PDA

View Full Version : Ingots and big lead bars!

jforwel
12-27-2008, 09:56 PM
I just received the Lyman casting kit for Christmas and I now have about 200lbs of WWs and another 200lbs of scrap lead. So I am getting close to starting the whole process of cleaning the metal and making ingots and then casting.

I have two questions.
1. With the Lyman ingot moulds, has anyone ever filled the mould enough so that all four bars come out as one bar? Or is there a reason why this isn't a good idea? It seems as though they would stack better this way.

2. I also have two massive chunks of lead that were poured into Chevy valve covers, probably from a 350 engine or something close to that size. :confused:What is the best way to cut those to a size that will fit in my pot? The pot is cast iron and about twelve inches in diameter. I'll be heating it with a turkey fryer.

Thanks for your advice.

Typecaster
12-27-2008, 10:11 PM
1. When I started smelting I thought the 4-up ingots would be a good idea...the problem is that the big ingot doesn't fit into the casting (not smelting) pot very well...especially if it's a Lee little driper. I ended up sawing through the web with the bandsaw. I do still make the big ingots once in a while when it's a special alloy that I want to keep separate.
2. Just stand 'em on end in the pot, brace them with something metal so they don't tip over. Once the bottom of the pot is hot and they start to melt, they'll slide down on their own. Once there is a little molten lead in the bottom, it'll go faster.

Richard

Jon
12-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I would make them single bars instead of one big bar. You'll have a hard time getting them in a melting pot.

As far as the large ingot, I'd take a sawzall to it with a long blade. A decent hacksaw would probably cut it up ok if you have the time.

DLCTEX
12-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Reciprocating saw, or skill saw, axe, hand saw, or stand the large ingots on end and let them melt (will take a lot of heat).

Echo
12-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Criminy. I have no problem at all with full 4-ingot molds. Flooding them brim full gives you about 5 lbs of alloy, and they stack nicely. Then, when you need to use them, use one block to swat the other at a dividing line, and they will break in two, at least my alloy will. Hold the target, ripple-side down, in one hand and swat it on a dividing line with another, in the other hand. If you are using pure lead, or a real soft alloy, maybe not.

mikenbarb
12-27-2008, 11:07 PM
+1 Easy Ed. I do it the same way but I leave a real thin connecting layer between them and just snap it by hand and put it in my furnace. Never had a problem at all with breaking them apart as long as the dividers are thin enough.
As far as the large valve cover ingots, I would just stand them on end and hit em with a big rosebud or large cutting torch torch tip and melt them down into the pot. And a circular saw will work with a good carbide blade just like cutting aluminum with one.

mstarling
12-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Never had a problem w the big ingots. They store particularly well. Just break them in quarters of in half when putting them in the pot ... sharp rap with a 2-3# hammer will do it easily.

jforwel
12-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll try the large ingot idea but keep the connection between them thin enough to break. The valve cover ingots will take some work but I'll git 'er done!

I just ordered a #3 ladle and some tin from the antimony man so that's all I'm waiting for now. I remember seeing a post in the past about him being a member here, so that's more good info from you guys.

Thanks again