08:22 PM
13Echo,

Well, I don't think any of us had it EASY. I'd wager that your fighting hole never threw you out of bed in the middle of the night. In rough weather we had to strap ourselves in or wake up on cold linoleum. If you're in the lower bunk, this isn't much of a problem, but it's a fair drop from the top bunk. I'd also guess that you never had to walk on the walls to get to the latrine. Topside watches in the middle of the night during the winter with rain and salt spray are no picnic, either. Also keep in mind that it's really difficult for a bunch of sailors under heavy fire to retreat. Even if we had conquered the "walking on water" thing, there's damed little cover out there. And while we don't have to deal with the sand flies and scorpions, should we be unceremoniously evicted from our floating hotel, a few sharks can really ruin your day.

Our guns aren't directly "gyro-stabilized". The fire control computers take a signal from the ship's gyros and include it in the firing solution. I may be splitting hairs, but there is a distinction. During my service, the fire control computers were mechanical and electronic. The age of full-digital hadn't arrived yet. They used gears and synchros to generate a signal that the guns or missile launchers used to aim. We also hump ammo by hand, and it's an all-hands evolution. 5"-54 projectiles weigh 75 pounds and the powder/primer container weighs a bit over 50. Each round is carried by hand from wherever we receive it (usually amidships) to the magazines at either end of the ship and down several decks. The ammo is also fed to the loading mechanism by hand. The 16" projectiles are handled by machinery, since even the toughest sailor can't hand-carry a 2,700 pound bullet. Each of the six powder bags used to launch one of them weighs 100 pounds, and I'm not sure how they are moved from the replenishment point to the magazines. As you said, it's a moot point now, as much as I wish they had kept the Iowa class boats in service. Aboard ship, EVERYONE sleeps with the ammo and fuel.

There were other hardships, as well. We frequently went weeks without beer, as it (or anything similar) was not available aboard ship. The Brits and probably the Ausies have a daily rum ration, but the US Navy is dry. Fresh milk and eggs ran out after two weeks, as well, and we usually ran out of ice cream shortly thereafter. I'm telling you, it was no cake walk. I had to bail out after 9 years active and give the SEABEES another 7.5 years as a reservist. I did learn about MREs, C-rats M-14s (love 'em) and ARs (don't like 'em, but I'm building one anyway - just in case). I still carry my P-38 on my keyring after 38 years. It comes in handy as a screwdriver and occasionally as a can opener.

Anyway, this has been a fun exchange of inter-service jabs. I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have and I hope it's educational to some of the members who might be considering a stint in the military.

Best regards,

Stew

wildbill49
12-29-2008, 09:46 PM
While I haven't kept current on US Field Artillery, I served from 1959 to 1979 as both an enlisted and officer in several Field Artillery units, including 762mm rockets (Honest John), LaCrosse guided missles, 8 inch, 155mm and 105mm cannon artillery.

All cannon artillery would go through a procedure of registering their weapons. This process allowed for the fire direction center (FDC) to correct for non-standard conditions. These non-standard conditions included weather, variances in projectle weight and powder burning rates. The weather information was normally updated with metro data. This data was provided to the firing batteries by a FA Metro Unit. They would release a baloon with a radio transmitter and equipment to measure the presure and tempatures at various altitudes. The drift was also used to calcualte wind speeds at these altitudes.

This data was used to update registration data without having to fire more rounds. The data could be either used on the graphic firing tables, which were slide rules that you could write on to correct from the standard conditions, or if you were lucky you could put this data into your field artillery data computer, a very large portable computer that was issued down to battery level units during the later portion of Vietnam ('69 on).

As for the types of weapons, the 155mm, 175mm, and 8 inch were all seperate loading weapons, meaning that you first put in the fuzed projectle, weighing from 95 lbs to 200 lbs, then the powder charge, then closed the breach and put in a primer. The powder came in both white bag and green bag. The white bag started with a base charge equal to charge 3 and 4 additional bags, number 4, 5, 6, & 7; or the green bag which started with chage 1 - 5. The base charges in both white and green bag was covered with a red igniter pad. This had cannon black powder in it (about the size of pea gravel). The other bags had smokeless powder. After firing a mission, the unused powder was destroyed by burning.

The 105mm used a semi-fixed ammo that had a shell with the primer built into it. It also contained 7 powder charges, connected together with a string, then topped with a 33 lb projectle and a fuze. When the mission was received by the gun crew, it would contain which charge was to be used and the excess powder was pulled from the case and cut loose, later to be burned.

