PDA

View Full Version : Laser sight questions

Gussy
12-28-2008, 05:21 PM
I got the wife a .22 for Xmas and she likes it and........ that is a relief!!!!!!!!!

She is somewhat handicapped and I'm quite certain a laser sight is the way to go for her.

Which one????? I would like to put it under the barrel with a custom mount and use a pressure switch (also would like the option of an on off switch in case the pressure switch doesn't work well for her). This is on a Ruger .22 auto, heavy 4 1/2" barrel. The trigger guard models really look like an easy thing to damage. I can make a barrel clamp mount, dovetail the bottom of the barrel or screw a rail on the botttom.

I've looked on Ebone and most look like junk. Cabelas has some. Where to look and which to buy?? Don't want to break the bank, but which will hold up and still be reasonable??
Gus

45nut
12-28-2008, 05:42 PM
By far the best system would be the Crimson Trace lasergrips,, midway sku# : 654662 @ $229.99

2nd choice:

LaserLyte Quick Release Universal Laser Sight for 3" Sub Compacts or Larger Rail Mount Pistols Aluminum Matte

Product #: 642689
Our Price: $99.95

And D&T for a short bit of rail under the bbl to mount it.

My nickle's worth.

HeavyMetal
12-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Not a big fan of Laser sights, but I will agree with 45nut: Crimson trace the way to go here!

Gussy
12-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Crimson doesn't make one to fit this model, just checked all over including their web site. Looks like an under mount is the only choice.

Also checked Ebone again and I can get a compact laserlyte for around $70-80 and will have to put a short under rib on.

What's the hot deal on a green laser??? Why green??
Gus

waksupi
12-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Gussy, I would suspect the reason would be, a goodly percentage of men are color blind. Red is one of the more common colors to not be able to register.
Just my guess.

Scrounger
12-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Green Lasers have longer range. They usually cost more.

45nut
12-28-2008, 07:07 PM
22/45, I forgot. Sorry.

NSP64
12-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Epoxy on a rail, get a cheap one from wally world($30.00),play with it. If she likes it get better one.

bobk
12-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I've played around with lasers, but you can't see them outside unless it's dark. Might make a neat way to direct fire with a cheapy night vision handset, use it as an illuminator. Do you mean a red dot? If so, scrounge up a Weaver mount. have at it.

Bob K

Boerrancher
12-28-2008, 09:46 PM
The reason for the green laser is that it can be seen in the daylight quite well. I am not a fan of lasers myself but I did put on on the wife's Walther. She does quite well with the iron sights but I wanted something that would work well in low light conditions like a dark house. Her Walther had a rail on the bottom of the frame so everything mounted up securely. I did not opt for the pressure switch just stuck with the push button on/off switch on the end of the laser. I know the switch will work every time and there is no wire to get caught on anything. She figured out real quick how to use it in low light conditions.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

waksupi
12-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Bob, I can see mine in daylight, but it does wash out, or become hard to see much past 20 yards.

bobk
12-28-2008, 10:00 PM
waksupi,
My eyes apparently aren't as good as yours.

Joe,
Maybe I ought to look at one of those green ones. I have a red, sits in a drawer.

Bob K

AZ-Stew
12-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Had to laugh my patoot off a couple of months ago while reading The American Rifleman. They were doing a write up on a new handgun laser sight that used a green laser. They claimed that the green version had less battery life than the red version. Little wonder. Whoever wrote the article misinterpreted the laser output power which, according to the manufacturer was 5mW. Unfortunately, the writer, in an effort to use up more space on the page, decided to translate mW from the abbreviation to full text. It came out as 5 MEGA Watts! As I sat there on the porcelain chair in the reading room laughing, I couldn't help but wonder, "Why bother with the pistol?". That explains the short battery life.

Regards,

Stew