PDA

View Full Version : Mating pins ?

tommag
01-01-2006, 09:24 PM
I have a question about adjusting the mating pins on my NEI 2 cavity mold. In the Lyman manual it says that if you can feel or see any movement between the mold halves to drive the pins a little deeper. When I try this with my NEI, I can rotate the blocks enough to have a ridge I can feel with my fingernail one way, then rotate and feel it the other way. I tried using a punch and small hammer and got no movement. I then tried a 13 oz hammer with a punch and still was unable to move the pins. Are these molds designed to not be adjustable, or am I supposed to try to find a punch that fits the block holes and maybe try to drive the steel sleeve in the mating holes? I was using a wood block with holes drilled to match the pins to set the mold half on. Man, I feel DUMB!

Buckshot
01-02-2006, 07:44 AM
................The pins are the ones that would move and not the opposing bushings. I'd warm the block half up that had the alignment pins. Aluminum has a much higher expansion ratio then steel, so should loosen their grip a bit. The aluminum may also have oxidized a bit around the pin so once heated up, a drop of light penetrating oil may help.

Good thinking about putting the block face on a piece of wood! The aluminum should be hot enough so that you can't hold it. Maybe hold a corner in some molten lead for 10-15 seconds. Place it down on the wood, give each a drop of oil and then a good shrap rap on the punch with the hammer and it should move.

..............Buckshot

tommag
01-02-2006, 09:46 AM
I,ll give the heat a try.
Wow, that worked pretty good. I meant to move the pins a couple of thou at a time, but got .04 and had to drive it back. I actually have pretty concentric boolits and nearly elminated the seam. Tom :grin:

Buckshot
01-02-2006, 08:55 PM
.................Good on ya. That was too easy.

............Buckshot