As for projectles, there were several types, HE or high explosive was the most common used, but WP or white phosphorus, illumination, sub munitions projectles that contained smaller bomblettes, and nuc's.

Fuzes included the most used, a super quick/delay, timed and variable timed. The superquick and a screw slot on the side that allowed you to dial in the delay featuer. This would allow the projectle to either bury into the ground or be bounced off of hard surfaces to give an air burst. The time was a mechanical time fuse that would go off at a set time. The variable time was in fact a fuze first developed for anti-aircraft use. It had a radio transmitter that would set the fuze off when it was in close proximity to it's target. In the FA it was used as an anti-personnal fuzed, give an air burst and move effective pattern on the ground. The VT fuze was effected by weather and wet ground.

As for the tempature of the powder, this was used, but only during registation and application of metro data. It was not required for every round fired.

I know there have been lots of improvements, such as the use of GPS and laser range finders that have made the FA faster and more effecient since I retired and I'm sure one of our readers will be glad to add his experience to this.

Wildbill49, the old cannon cocker.
:drinks:

13Echo
12-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Darn Wildbill, that's almost a synopsis of FM6-40!

Jerry Liles
another old Redleg

Tom Herman
12-29-2008, 11:20 PM
The VT fuze was a way to get an airburst without having to cut (set) a mechanical time fuze which often required additional time and rounds to adjust. It was a simple radio device and probably didn't cost any more than a mechanical time fuze. The amazing thing was it was done with vacuum tube technology. It would also function on clouds, in rain, and on flocks of birds. Air Defense Artillery used it a lot in late WW II. An airburst is a much more effective way to engage troops than a ground burst with fuze quick.

Jerry Liles

Hi Jerry!

My hats off to you and everyone else that has served our country. Thank you!
Would the fuse you described essentially be the Proximity Fuse of WW II fame?

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

fatnhappy
12-29-2008, 11:50 PM
My Uncle was a redleg in Korea and Nam, trained at woo poo tech no less. He spent more time in combat than I spent in service. He and I chewed the fat one night after my father's funeral, talking about artillery. Suffice it to say 44minimum, all your questions can be answered. It would take a bottle of bourbon and half a day to get a glimpse of the dark arts, but at the end of that day you'll feel comforted to know the king can put the balls where the queen wants them.

Old Ironsights
12-30-2008, 11:02 AM

Jerry Liles

I LIVED up on PA-N (and still have my map of the Impact area) when I was an (acting) FO (41st FA stationed in Babenhausen, 1988-1990)... Got really good with a range fan. Even still, I had one battery shoot out and drop one about 300m downslope from me.

Dug a 10" strip of shell case (you could still see the fuze-well threads) out of a tree about 10' over my 151 and gave it to the outgoing Battery Commander... :twisted:

Old Ironsights
12-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Ahhhhh. Special Weapons- dig hole, get in, fire, wait for blast, run like hell. We lived in our m109 van. Thats where we were when the round went off in the tube. The tire chain barrel,(30 gal oil drum) caught a piece of the barrel.

Never did get the hang of the W74 (stupid locking base...) preferred to be more "hands on" with the W33...

(jeez... that was a long time ago...)

Ever go "bowling" with target rings just to see the sparks? :twisted:

Phil
12-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Hey wildbill49,

Do you remember the 8" SP guns that were in use in the 60's? I can find no end of information on the 155 SP's (M109 as I recall), a variant of which seems to be still in use (like the ubiquitous M 113) but nada on the 8" jobs. I'd sure like to find some dope on them. I remember the Honest John, Nike Ajax, and was in a Nike Hercules unit in Germany. Ah, the good old days. Sadly, my memory of of all that stuff is really starting to fade.

Cheers and happy New Years to all,

Phil

Ricochet
12-30-2008, 11:39 PM
What would be a typical height for an airburst with a VT fuze?

Old Ironsights
12-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Hey wildbill49,

Do you remember the 8" SP guns that were in use in the 60's? I can find no end of information on the 155 SP's (M109 as I recall), a variant of which seems to be still in use (like the ubiquitous M 113) but nada on the 8" jobs. I'd sure like to find some dope on them. I remember the Honest John, Nike Ajax, and was in a Nike Hercules unit in Germany. Ah, the good old days. Sadly, my memory of of all that stuff is really starting to fade.

Cheers and happy New Years to all,

Phil

I was in one M110 (8" SP) unit or another from 1986 to 1990 (before going to 101's in AK)... Most of the 8" units eventually migrated to MLRS... A mistake IMO, but there it is.

Whaddaya wanna know? I may even have a -10 laying around still...

13Echo
12-31-2008, 04:07 PM
My last battery was 8", M110s, the early model with the short barrel from the WWII M115 towed howitzer. Max range was listed as 16,800 meters. The gun later got a much longer tube which extended range out to, I believe, 24,000 meters, sometime in the 70s or early 80s.

AS for height of burst on fuze VT it depends on angle of approach of the shell and the nature of the target. The stronger the signal return from the target the higher the HOB. The steeper the angle of fall the higher the HOB. With mechanical time we cut the fuze for a 20meter HOB. You took what you got with VT. I have an old copy of FM 6-40 at home. I'll post what it has to say this evening.

Jerry Liles

Old Ironsights
12-31-2008, 05:11 PM
All of our tubes were the longer type with the muzzle-brake....

Though we DID blow the equilibrators on a stubby once... the tube was shot out and the whole thing was going to Depot, so we loaded it up with FOD and a Charge 9 Red Bag (LOOOOOOONG Lanyard from the 109 Van...) and cleared a stand of trees for the Engineers...

Cool is not an adequate word for an 8" shotgun throwing 20gal of packed random FOD... :twisted:

13Echo
12-31-2008, 08:02 PM
OK according to FM 6-40, "Field Artillery Cannon Gunnery" Fuze VT will burst at a higher altitude over wet or marshy terrain and heavy foliage. I misremembered about the angle of fall as the burst height is less for steeper angles of fall.

Jerry Liles

Phil
12-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Hi Old Ironsights,

I was just looking for anything I could find on them. The ones the 2AD had at Ft Hood were all the short barrel variant as near as I can remember. Either the 109 or 110 had a habit of occasionally catching fire while under way. At least that is my memory of it. I used to go to sleep listening to them firing night exercises.

Do you remember what engine and drive train the 110 used? Should be in the -10 I think. Lost about all my old manuals in the garage fire last March. I would also be interested in knowing what the combat weight was.

The two most fun vehicles were the M88 and M114.

Thanks for bringing back a lot of memories guys.

Cheers,

Phil

AnthonyB
12-31-2008, 11:43 PM
All, when I went to FAOBC in 1989 we were told the VT fuse functioned at 7 meters. I watched them countless times through issue binocs and think that was a pretty close estimate. Tony

Ricochet
01-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks, Jerry & Tony!

I have a 175mm HE shell sitting in front of my garage between the doors. Gets lots of comments from visitors. Seems like it's around 130 pounds, empty.

NSP64
01-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Ever go "bowling" with target rings just to see the sparks? :twisted:

Hell yea. Used to kick em across the floor in the NATO bunker.:smile:

NSP64
01-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks, Jerry & Tony!

I have a 175mm HE shell sitting in front of my garage between the doors. Gets lots of comments from visitors. Seems like it's around 130 pounds, empty.

Seems like our 8" HE rounds weighed 200 lbs

NSP64
01-01-2009, 10:17 AM
We had long tubes and had to change them every 2500 round ( half the barrel life). What a PITA. When I was at Lewis before I went to Germany we had switched to the 'New' M198 towed 155 guns. Split trail, looong barrel.Reminded me of the Old German 88 gun. We had some wet powder once and shot short, ended up sticking a round into the side of a FO bunker overlooking 91st Div. prarie (impact area). Smashed the time fuse and didn't detonate(bunker was occupied).

Old Ironsights
01-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi Old Ironsights,

I was just looking for anything I could find on them. The ones the 2AD had at Ft Hood were all the short barrel variant as near as I can remember. Either the 109 or 110 had a habit of occasionally catching fire while under way. At least that is my memory of it. I used to go to sleep listening to them firing night exercises.

Do you remember what engine and drive train the 110 used? Should be in the -10 I think. Lost about all my old manuals in the garage fire last March. I would also be interested in knowing what the combat weight was.

The two most fun vehicles were the M88 and M114.

Thanks for bringing back a lot of memories guys.

Cheers,

Phil

http://www.landscaper.net/pdf/M110EquipData.pdf
http://www.combatindex.com/store/tech_man/Sample/M110/TM_9-2350-304-10.pdf